PDA

View Full Version : Can you afford your toys?

gnarley
05-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Now that gas has gone up and cutting into the recreation budget can you afford to go play with your toys or are the increasing prices going to leave you at home more this year?
For me it will be felt but we can still go play and worry about it to much.

Sleek-Jet
05-19-2004, 03:30 PM
No, the high gas prices won't affect my playing plans
That is also why I drive older vehicles and don't buy new boats.
... even if it is a headache sometimes, I've always got a little play money on hand. :D

beer hunter
05-19-2004, 03:32 PM
I'll just save a little less, it's not a huge portion of my budget (thank God!) :)

slink
05-19-2004, 03:34 PM
Who needs gas......drop in up by the dam and eventually end up down at Blue water (floating), bum a ride back to the trailer, pick up the boat and do it all over again :D :D :D

dimarcobros
05-19-2004, 03:34 PM
I go with a budget every weekend and try not to go over.....it never happens, I am always over. I am young so I figure this is the time to play hard.
DMB

mirvin
05-19-2004, 03:38 PM
Somethings gotta give...maybe I should give up the crack and the crack whores;)
mirvin

slink
05-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
Somethings gotta give...maybe I should give up the crack and the crack whores;)
mirvin I thought pimps didn't have to pay for it:D

77charger
05-19-2004, 03:43 PM
I usually dont go to the bars for inflated drink prices and cover charges,take my own food to bbq and stay in a campground so i save money and will spend it there on gas.10 years ago after room,gas,and bars.It use to run me a little over 300 now it will run me about the same for a weekend
Truck gas-120-140
boat gas-60-70
camp fees-60
then food for bbq

phebus
05-19-2004, 03:48 PM
I can't afford not to have them. A psychiatrist would cost a lot more....... :D I'd go crazy :eek:

riverbound
05-19-2004, 03:52 PM
I wont let something like gas prices ruin my fun, work too hard and when it comes time to play I won't let something like that get in the way. I will cut my expenses in other ways, drinking til I pass out ,wont have to buy dinner or lunch:D
Plus I will spend more time floating or at the sandbars instead of driving up and down the river.
I will also spend less time at the bars and drink the alcohol in my coolers instead.
But either way when I go I usually have a pocket full of cash and a credit card, when the cash disappears its all on the plastic, I'll figure out how to pay for it once i'm sober and at work.

Music to my Ears
05-19-2004, 04:04 PM
That's what the months November thru February are for. To pay for the summer boating bills.:D

Ziggy
05-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
I wont let something like gas prices ruin my fun,
Thats just what the gas companies are banking on...and they'll keep jacking up the price.
I bought a new boat to save on fuel costs overall and get a little more top speed to go with it.....I just really miss my old rooster tail though;) and the ability to go deep(in the coves):D

77charger
05-19-2004, 04:15 PM
One reason it will still cost me the same as 10 years ago i went from a boat that sucked down lots of av gas and premium so 2.25 was the norm.Then my old 78 chevy seemed to only want to get 6mpg but the gas was only 1.05-1.15 then.
Now my truck gets 10mpg,and the boat goes ALL WEEKEND on 30-35 gallons.I sure like that small block now

ahhell
05-19-2004, 04:16 PM
Hell no...i expect to get bent over on vacations.a motorhome and a boat in a cove still cheaper than a room in vegas, and a hell of alot more fun:)

jbtrailerjim
05-19-2004, 04:22 PM
The high gas prices are the only reason I'll miss my old small block powered boat. It's not going to stop me from going to the river more often but I'll just be little more conservative on the throttle.

cc322
05-19-2004, 04:31 PM
I have a company truck so I save on gas every day of the week, I also go on call once a month plus do other overtime, this helps pay for our river trips. The price at the pumps will be felt but I wont let it ruion my plans, I work to many hrs OT not to enjoy myself. We also buy all our food and cook it at the condo where we stay, and buy the beer from the store ,alot cheaper tan going out to eat. I was thier a few weeks ago and paid 2.07 at cheveron has it gone uo since than?

dicudmore
05-19-2004, 04:31 PM
yes it will definitely hurt....
of course the gas prices have hurt my income as well so its a double whack.
still gonna go out and have fun just spend more time with the key off floating

Debbolas
05-19-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Music to my Ears
That's what the months November thru February are for. To pay for the summer boating bills.:D
What do you do?
for a living?

Roxysnow
05-20-2004, 07:38 AM
No, I guess I am buying the Keystone instead instead of Coors! Feels like high school again! And now everyone is chipping in!

