PDA

View Full Version : 455 olds ??

h2oboy
04-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Having trouble finding wires for a 455 olds at the local parts store... Can anyone tell me what I should be asking for... Picked up a set and they turned out to have the wrong size fitting on the distributor end... Guess half the problem is they are trying to figure out which year the engine is (and I have no idea... 1075'ish I tell them).... Anyone give a young guy a lesson here... Thanks in advance....

YeLLowBoaT
04-02-2006, 09:24 PM
yeah grap a wire and take it in with you. then have them get all of 455 old wires out and match it up. Now if you don't have a wire, take the dist cap in with you and do the same thing.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-02-2006, 09:26 PM
drive up to carquest in mesa and I'll take care of you!!!!! BRing one of your old wires and Ill make sure that they are right;) We are on main st and gilbert road. 480-962-4211 ask for michael aka "axel foley" ;)
It will depend on if your distributor is hei or points..........

Old Guy
04-03-2006, 03:49 AM
Everything you ever wanted to know about an Olds....
http://www.442.com/
:)

DelawareDave
04-03-2006, 04:08 AM
GM (automotive) used point distributors til 71, and started the changeover to HEI in 72. I believe HEI was an option in 72 or 73. Marine was still using Mallory points distributors til at least 75.
But don't quote me on this. :)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-03-2006, 01:07 PM
does your boat look like this??
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Anderson_New_Motor.jpg

SmokinLowriderSS
04-03-2006, 01:35 PM
GM (automotive) used point distributors til 71, and started the changeover to HEI in 72. I believe HEI was an option in 72 or 73. Marine was still using Mallory points distributors til at least 75.
But don't quote me on this. :)
I think you're pretty right on this, although, I had a '74 Camaro (Z-28) that still had a single points setup. My '78 boat is still running the Prestolite single points setup she was delivered with (not the same points set tho, :p ).
There will always be aberations.
I'd just get a custom set & crimp your own. Guaranteed to fit just like you want them too as opposed to half being an inch short & the other half 3" too long.

Glencoe MiniDay
04-03-2006, 02:09 PM
I am with the lowrider on this one especially if your engine compartment is open.
You wouldnot want some straggler wire blowing in the breeze.
Laying over looking stupid or even cooked on a header leaving you with a dead cylinder, Only to be spotted by some onlooker.

h2oboy
04-03-2006, 08:55 PM
does your boat look like this??
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Anderson_New_Motor.jpg
Yep that is what she looks like except with a different paint scheme... if I could figure out how to get my pics up I would...
Hey thanks for all your help today... It was good to put a name with a face... Your boy Jeremy hooked it up... Already got them on... Can not wait to see you hall ass right by me... I think we could have some fun this summer..... Beer and sand beaches.. I am in.... Thanks again!!!

n8dawg
04-04-2006, 07:58 AM
I guess I'm too late. I have a brand new set of MSD 8mm wires just sitting in the garage collecting dust. I would of been happy to give them away to a fellow Oldsmobile guy. Oh well next time!
Nate

Keyser
04-04-2006, 08:10 AM
I guess I'm too late. I have a brand new set of MSD 8mm wires just sitting in the garage collecting dust. I would of been happy to give them away to a fellow Oldsmobile guy. Oh well next time!
Nate
Hey, what am I, chopped liver!! :rollside:
By the way, fired the boat off this weekend and an annoying rattle came up. Have to pull the motor!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

h2oboy
04-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Nate
Thanks anyways.... Hope these taylors hold up...

maxwedge
04-04-2006, 08:33 AM
My 76 has Points still. Boat was built in March so I guess the engine may be a 75 they still had around for all I know.
Also, I was wondering if anybody might have a set of 8mm MSD wires laying around that they just want to give to a fellow olds guy. :D

n8dawg
04-04-2006, 08:51 AM
Hey, what am I, chopped liver!! :rollside:
By the way, fired the boat off this weekend and an annoying rattle came up. Have to pull the motor!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ahh man what a drag! Are you sure it was the motor, not the driveline? What kind of rattle? That bums me out :(! Well least it's raining and your not missing any good weather or anything. Looks like its going to rain for a couple of weeks anyways. Let me know if there's anything I can do? I do have some Olds parts laying around like a set of "K" heads.
Let me know.

n8dawg
04-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Also, I was wondering if anybody might have a set of 8mm MSD wires laying around that they just want to give to a fellow olds guy. :D
Sorry... wires are already spoken for by PM, that was fast!

Keyser
04-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Ahh man what a drag! Are you sure it was the motor, not the driveline? What kind of rattle? That bums me out :(! Well least it's raining and your not missing any good weather or anything. Looks like its going to rain for a couple of weeks anyways. Let me know if there's anything I can do? I do have some Olds parts laying around like a set of "K" heads.
Let me know.
Driveline's disconnected. I'm thinking main bearing. Right before the rattle i had a 15lbs drop in oil pressure. I shut it down right away so I'm hoping there's no damage to the crank, but I'll find out later this week when I get it pulled.

maxwedge
04-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Driveline's disconnected. I'm thinking main bearing. Right before the rattle i had a 15lbs drop in oil pressure. I shut it down right away so I'm hoping there's no damage to the crank, but I'll find out later this week when I get it pulled.
A bearing failure on an Olds? That's unheard of, LOL. :p
Seriously, that sucks. Hope it's not major damage.

maxwedge
04-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Sorry... wires are already spoken for by PM, that was fast!
Damn! I'm always too late on the freebies. Maybe I should just ask before somebody offers...
So I'm wondering...does anybody have a nice set of Edelbrock heads laying around or maybe a nice Elimminator Daytona, that they just want to give to a fellow Olds guy? :D

IMPATIENT 1
04-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Buy Some Universal Fits Accels Or Taylor Wires.you Can Buy The Color You Want, And Put On The Dist. Terminals You Need For Your Application.both Brands Cost In The 30-45 Range For A Good Set Of Wires.anything You Buy For A Car Will Have Some To Long Or Too Short To Route Pretty!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Yep that is what she looks like except with a different paint scheme... if I could figure out how to get my pics up I would...
Hey thanks for all your help today... It was good to put a name with a face... Your boy Jeremy hooked it up... Already got them on... Can not wait to see you hall ass right by me... I think we could have some fun this summer..... Beer and sand beaches.. I am in.... Thanks again!!!
Anytime bro;) You know where to find me if you need anything;) Please dont hesitate to call me!!! We will be boating very soon;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Buy Some Universal Fits Accels Or Taylor Wires.you Can Buy The Color You Want, And Put On The Dist. Terminals You Need For Your Application.both Brands Cost In The 30-45 Range For A Good Set Of Wires.anything You Buy For A Car Will Have Some To Long Or Too Short To Route Pretty!
I wouldnt do that!!! I use to sell them at my old job and found out that they are JUNK! I checked the resistance on them and they have more then the house brand at autozone. Bosch even has less resistance then accell. MSD or taylors are the only way to go;) Spend the $$ and forget about it. Oh and not to mention that taylor offers all kinds of colors;)

h2oboy
04-05-2006, 09:04 AM
I wouldnt do that!!! I use to sell them at my old job and found out that they are JUNK! I checked the resistance on them and they have more then the house brand at autozone. Bosch even has less resistance then accell. MSD or taylors are the only way to go;) Spend the $$ and forget about it. Oh and not to mention that taylor offers all kinds of colors;)
I will agree with 396... I tried the Accells and the damn end pulled right out... Got hooked up with some taylors and they are damn nice wires.... For only 20 bucks more and the crimping tool... you can not beat it....
396 get that ride done.... Thanks again... let me know if I can help you out with anything!!!

LynnsJet
04-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Remember when Packard wires were the best you could buy. That was many moons ago.
L J

HotDogz
04-05-2006, 08:54 PM
MSD... :220v: