PDA

View Full Version : Have 496 want add HP

Kona Jet
02-14-2002, 03:06 PM
What do you recommend for making a 496 HO faster? I know I know should of gottten a 502 bit I didn't so I will start with what I have :-) I want to gain the most HP at the most cost affective manner. Does that mean a blower or a supercharger like procharger.
Thanks for the help
Kona Jet

NashvilleBound
02-14-2002, 05:25 PM
Is it a new 496HO? Smartcraft? If its new then just bolt on, ya right, a Vortech or Whipple supercharger. Thats a great choice for the powerplant. What kind of boat is it in? When you add 200+ more HP your going to need to upgrade you steering, drive, tabs...a bunch of stuff. I have been researching this for my HP500EFI and have learned the most important thing is to have someone that knows what they are doing install it. Don't go cheap and try to do it yourself. Good luck, NB

sea buddy
02-19-2002, 06:53 AM
A new, even higher, 496 HP is in the works. Say, 515-535 hp stock.

Kona Jet
02-19-2002, 10:24 AM
It is going in a 27 ft tunnel(cougar).. Is there anythig I need to add/change on the motor ie; valves,pistons,rings,cam, ect?? or is the kit bolt on and go. I built the boat with the upgraded sterring in the mind set I was going to add more power someday. So that is why I am asking the question to know what I need to save for and not save for :-)
Kona Jet

VitaminSea
02-19-2002, 04:09 PM
Kona, call Couger and ask them. They had a Whipple charged 27 MTR at the L. A. boat show last year and I was tempted but decided I could not afford the boat and the divorce. I think the Whipple was on a 502 EFI but not positive. I believe that they had a Brovo xr as the drive. They were claiming 95 to 97 mph out of the set up. I'll stay with my Scarab at this time. Cliff

Charley
02-20-2002, 08:11 AM
kona, email Dustin at Whipple, he is on these boards alot, search the archives and click on his info. He is a very cool guy and always willing to help!