PDA

View Full Version : pro charger whi hp so low?

dallas
05-25-2003, 02:07 PM
i have a 500 hp efi i was told by the tech line at procharger on a m-1 with 5 lbs to expect 690 to 740 in hp depends on gas weather ect the problem is im at 6.5 lbs of boost and top at 650 hp. on top of this i had to buy bigger injectors =870.00 that was never mentioned, any where from pro charger. and i have 1 cylinder that is over heating. i spoke to the guy who is re mapping thr ecm and doing thr dyno work he basically says prochrger lies about the hp they put out what so you think?

James'SS-24
05-25-2003, 02:24 PM
Shoulda bought a Whipple! :cool:

dallas
05-25-2003, 03:15 PM
thanks that made me feel alot better! i wish i wouldnt of done any thing!

James'SS-24
05-26-2003, 04:13 AM
Dallas, Can you get a refund? That's the reason I went with Whipple...too many horror stories about Procharger and efi engines. The whipple system has performed way beyond expectations and promises! :cool:

MAXIMUS
05-26-2003, 06:40 AM
Dallas I feel for ya bro... MY buddy has a 540 with a pro charger & so far it runs better with it disconnected & more timing! I believe if you want a huffer then just get a real one! I know this is the last thing you want to hear but I wouldn't take one for free! frown
[ May 26, 2003, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: MAXIMUS ]

purple profile
05-26-2003, 03:07 PM
Get a pontoon boat its something that you may be able to handle.

502procharger
05-26-2003, 03:50 PM
I have to wonder why it works so well on both my 502 and my 540. Is it because it is a carb version? I have no experience with efi procharger setups, but have been very happy with the performance of both of my BBC with the carbed procharger setup. I will post cyno numbers on my new motor soon.

James'SS-24
05-26-2003, 05:24 PM
Hey 502, when I was doing my research on these things I found out efi setups need to have someone that really knows what's going on with the ecu to be able to make the thing run right. As I understand it, carb setups do OK with the procharger because they are easier to setup. :D
Hey Dallas, maybe it would be cheaper to change it over to a carb setup.
[ May 26, 2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: James'SS-24 ]

PlayTime
05-28-2003, 06:54 PM
The Rods also have a procharger. They have a 454. Beside a shaky start after the install everything seems to be running fine for them and they seem very happy with it. However I dont know of anyone running that on an EFI so dont have much info there for you to compare it too.

26 QUEST
05-30-2003, 01:19 PM
pig_flyi

22Daytona
06-01-2003, 06:36 PM
You may want to contact Jim at Arizona Speed and Marine. Your #1 cylinder temp problem may be a fuel rail issue. They (AZ Speed) are now recommending that you run dual lines to the fuel rail in order to supply enough fuel to all cylinders. They can explain how to accomplish this as well as provide some feedback on your horsepower issue.
Hope this helps.
By the way, Jim is extremely hard to get a hold of but if you reach him it will be well worth the effort.

Well Done
06-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Had a problem with my Procharger Installation also. Was 496 with 850 Barry Grant. First time out, Melted 1 piston. 2nd time out, bent pushrods. 3rd time out, blown headgaskets. 4th time out.......was removed from boat. Infomaniac installed a whipple. Runs like a MOFO!!! Should a went there first. Makes my hind sight look good!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/213211Rear_View_In_boat-med.jpg

Nordicflame
06-12-2003, 11:14 AM
I do run a M3 ProCharger on a 540 and yes I do think the Whipple is an all around better setup for STOCK EFI motors.
However, if your not seeing any gain and are truly seeing 6 lbs of boost your issues are elsewhere and not the blower itself.
In simple terms boost is boost. If your seeing 6 lbs at WOT and no gain, you have other issues.
Regardless of the blower and else being equal, a Whipple, ProCharger, Vortech, etc... boosting 6 lbs will gain you an approximate 40% hp increase. The Whipple will produce much more in the lower ranges if that is what you like.
The Livorsi web sight has a true indicator of this with thier 500EFI setup. Notice theirs has a ECM remap also. I personally use a FAST ECM with a wide band O2 sensor and don't have to depend on any bandaid fixes that ProCharger pushes.
I run a meager 5 lbs of boost and gained a true 13-14 mph on my 28 single.
Keep at it and be careful when tweaking around with the MAP. Even the best of the best mess up in this arena. That's why I chose my route. I could only blame myself should something happen.
Another thought is that the M1 is borderline for that application and could generate substantial heat. I'm not sure??
Last thought is make very sure you have very good fuel delivery all the way from the tank.
I run 9.2:1 CR with 5-6 lbs of boost, 30 degrees timing (at full load, 36 at cruise), 43 lbs of fuel preesure, 72 lb injectors, 13.5:1 AF at idle to 11.5 at WOT and my EGTs never go over 1350'
Good Luck,
Dave