Jordy
05-20-2004, 07:44 AM
I too have a company truck with a fuel card so my truck just sits in the driveway waiting to pull the boat to the lake/river. Granted it was $65.00 to fill the tank up the last time I did. Damn diesel prices.
As far as the boat, it runs on Av-gas which seems to stay relatively stable when the other prices go up. I think I paid $3.00 a gallon last time I filled up. But when I fill up, it's good for 4 or so trips out.
It ain't nothing but a thing. :D

RexRathburn
05-20-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by slink
Who needs gas......drop in up by the dam and eventually end up down at Blue water (floating), bum a ride back to the trailer, pick up the boat and do it all over again :D :D :D
Ha ha...that's funny! When we float down river, a friend of mine always says, "We own some really nice, expensive rafts!":D :D
Gas prices haven't changed my boating habits...ya gotta pay to play.

boatnam2
05-20-2004, 08:17 AM
4 trips jordy jesus christ start that thing up and drive it a little bit.100 gallon tank in my boat no problem filling it up more than once in a weekend.

Jordy
05-20-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by boatnam2
4 trips jordy jesus christ start that thing up and drive it a little bit.100 gallon tank in my boat no problem filling it up more than once in a weekend.
It's got 90-100 gallon capacity with both tanks and I run it everytime I'm out there cause I'm usually trying to work out the top speed issues. With a 468 and an 8:71 fed by 2 850's she has no problem drinking the fuel. :D

lucky
05-20-2004, 08:33 AM
let alone a boat - kids , fuel , house payment - breathing , condoms , I can't even afford milk

Dave C
05-20-2004, 08:48 AM
No,
gas is expensive but if you gonna play your gonna pay.
If your gonna worry about the price of gas maybe boating is not the sport to be into but rather something a little slower like maybe kayaking..;)

fourspeednup
05-20-2004, 10:15 AM
The gas prices have affected my boating. Although I figure I've already saved a lot after breaking it earlier in the season so it hasn't been out that much;) Being a college student with little, part time income and having a performance boat fetish is rough but I have learned to budget. Basically means fewer long weekend trips and more local afternoon stuff. Also, sitting in the driveway drinking beer with the stereo blasting and a battery charger hooked up is a little like being at the sandbar.:rolleyes:

SoCalOffshore
05-20-2004, 10:23 AM
I employ a sound financial planning principal....
I have no budget!! :D

gnarley
05-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by SoCalOffshore
I employ a sound financial planning principal....
I have no budget!! :D
I like it!
Kind of like if you have to ask you can't afford it?

Dave C
05-20-2004, 12:50 PM
whats a budget?:confused:

manuel
05-20-2004, 04:01 PM
If you compare a weekend of boating to 1 day for 4 at Six Flags or Disneyworld boating looks CHEAP, even dinner out and a movie plus snacks and drinks for a family of 4 makes boating seem more reasonable, AAA just released their findings from a poll and it doesn't seem like ANYBODY is cutting back because of the prices, I'm sure not! premium here is $199.9 and a fill up is 80 gal. for me, my boat is dead at the moment but as soon as my pump is back together I'll be out there.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/950Shell.jpg :D

Debbolas
05-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Talk about sticker shock, when we first filled up our new 26ft boat, it was like $100. Our 19ft SeaRay was NEVER that much.
$100-boat fill up
$100-RV fill up
Cost of going to the River?
PRICELESS!!!!!
:D

1stepcloser
05-20-2004, 04:15 PM
The cost of fuel has made me rethink a few things....but I doubt I'll change anything. A typical weekend at Havasu runs about $200.00 if the boat doesnt need gas. Add about $125.00 if I have to fill the boat.
Round trip in the truck runs around $150.00.
Beer around $30.00
Food around $20 to $30.00. Monthly site is $300.00
I will say that I dont just cruise around in the boat as much as I normally would. Hanging out more this year.

Rexone
05-21-2004, 02:48 AM
I heard someone talking about this on the radio yesterday about gas actually being no more money today than it was in 1980, indexed for inflation. So I took the time to run some numbers and it seems to be true.
You take 3% inflation for about 23 years and prices double. 3% seems about average with some years higher some lower... I did not research that. If it were 5% it takes about 14 years to double.
So being gas in CA is around 2.27 here in so cal right now that means 20 years ago using the 3% average figure it should have been about 1.13. Now me not being a gas price history guru of any kind couldn't remember what gas cost in 1980 so I just did a search and came up with this...
gas price history (http://www.ghgcorp.com/stuart/gasprice/gasprice.html)
another one (http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/steo/pub/fsheets/RealMogasPrices.html)
These charts indicate that "adjusted for inflation" gas prices are really no more now that prior decades and in terms of buying dollars are actually less now than the early 80's when the gas shortages abounded.
Interesting stuff. Made me feel a little better paying $2.27 anyway. :(
Now if it actually gets to $3 (in town) that will be worth feeling ill will about because then the price will have far exceeded the inflation rate of the past 20 years or so. Gas has always been more out on the road in remote areas so I don't even consider that when looking at prices.

mtndewdrops
05-21-2004, 05:22 AM
As a boater, you must expect the prices to increase as summer draws near. This is why you must work your A$$ off during the winter months and stash some CA$H so when the summer hits you are ready.
$150 to fill the SUV (Round Trip from So. Ca)
$150 to fill the boat (Lasts for 2 weekends)
$1100 month vacation home
=$1400 month Boating Habit for once a month
=$1550 twice a month $775 per trip
=$1850 three times $616
=$2000 four times $500
As you can see, the more I use it, the better the average price per trip!!! That is my Logic. I am more concious about Mortgage Interest Rates:wink:

shueman
05-21-2004, 05:39 AM
If you look at current costs vs. 1980 on OTHER THINGS, gas is still CHEAP..!!
Bought a new 1600sf house for <$50k
2bd apartments were $400mo
6pk of Coors was 1.29
TV was over the air
Electricity was $130 in peak summer
Coffee and a donut was $1 at Winchell's
My new 18' bubbledeck jet was <$5k
"I'm makin a livin cause I'm livin on what I'm makin"

lucky
05-21-2004, 06:30 AM
granted , inflation went up - but wages didn't - except for minum wages - ---- My boat - 70 gallon of fuel - x 2.5 = ouch == I'm going to camoflouge my trolling mota to look like a blower engine - Ohh --- still MILK 4.00 bucks a gallon - I"M GONNA have to get momma pregneant ( o ) ( 0 ) " I'll have to name my coffee " lactating latt'eee " lnum num num :eek:

Debbolas
05-21-2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by mtndewdrops
As a boater, you must expect the prices to increase as summer draws near. This is why you must work your A$$ off during the winter months and stash some CA$H so when the summer hits you are ready.
$150 to fill the SUV (Round Trip from So. Ca)
$150 to fill the boat (Lasts for 2 weekends)
$1100 month vacation home
=$1400 month Boating Habit for once a month
=$1550 twice a month $775 per trip
=$1850 three times $616
=$2000 four times $500
As you can see, the more I use it, the better the average price per trip!!! That is my Logic. I am more concious about Mortgage Interest Rates:wink:
I like your logic, the more often you go to the river, the less expensive it is!!!:D

DeltaSigBoater
05-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
The gas prices have affected my boating. Although I figure I've already saved a lot after breaking it earlier in the season so it hasn't been out that much;) Being a college student with little, part time income and having a performance boat fetish is rough but I have learned to budget. Basically means fewer long weekend trips and more local afternoon stuff. Also, sitting in the driveway drinking beer with the stereo blasting and a battery charger hooked up is a little like being at the sandbar.:rolleyes:
GOTTA AGREE... But I have to say that when school is in sesson I (and I know I'm not the only one) do squander money on shit I dont really need; expensive alcohol, non-fast food meals, shit that seemed like a good idea at the time, & other.
Last year (at this time) it cost me $100 fill 1/2 up.
I dont even want to think what it going to cost this year.

77charger
05-21-2004, 03:12 PM
I have been doing that the last 2 months working on saturdays and picked up some o/t a couple of times.So far i have saved about 2k which is just for boating this summer.I get to work saturdays about any time i want to but most time i have been using the money for toys now i have what i want and plan on skipping working weekends and now enjoy it.
winter-work hard(i go to glamis but i dont have to gas up a boat)
summer- play
It will cost me about 300-350 for a weekend total so i guess i have about 7 weekends covered:)

mtndewdrops
05-21-2004, 03:22 PM
77 Charger, sounds like you have been working hard, soon it will be time to enjoy the payoff.
I work a lot of o.t. also, average 52 hours a week. Then when summer hits, down to forty and take advantage of the 3 day weekends and week long vacations. By the end of summer I am broke, the credit cards are worn out. Then the cycle repeats itself again.

77charger
05-21-2004, 05:13 PM
77 Charger, sounds like you have been working hard, soon it will be time to enjoy the payoff.
I work a lot of o.t. also, average 52 hours a week. Then when summer hits, down to forty and take advantage of the 3 day weekends and week long vacations. By the end of summer I am broke, the credit cards are worn out. Then the cycle repeats itself again.
48 hrs a week is o/t for me but like i said i do well with ot.My goal is to not use the charge card so far i am good to go hard work pays off then all over again:) Makes me feel good though when i will be on the water.This year i am taking my toyhauler and leaving in needles i plan to make at least once a month.So far i have 5 trips planned by the end of july:) :)

Cheap Thrills
05-21-2004, 05:48 PM
gas prices arent likely to hinder my boating this summer .
however my eating habbits have changed a bit . I'm the only person down at the "soup kitchen" dragging a Jetboat :D
C.T. :wink: