PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Lake, Nevada???

BarryMac
05-20-2004, 10:02 AM
I posted this in 'Hot Spots West' but I figured I would post here as well, thanks for taking the time to view.
I am taking a shot in the dark here, I thought I saw some postings a while back (over a year ago) about Pyramid Lake in Northern Nevada near Reno, I want to get some info on this lake, we are going to be in Reno for the 4th of July visiting my parents, they are going to put their 5th wheel on the lake for us, we are intending on spending at least a couple of days there. We are also going to Lake Tahoe for a day, how do you think my boat will do at an elevation of over 6200', will I need to do anything special? Any info you want to share would be great and appreciated.
Thanks hope to get some info,
gottajetboat
2001 Carrera 202XR with a 454

HalletDave
05-20-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by gottajetboat
I posted this in 'Hot Spots West' but I figured I would post here as well, thanks for taking the time to view.
I am taking a shot in the dark here, I thought I saw some postings a while back (over a year ago) about Pyramid Lake in Northern Nevada near Reno, I want to get some info on this lake, we are going to be in Reno for the 4th of July visiting my parents, they are going to put their 5th wheel on the lake for us, we are intending on spending at least a couple of days there. We are also going to Lake Tahoe for a day, how do you think my boat will do at an elevation of over 6200', will I need to do anything special? Any info you want to share would be great and appreciated.
Thanks hope to get some info,
gottajetboat
2001 Carrera 202XR with a 454
At that altitude your boat will not run that good. Not as much oxygen as there is at sea level. I say don't even try to re-jet the carb, just enjoy your time on the water. I have never boated on Pyramid but have spent quite a few hours on Tahoe. It is worth the time to head over to Emerald Bay and just anchor and enjoy the scenery. The middle of Lake Tahoe can get rather choppy in the early to late afternoon so be careful.
Take a set of binoculars and a camera just in case you see some eagles or other birds of prey flying overhead.
Enjoy Tahoe

H2O FEVER
05-20-2004, 10:24 AM
Pyramid Lake is at about 3500 ft and a decent size lake. It is around the same size as Lake Tahoe. There is no way to compare the two. Pyramid is in the desert and there are no trees...but still a neat lake to visit. It does contain a small amount of salt. You probably won't need to do anything to your boat. On the other hand,Lake Tahoe is absolutely beautiful but like you mentioned it is at 6200 ft. My boat runs 71 m.p.h. at sea level with 28's and at Lake Tahoe I run 26's (bravo 3) at about 57 m.p.h. Have fun..if you need any other info...e-mail me. That is a very busy weekend at Tahoe...be prepared to be frustrated trying to find a place to launch your boat.

BarryMac
05-20-2004, 10:37 AM
H2O Fever,
Do you live in the Lake Tahoe basin? I was Born in Truckee and Raised in Incline Village we moved away when I was 15, I am hoping to be able to get a day pass to Ski Beach in Incline, we still have freinds that live there that would have access to the passes.
I must tell you that I am very anxious to boat on Lake Tahoe, it has been a childhood dream of mine to have my own boat on the Lake that I grew up on and love so much too this day, it drives my wife and kids crazy each time I make the trip to Reno I drag them up to the Lake.
gottajetboat

unleashed
05-20-2004, 10:38 AM
I've been fishing at Pyramid several different times. The lake is supposebly a little bigger than Tahoe(You will be suprised how big). There are no trees its only desert. Not to many people although I think 4th of july there should be some partying going on there. Indians control alot of the land there so there might be some different rules I dont remember. As mentioned above there is some salinity in the lake but not that bad. Fishing however is excellent so if you bring your poles your bound to catch something. It was believed years ago that the 2 lakes(Tahoe and Pyramid connected below ground somewhere but not proven).
Tahoe on the other hand is absolutely beautiful. I may be up there the week before for a poker run. Last time I went on the 4th it was a madhouse tons of people and alot of traffic. The lake however is big enough that you dont have to worry about the number of boats. The hard part is driving those narrow roads with alot of traffic. Your boat will run about 10 miles slower at altitude but still alot of fun. A good launch ramp is in the keys. The best place to watch the fireworks would be from your boat out in the water. Also Hiking, sightseeing, fishing, gambling, nightlife are all good in this area. Have fun.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

unleashed
05-20-2004, 10:41 AM
Photo from Tahoe 4th of July 2 years ago. The water was chilly but didnt stop my brother and sister in law!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/509/249tahoejuly-med.JPG
Deano

