PDA

View Full Version : Bravo cooling system

jwbbuck
05-20-2004, 05:17 AM
I fired the boat yesterday. I had the drive in an old keg tub filled with water. I didn't get any water out of the exhaust. I primed the system from the thermostat housing and still didn't get any water moving through the system.
I've got a Bravo drive and a belt driven water pump and a circulation pump.
How long should it take to get an empty system primed while running the engine? Which pump pulls the water from the lake? Which should I plan on rebuilding?

1BIGJIM
05-20-2004, 06:40 AM
It should not take very long at all (Less than a minute) . The sea water pump picks up the water. Its then routed to an oil cooler then to the engine and exhaust. Very simple in design. Sounds like you better check the sea water pump. Rebuild kit is only $80. If you find the rubber impleller is wasted, do not forget to back flush the system to get all the parts out. Very import step some people forget.
Go spend the money and buy the proper water attachment($20) and ditch the tub:D

jwbbuck
05-21-2004, 03:34 AM
If I would put the boat in the lake, or use a very large tub (haha), would the system prime itself - at least from the pickup in the drive to the seawater pump? Is the seawater pump able to draw water all the way from the pickup or does it need to be below the water line so it is primed?

1BIGJIM
05-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Yes the system will prime it's self. The problem with the tub, you could be sucking air. If you are wondering if the pump is working pull the output hose off. Water should be flying out, enough to water the lawn.:D

lovemyultra
05-29-2004, 09:51 AM
you need to replace the impeller not a huge job do it yourself it is a little tough to get to it is not a big deal I think I paid 70 bucks for an impeller and housing dont forget to gget all the crap out of the oil cooler and rest of the system if the old pump came aprt inside ,by the way mine starts watering out of the exhaust within 30 seconds good luck DJ
Also I think the tub method is better if ALL of the pick up holes are completely submerged and the suply water keeps up with what the boat is pumping ,The reason I say this is you could not saying you will collapse the water hose if you rev the engine a little bit I use both methods and the attachment is much more conveniant for a quick start up

Dr. Eagle
05-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Almost positive your impeller is gone. Make sure that you disconnect the hoses from the Oil Cooler and pump water through it to blow out any debris from the old impeller. That Merc pump is the biggest POS.... I hated mine...