PDA

View Full Version : XM Radia Antenna

cdog
05-18-2004, 11:33 PM
What kind/brand of XM antenna do you use for marine use? The guy at al & ed's is trying to sell me the black one that they use in cars.

SCUBA STEVE
05-19-2004, 06:00 AM
I have sirus radio in my boat. The antena looks like the one I see on cars. :cool:

ROZ
05-19-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by cdog
What kind/brand of XM antenna do you use for marine use? The guy at al & ed's is trying to sell me the black one that they use in cars. if you have an old XM RECEIVER, you may be stuck with buying a marine antenna. WWW.TERK.COM ... The reasonis say old is that the new receivers and antennas are one cable, while the old style was 2 cable connections. Regardless, they work the same. the car models are usually magnetic, but a small magnetic plate could be mounted on the boat for the antenna to mout onto. Also, the antennas can be painted almost any color you want as long as you DO NOT PAINT IT WITH A METALLIC PAINT.
Hope this helps...

riverbound
05-19-2004, 10:39 AM
We use the normal car xm antennas and in my boat it is stuck to the top of the radio (magnet mount) it will recieve signal through the fiberglass. I have only done 2 boats to date where the antenna had to be visible. If you do have the older style reciever We also have the 2prong to 1 adapter. by the way, which AL&Eds did you go to?

cdog
05-19-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by riverbound
We use the normal car xm antennas and in my boat it is stuck to the top of the radio (magnet mount) it will recieve signal through the fiberglass. I have only done 2 boats to date where the antenna had to be visible. If you do have the older style reciever We also have the 2prong to 1 adapter. by the way, which AL&Eds did you go to?
I know the guy who owns the one in Brea. He say's they use the car one. I was'nt sure.

phebus
05-19-2004, 10:51 AM
riverbound, What is the cost of the 2-1 adapter, and is it compatible with any reciever?
Thanks

cdog
05-19-2004, 10:55 AM
I have a new 04 Premier receiver DEH-P760MP.
The XM brain is on back order.
I would like to use the new pioneer marine remote CD-MR70 but they are not out yet.
So i might have to go with the Access Tech.
Any suggestions?

riverbound
05-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by phebus
riverbound, What is the cost of the 2-1 adapter, and is it compatible with any reciever?
Thanks
$20, I havent come accross a tuner that it hasnt worked on yet.

riverbound
05-19-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by cdog
I have a new 04 Premier receiver DEH-P760MP.
The XM brain is on back order.
I would like to use the new pioneer marine remote CD-MR70 but they are not out yet.
So i might have to go with the Access Tech.
Any suggestions?
Good luck on th pioneer xm tuner, we have been told we might see them around august. Terk is coming out with an adapter that will allow you to run their reciever with pioneer radios that piece should be out in about a month. I havent heard of a release date yet on the marine remotes.

phebus
05-19-2004, 11:04 AM
riverbound, check your PM

riverbound
05-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Got it

KACHINA KEN
05-20-2004, 11:59 AM
I use the marine terk xm model and it never drops, even at the back of canyon lake in PHX, if you zoom in on my avatar you can see it mounted on the side of the gunwale.
Kenny

ADAM GARCIA
05-20-2004, 01:33 PM
any xm ant will work as long that it is in plain view wfs