PDA

View Full Version : Don Pedro on Mem. Day?

MOBrien
05-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Anyone heading to DP next weekend?

Robbie Racer
05-19-2004, 07:09 AM
We will be there Memorial weekend (camping at Moccasin Point). My buddy Al (RocketJ) will also be there with his new HTM. Where are you staying and what kind of boat do you have? We will keep a look out for you.
Keith

MOBrien
05-19-2004, 08:10 AM
Not sure if we're even staying overnight or not. We're in Elk Grove and may just make it two back-to-back day trips on Sat & Sun. It's kind of a late decision to go and don't have any campground booked. We're running a 2000 Cheetah Stiletto 24....all white with purple & orange "scratch" graphics on the ass end....pic is attached.
What are you guys ridin' in?
-MOB

Robbie Racer
05-19-2004, 08:41 AM
MOB, love your graphics. I will keep an eye out for you on Saturday and Sunday. Where will you be launching at?
I have a 25' Carrera cat, white with red graphics with a blower motor sticking out the hatch. RocketJ has a 24' HTM cat, white with teal graphics. We will most likely be motoring about together on Saturday and Sunday on Don Pedro. Then we may go over to New Malones on Monday.

MOBrien
05-19-2004, 09:04 AM
so you folks have them speedy boats eh? You'll be easy to spot....oh wait, hear! Wish I could say the same about having something big & shiny sticking out...but no....can't. Total stocker only running 60mph fully trimmed out. Love to be on the water though and don't have to worry about being blown off the lake by wind/boat chop like many of my buds with their $50K board boats. They park 'em & we head for the middle!
Love having a 24!
Got any pics of your Carrera? I was lookin hard at them & HTM before going with the Cheetah....purely a price decision. This is our first boat and will look to upgrade bigger and badder on the next one when we are in position to place a factory order. For now it's all about lazy cruisin days with the wife & litt'lin, and our 24 will provide for us nicely. Thanks on the graphics....we really like it and it was a no-brainer for us when we saw it in person about 6 weeks ago.
Hope to see you guys out there next weekend.

MOBrien
05-19-2004, 09:11 AM
Oh yeah...........
Only been to DP 2x and both trips were houseboating bachelor parties....don't remember much. ;-o''''' Especially on how to get there or what the best ramp is to launch from.
Advice on that?
Thanks,
MOB

Robbie Racer
05-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Yeah, you ought to be able to hear us coming. I hear you about not having to be worried about being blown off the lake when the wind picks up. That's the main reason why I sold my 19' Eliminator and went with the 25' Carrera. You can either launch over by the dam at Fleming Medows or at Moccasin Point. I'm not sure which one is the easier for you to get to from Elk Grove. Both are good launch ramps but Fleming has more parking. Here is a link to a map of the lake: http://www.donpedrolake.com/mapLake.html
Here's a link to a picture of my Carrera:
http://www.zaxisracing.com/new_carrera_pleasure_boat_1.htm
Look forward to seeing you there.

MOBrien
05-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Nice lookin! Simple & clean. Can't tell 'cause of picture clarity....are those carbs anodized red? Bet that sucker moves & lookin forward to seeing it in person....we'll look for the red & white blur.
See you in the middle!

Robbie Racer
05-19-2004, 04:03 PM
The carbs (and air cleaner) used to be anodized red on the motor in that picture. The new motor has 3, 4 barrell Holley's on top. It's hard to miss as you don't see that set up every day. :)

MOBrien
05-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Awe come on! Are you F'n kiddin me with that thang?
Damn-it...Damn-it...Damn-it!!!
Can't compete.
Not going.
Pride hurt.
Half a man.
No blower.
EFI.
Nothin shiny.
No headers.
60 flat out. 60!
That's all she's got.
Not going, not going, not going!!!
JK, I'll be out there. Just look for the guy with heavy amounts of drool hanging from his chin & tears in his eyes. Wait, you won't see that.....you'll be goin by me too freakin fast.
Hope to meet you and see that carb set-up..........Nutty!
What's your HTM bud running? Please tell me a stock 350 volvo penta. heheheheh.......doubt that. :yuk: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Rocket-J
05-19-2004, 08:07 PM
MOB.
Welcome to the Hot Boat World. I wish my first boat was that nice. I would have saved a lot of money.
I am KZ's friend with the HTM. There are suppose to be some others from my work that are coming up too. We will watch for you. Welcome aboard. Al

MOBrien
05-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Al,
Thanks for the kind words & welcome. All kidding aside, I'm SUPER pleased with our first boat purchase. Grew up on dads 18' Kona flatbottom, then mom wanted a bigger boat and pops sprung for a used '81 s\Sleekcraft Ambassador that we had for like 16 years...used it on spring breaks with buddies in college. Then, when I wasn't paying attention, they sold it & no more boat trips. From that moment on, having one of my own was a huge goal for me. Finally got into position, wife gave the green light, found this Cheetah in LA, drove down to see it with check in hand, towed her home that Sunday. It was a no brainer & I just love it. Problem is, I'm a speed freak and may have a hard time staying out of the engine compartment. :-)
SSSSHhhhhhhhhh, if my wife heard that kinda talk she'd slap me.
We'll be lookin for you guys. Travel safely.
Is Moccasin Point a group of campgrounds or is it a "squatter's rights" area accesible only by boat?
-MOB

hulshot
05-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Hey MOBrien, ask Keith about my Howard. he knows it well. If you get that you can let others drool, and you can smile as you fly by them at a very high rate of speed. I am thinkin about taking it to DP on Sunday to hang out with Keith and crew. The difference in my boat over Keiths is the shinny is hidden under the scoop and it will haul all the groceries you want.

MOBrien
05-19-2004, 10:12 PM
If you bring it I hope to see it if we're out there on Sunday. We'll be there Saturday for sure.
I'll just have to be happy with being the slow & quiet guy for now.
Wait a cotton pickin minute....
wanna trade for a 2000 Cheetah? I'll detail it real pretty for ya.
JK

Robbie Racer
05-20-2004, 06:26 AM
MOB, to answer your question about Moccasin Point campgrounds: It's a group of campgrounds accessable by car/truck and it's all booked up for Memorial weekend. There are some boat in camping spots that should still be available if you want to give that a try. I haven't tried the boat in campgrounds myself.
Al (Rocket-J) is right on about you having a nice boat. My first, second and third boats were nowhere near as nice as your boat. I had to wait until I became an "old fart" to afford this boat. hulshot has a beautiful blown 26' Howard cat that he is going to be selling. If you are up there also on Sunday and meet him, you could probably talk him into taking you for a little cruise. If you have never ridden in a cat, it will be an experience that you will remember for a long time. :D
Al, are you leaving to go up on Friday night after work? Maggie and I are taking Friday off work, so we will be arriving LDP early that afternoon.
See you guys at the lake.
Keith

MOBrien
05-20-2004, 11:54 AM
RR,
Thanks....no buyers remorse for this guy. Never thought I'd realize the day of having a boat, let alone what we ended up getting.
I'm so excited that it's ours, we're all smiles, & I just wish I could convince my wife that we need to sleep in it every night. It was so weird putting it away in storage and leaving it there all alone, in the heat & cold & darkness & all locked up. It was like I dropped my kid off at summer camp or something........
I MISS HER SO MUCH!:cry: :cry: :cry: My eyes are welling up.
Hey, how are the beaches out there? Or are there beaches? Can't remember.
See ya,
MOB

Rocket-J
05-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Keith (RR),
We are going up after work on Friday, leaving around 2pm.
I am taking both the pick-up and the motor home, just incase we decide to hit up more than one lake.
With you and Hulshot way out front, I'll have to run with the other boats, jet skiis and canoes. Al

hulshot
05-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Hey Al thanks but I got nothin to prove I drive slow also, this saves the gas bill, the drive, the motor, and the chance of getting into trouble. lokking forwards to seeing everyone on sunday

Robbie Racer
05-21-2004, 06:33 AM
Al, I'm with Don. Got nothing to prove by thrashing the drive and burning all that extra high priced 91 octane gas. I found out a couple of weekends ago at Berryessa that I can cruise at 60 mph without opening the power valves in the primaries (and the secondary jets) at an easy 3,000 rpm using my new 34 prop. It still probably won't get nearly the fuel economy that you get but at least it will go further. At WOT it uses close to 100 gallons per hour. :eek:
MOB, to answer your question about beaches at LDP. I can't remember either. We have never beached it there and I don't remember seeing any beaches.
hulshot, which launch ramp is easier for you to get to from Disco Bay? We can meet you guys on Sunday in the water out in front of either the Moccasin Point or the Fleming Meadow's launch ramps.
Keith

bocco
05-21-2004, 07:02 AM
There are very few spots on Don Pedro where I would beach a boat that I cared about. Most of the shorline has a lot of mud and rocks. I recomoend the anchor with the bungee to tie off shore at the campgrounds. And if you find a spot that looks good to beach have someone on the bow watching as you pull up.
Gary

