PDA

View Full Version : Diverter & Newbie advice needed

Rollie66
05-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Newbie here,
I just rescued a Spectra 18 with a BBF 460 from a family member. It is in reasonable shape. the body and gel coat look really good. I just rebuilt the Holly 750 double pumper and installed a new starter. The engine seems strong for the 15 seconds I run it. I have 3 questions.
1. It has a Berk 12jc pump. the pump has a diverter on it. the diverter reads domminator jet on the end. It seems to have only a small amount of movemment. The family member who ran the boat insists the unit is only a trim adjuster. I think it needs some tlc. It has an 7 position lever to the right of the driver. Anyone know about this unit. Is it out of adjustment? should I replace with a place diverter?
2. How do I disconnect the pump drive from the engine. Is this simple or a major amount of work.
3. It has an old single point dist. Is the pertronix II a good upgrade for the $.
Thank You for any help

BrendellaJet
05-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Congrats on the purchase!
I think AT makes a diverter.
Sounds like you need an adjustment to the cable or a new one?
Depending on the spacing, you can unbolt the universal joing connecting the motor and pump. Its not hard, but can be a little time consuming, a jet away is a nice fix for being able to disconnect(or atleast allow the motor to run without turning the jet, but its pricey)
In my experience the pertronix ignitors work very well.

GM Killer
05-20-2004, 12:06 PM
My advice....Jetboatguru is the "man" to ask. He will not steer ya wrong or give ya some BS

napabob
05-20-2004, 01:08 PM
You can also post your Spectra questions at:
http://www.spectramarine.com/

FoMoCo
05-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Does the movement for the trim happen inside the nozzle? If so I think that its the Original Dominator trim. Its kind of like a Place diverter but the whole nozzle does not move just a piece inside the nozzle. They work OK, I had a buddy that ran one on an Daytona.

Rollie66
05-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Only the peice inside the nozzle moves. Is this the equivalent to a place diverter? If not is it worth it to upgrade? will this setup throw a rooster tail if adjusted properly?

FoMoCo
05-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Yup thats a DOminator trim device, and yes it will still throw a roost. I think the Place divterter does work a little better but for a stock boat I would just leave it alone and run it!!!