PDA

View Full Version : Crankshafts

Drew
01-27-2002, 06:26 AM
Building in my book a mild 496 tall deck blower motor. Looking for a reasonably priced 4.25” stroke internally balanced crank. What are the experienced opinions on Scat or Eagle brand cranks to hold up under 700 to 800 HP. I will be on the low end of this but would like it to be dependable without paying more than I have to for that dependability. I know some will say run don’t walk and go buy a Cola, Callies or (?) but if I can save 5 to 7 hundred why not. There is a lot of good experience along with opinions on the board and I am really looking for any experiences with Scat or Eagle cranks, good or bad. Thanks

Craig
01-27-2002, 07:54 AM
The shop I use sells the Scat stuff and has good luck with it up to about 1000 horsepower. Then he likes the Lunati, Calles brands.
Craig

Drew
01-27-2002, 08:55 AM
Craig do you knnow if these are the 4130 Scat or 4340. My local speed shop has said I could use a 4130 Scat if I wanted to save some money but I would hate to sell myself short and have problems. Also do you know if they reindex and rebalanced them.

miller killer
01-29-2002, 12:19 AM
Drew,eagle makes a good crank,i had one in my 496,but i would go with the new callies dragonslayer crank,thats what i just bought,$795 from schafiroff racing.

Craig
01-29-2002, 04:04 AM
I'm not sure Drew. If you want check with Larry Peto at Larrys Speed & Marine. He's a wealth of info. 520-623-5373
Craig

HUFFPOWER
01-29-2002, 01:00 PM
drew,talk to any good motor builder,pfaff,teague,brummett,chief,sterling,i think you will find that they will tell you the heart of a good motor starts with a good crank/rod and valve train setup,i've never run a scat but was told by those in the know,there made overseas,i've had a chevy crank in the boat for 6 1/2 yrs,454 blk,chevy rods,250 blower at 6lbs boost.

schiada96
01-29-2002, 01:18 PM
Eagle so far no problems. Twin turbo lots of boost. The things I think makes these better are large fillet radious shot peening and magnuflux. I checked stroke all were very close all journals were within .0002. All in all a good crank for the money. my .02

BOOSTDADDY
01-29-2002, 02:48 PM
LOOK AT WHAT ELSE YOU HAVE TO DO TO THE CRANK! HOW NICE ARE THE COUNTER WEIGHTS? SOMETHING THAT HAS RUFF COUNTERWEIGHTS WILL REQUIRE MORE HEAVY METAL TO BALANCE. HEAVY METAL CAN BE VERY EXPENSIVE!IT COSTS AROUND $60.00 PER SLUG, I HAVE SEEN AS MANY AS 11PCS. IN A CHEAP CRANK THAT TURNED OUT NOT TO BE CHEAP! DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOR AND SPEND A LITTLE BIT MORE MONEY.YOU DON'T NEED A BILLET CRANK, THERE ARE PLENTY OF GOOD FORGINGS AVAILABLE FROM MANY MANUFACTURES. THE LARGER RADIUSES ON THE JOURNALS MAKE FOR A STRONGER DEAL, YOU JUST HAVE TO TRIM THE BEARINGS TO FIT!
GOOD LUCK!

Infomaniac
01-29-2002, 05:18 PM
I used a Scat 4130 crank once. It was hard as a rock. Had the snout double keyed for a blower hub. The machine shop commented on how tuff it was. Had enough meat to balance internally. Would have had to make swiss cheese out of it to balance it externally.