MOBrien
05-21-2004, 03:41 PM
bocco-----
thanx for the heads-up on beachin at DP. I always have a spotter, but it's very nice to know to be extra careful.
All----
I am in need some advice on anchor & line set-up. The guy I bought the boat from scavenged that stuff out from under me and I just bought all the accessories...just need advice on proper set-up. I've got the anchor, anchor buddy, 3' of rubber coated chain, buoy, 100' roll of 7/16 soft braided extension rope for both deep water anchoring and a transom line, and 4 extra quick clips. Can someone give me an idea on best way to put this thing together? How much of the 100' should I put on the anchor line? How much should I have for an effective transom line? In what increments do you recommend me putting the additional clips on the anchor line. I am asking 'cause I don't want to have to mess with it again and want to do it right the 1st time.
For some reason the right configuration is confusing me. Am I a moron for even asking this Q?
-MOB

hulshot
05-21-2004, 09:35 PM
Robbie racer flemming meadows is closer for us but what ever. We may just use racer 52's Wifes ski boat but we sill know as time gets closer. I still dont have a prop. Mine is still on loan and I have waynes 32 on loan but I only want to use it to check speed and not to cruise and run the risk of damaging it.
did I hear you right you are running a 34??? wow. I cant spin anything over a 24 and that is pushing it, maybe a 21 aluminum would work for me??

acatitude
05-21-2004, 10:30 PM
gee as an after thought im still hoping to there saturday or sunday, which day you going Don?

Robbie Racer
05-22-2004, 07:38 AM
hulshot, I only use the 34 for easy days on the lake as it's cupped and is too much prop to get max speed out of. I can only spin it 5800 (118 mph) but it's great for cruising at low RPM's and with the extra cup, it gets the boat on plane easier than with my lab 32. You are welcome to use my lab 32 if you want to try it. Was that the one you tried before of mine or was it my lab 30 that you didn't like? Yeah, just let me know next week where you want to meet. Since Fleming is closer and it has a much bigger parking lot, that may be the best place to meet.
Ken, Don's going on Sunday (Troy may go with him). Is that when you want to meet us there also?
Looking forward to seeing you guys there.
Keith

hulshot
05-22-2004, 09:34 PM
It was the 32 that slipped bad likely because of the weight of my pig. Put the 30 in you truck for me to cruise with. Ken and I might be working a deal. I will call you and tell you the details.

acatitude
05-23-2004, 01:09 AM
Im planning on going Sunday, will meet wherever you all decide.

paradigm shift
05-23-2004, 07:25 AM
Hey guys can you tell me about Fleming Parking on a Holiday. Do they have enough truck and trailer parking or do they run out? Not worried about camping just a place to park. What about a normal non-holiday weekend. Not sure we can make Memorial Day but we have been wanting to make a short trip North to visit Don Pedro. Thanks

Robbie Racer
05-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Paradigm, I have arrived at the Fleming launch ramp last year on a holiday weekend and still found parking available. There was a pretty long line to get launched but since they have a lot of launch lanes it moved pretty quickly. They have always had parking available on normal non-holiday weekends when I have been there.
Ken, see you there on Sunday.
Don, I will be bringing my lab 30. Al wanted to give it a try too but he could try it on Saturday and you could try it on Sunday if you wanted. Can't wait to hear the deal with Ken.
Keith

bocco
05-24-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by paradigm shift
Hey guys can you tell me about Fleming Parking on a Holiday. Do they have enough truck and trailer parking or do they run out? Not worried about camping just a place to park. What about a normal non-holiday weekend. Not sure we can make Memorial Day but we have been wanting to make a short trip North to visit Don Pedro. Thanks
Flemming has lots of parking. When the paved lot is full they have a large dirt lot for overflow. It's a pretty good hike back to the ramp and your truck will be dirty when you get back. But it seems like lately fourth of July is the only weekend that gets that bad.
Gary