BarryMac
05-20-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by unleashed
I've been fishing at Pyramid several different times. The lake is supposebly a little bigger than Tahoe(You will be suprised how big). There are no trees its only desert. Not to many people although I think 4th of july there should be some partying going on there. Indians control alot of the land there so there might be some different rules I dont remember. As mentioned above there is some salinity in the lake but not that bad. Fishing however is excellent so if you bring your poles your bound to catch something. It was believed years ago that the 2 lakes(Tahoe and Pyramid connected below ground somewhere but not proven).
Thanks unleashed, since my boat is a jet am I going to have any problems down the road since you can't really rinse them very well???

Dr. Eagle
05-20-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks unleashed, since my boat is a jet am I going to have any problems down the road since you can't really rinse them very well???
I put a site on a bluff overlooking Pyramid some 10 years ago and took a helocopter flight over the lake. It is very large, not used a whole bunch by the locals. As I understand it, the lake in it's entirety is on the Indian reservation. It is pretty blue clear water and it is very deep. There is an island on the east side that is considered sacred by the Indians.
I have always wanted to take the boat up there to go on it. It does get windy in the afternoons like Tahoe I have been told.
As far as the boat, you should be just fine, it will just run rich and you will notice a significant difference in performance, you will lose as much as 15Mph off the top end. This is just about the same as Tahoe...

spectratoad
05-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Well it is a lake that has lots of sand, is bigger than Tahoe and just as bad when the winds kicks up. We go there often during the weekends when nothing else is happening.
The lake itself is at about 5000ft. It is pretty nice. Not too many jetskis since the indians charge them 20/day to use on lake. 4 strokes are getting more popular so that may change.
We are usually at either Warrior Point or Pellican. The Sheriff's Dept. patrols there but as long as you are not getting stupid they don't bother. It is a large enough lake to go fast and not get in anyones way.
You can also plan some trip across the lake and see some of the sights like the Pyramid, the Hot steam coming up through the water at the North end.
The water is semi-salty (alkali) but just give your boat a good flushing at the end of the trip.
We will probably be out there also. I am not sure but if so we can save you a spot. You camp on the beach and launch at either the ramp or off the beach next to your camp (4x4 Only and even those sink sometimes)
Hope that helps.
PYRAMID LAKE FACT SHEET
Pyramid Lake: 27 miles long, 4 to 11 miles wide
Surface Elevation: 3,808 feet above mean sea level (last updated on March 30, 2004)
Surface Area: 114,000 acres, or 178 square miles
Maximum Depth of the Lake: 346 feet
Volume of Pyramid Lake: 22.62 million acre-feet
Perimeter of the Lake: 69 miles
pH: 9.2
Salinity: 4.3 parts per thousand (about 1/6 as salty as the ocean)
Total Dissolved Solids: approximately 5,000 mg/L
Average August Air Temperature: 86 degrees
Average Summer Water Temperature: 75 degrees
Average January Air Temperature: 45 degrees
Average Winter Water Temperature: 43 degrees
Average Annual Precipitation: 7 inches
Lake Turnover: typically occurs between December and February
Blue-Green Algae (Nodularia spumigena) Bloom: typically occurs between August and September
Size of Reservation: 475,000 acres
Tribal Population: 2,327 enrolled members
Reservation Capitol: Nixon, Nevada
Declaration of Reservation: March 23, 1874

bilgewiper
05-20-2004, 11:42 AM
I make the trip up there the day after Thanksgiving dinner every year. Fish for 2 days. Great fishing. The landscape is so bleak that it is real kinda entertaining for a change. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/8242003_009-med.jpg

spectratoad
05-20-2004, 11:45 AM
The lake is definitely BYOS (bring your own shade):D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/307Pyramid-med.jpg

