PDA

View Full Version : Running on trailer

Taylorman
05-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Since i have an e pump and can't disconnect my pump from engine to run the boat on the trailer and don't have a jetaway, is it ok to pull the impeller out and run it with the bowl on but no impeller. Im soon to get a new wear ring and impeller and i don't want to mess anything up by running it on the trailer. I only run it out ot the water if its necessary which i will soon need to do since im buying new heads.

Tom Foolery
05-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Why can't you disconnect the pump? Isn't there a power take off flange bolted to the flywheel/flexplate with a u-joint attached powering the pump?

Blown 472
05-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Taylorman
Since i have an e pump and can't disconnect my pump from engine to run the boat on the trailer and don't have a jetaway, is it ok to pull the impeller out and run it with the bowl on but no impeller. Im soon to get a new wear ring and impeller and i don't want to mess anything up by running it on the trailer. I only run it out ot the water if its necessary which i will soon need to do since im buying new heads.
Sure if you want to burn up the packing gland seals. Cant you just back it in some where?

Taylorman
05-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Tom Foolery
Why can't you disconnect the pump? Isn't there a power take off flange bolted to the flywheel/flexplate with a u-joint attached powering the pump?
Because i have 3 point motor mounts and you can't get the the bolts with the bellhousing on.
Originally posted by Blown 472
Sure if you want to burn up the packing gland seals. Cant you just back it in some where?
Will this hurt performance any? Ive run my boat on the trailer many times and ive never had a problem with packing leaks. I just don't want to f up my new pretty orange wear ring.

1Bahnerjet
05-20-2004, 01:38 PM
I've got a little "Y" deal on a Garden Hose :idea: one to Engine, one to Jet Drives Intake, and a Valve to control the flow of Water. If this isn't a good deal please let me know. :)

hboldno7
05-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
Since you seem to be the "Pro" in here, How do you run yours on the trailer?

Ken F
05-20-2004, 02:57 PM
Taylorman, just don't do it. Especaially with the ultimate wear ring. If you just absoultly HAVE to test it to see if it starts,
spray it down reallly good with WD-40 from the nozzle side. Then I wouldn't run it more than about 30 seconds. It's best not to at all.
Yes it will hurt performance. There is a good chance of gaulding the wear ring, or melting it. They fit differently than a brass or bronze ring, and are made of a completly different material. The friction and resulting heat of the impeller turning against it without water lubrication will ruin it. This even applys to the metal rings, but more so to the ultimate wear ring because of the material it is made from. It also gives a much better seal against the impeller, and much harder hole shot for the same reason, but you need to be aware of what you have.
Ken F

MudPumper
05-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by 1Bahnerjet
I've got a little "Y" deal on a Garden Hose :idea: one to Engine, one to Jet Drives Intake, and a Valve to control the flow of Water. If this isn't a good deal please let me know. :)
Even with the garden hose you are not going to get all the water into the pump that you need to safely run on the trailer. Unless the pump is disconnected from the engine, don't run it on the trailer. You are only doing damage. If you Have to run it on the trailer, don't rev the engine.

sidewound
05-20-2004, 06:18 PM
After the time and CHAAAAANGE I spent rebuilding mine with the ultimate ring no way in hell would I wanna screw myself by runnin it dry.
OLD told me this and I've repeated it many times.
The pump is a HARMONICALLY BALANCED machine. It needs the water running through it to balance itself. Without, it is unbalanced and probably not centered. DO THE MATH!
I LOVE the holeshot with mine. If you got the plastic ring do yourself a favor, spend the extra time to back it in somewhere.
What do you think of the ultimate? Did you do it yourself or have it done? I think if you had it done and run it outta da wata it could void any warranty.
Just my opinion. Yea, I got an A-hole too!
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

Blown 472
05-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by hboldno7
Since you seem to be the "Pro" in here, How do you run yours on the trailer?
Pro?? not hardly. I dont run mine dry on the trailer if I am going to run it "on the trailer" it is backed into the water.
The packing gland uses water to lubricate it so it does not burn up, did it once. Never agian.