BarryMac
05-20-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by spectratoad
Well it is a lake that has lots of sand, is bigger than Tahoe and just as bad when the winds kicks up. We go there often during the weekends when nothing else is happening.
The water is semi-salty (alkali) but just give your boat a good flushing at the end of the trip.
We will probably be out there also. I am not sure but if so we can save you a spot. You camp on the beach and launch at either the ramp or off the beach next to your camp (4x4 Only and even those sink sometimes)
Hope that helps.
thanks spectratoad, can we make reservations to camp or is it on a first come first serve basis? I don't have a 4x4 are the launch ramps decent and how far are they from camping?
Thanks for the info.
gottajetboat

spectratoad
05-20-2004, 12:12 PM
At Warrior Point the ramp are close by and they are pretty decent.
The beach is first come, first serve. Let me know what day and we are close enough that we can go out and stay and save some beach if it helps. I do believe we will be in town that weekend and most likely headed out there that Thursday.

BarryMac
05-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by spectratoad
At Warrior Point the ramp are close by and they are pretty decent.
The beach is first come, first serve. Let me know what day and we are close enough that we can go out and stay and save some beach if it helps. I do believe we will be in town that weekend and most likely headed out there that Thursday.
Which part of Reno do you live in? My parents live in the area of Mt. Rose and Arlington

spectratoad
05-20-2004, 12:26 PM
I live just north of Reno in Golden Valley.

Chase
05-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by unleashed
Photo from Tahoe 4th of July 2 years ago. The water was chilly but didnt stop my brother and sister in law!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/509/249tahoejuly-med.JPG
Deano
Beautiful picture..:) :D

H2O FEVER
05-20-2004, 01:50 PM
H2O Fever,
Do you live in the Lake Tahoe basin? I was Born in Truckee and Raised in Incline Village we moved away when I was 15, I am hoping to be able to get a day pass to Ski Beach in Incline, we still have freinds that live there that would have access to the passes.
I must tell you that I am very anxious to boat on Lake Tahoe, it has been a childhood dream of mine to have my own boat on the Lake that I grew up on and love so much too this day, it drives my wife and kids crazy each time I make the trip to Reno I drag them up to the Lake.
gottajetboat
Yes, I have lived here my whole life. We are planning on being on Tahoe all weekend (4th of July). Grew up in Tahoe Vista...I live in Truckee now....knew quite a few guys from Incline...played Baseball with them. Let me know if you want to hook up. I think there are 2-3 boats and freinds of mine that are going to be out all weekend. We might even stay on the lake the night of the 4th. It seems every 4th of July is rough....depending on how your boat does in 2-3 foot chop...you might need to get back to the ramp quick. Tahoe is easy to tell....the minute you see the lake starting to turn dark blue...you better be ready to get back at any minute. The original owner of Carrera Boats lives in The Keys over on South Lake. I used to have a 27 ft. Carrera.

gnarley
05-20-2004, 02:17 PM
gottajetboat,
If you go to Pyramid, be careful. I lived in Reno & Sparks during most of the 80's and went to Pyramid many times and heard lots of stories about it for long time locals and some Indian friends I had. On my first visit there I saw a guy almost drown, that got my respect real fast! sometimes the wind comes up so fast it can catch you out on the lake and you don't want to come back across the waves get so big and it has these fish in it that are found no where else but in South America. The lake also turns over every year and gets real muddy and dirty. This all sounds weird but you'd have to live up there and get to know the lake and locals to really understand.

spectratoad
05-21-2004, 06:56 AM
Oh yeah there are lots of stories about Pyramid. It is pretty nasty when it turns over, usually in August. I was there last year when the algae bloomed. Thought I was going through mud.
It is a nice lake though just no trees, winds get bad at times. There is almost always wind at 3 in the afternoon. You can set your clock by it. It last and hour or so then it is nice again.
I do Search & Rescue and have been out there at times when it is not fun. That wind will take you across the lake in no time.