PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers

Sleek-Jet
05-20-2004, 02:01 PM
OK, I'll put this in it's own thread.
On the subject of mufflers. I was thinking about putting drag race mufflers on my boat (the ones that weld onto the primaries and take the place of the collector, I think dynomax and a few other companies make em), but don't know how they would end up working. The exhaust companies claim an 8 to 10 dB drop in noise with no loss of power.
Anyone tried it?

dmontzsta
05-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
OK, I'll put this in it's own thread.
On the subject of mufflers. I was thinking about putting drag race mufflers on my boat (the ones that weld onto the primaries and take the place of the collector, I think dynomax and a few other companies make em), but don't know how they would end up working. The exhaust companies claim an 8 to 10 dB drop in noise with no loss of power.
Anyone tried it?
I have some knock off ones they were cheap, I got them from Canyon Marine, they did quiet the boat down enough to not be so harsh, but it still sounds good and didnt rob any power. They are similar to the bassetts. I think they were $100 or so.

cal***boat
05-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Yes it has been tried, a friend of mine has the Borla race mufflers added to his headers instead of the collectors and the problem is the weight of the mufflers.
The header tubes tend to crack at the flanges down at the head and you need to run header braces from bassett.

Sleek-Jet
05-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by cal***boat
Yes it has been tried, a friend of mine has the Borla race mufflers added to his headers instead of the collectors and the problem is the weight of the mufflers.
The header tubes tend to crack at the flanges down at the head and you need to run header braces from bassett.
That was my concern also. The other option would be to run the full on upswept dragster headers w/mufflers, but again, I don't know if they would hold up to the abuse on the lake. And I'd have to fab the entire header since I doubt ones are made for the FE engines.
dmontzsta, I'll be running an FE similiar to yours, you had any problems with the noise police since you've installed the silencers??

dmontzsta
05-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
dmontzsta, I'll be running an FE similiar to yours, you had any problems with the noise police since you've installed the silencers??
At first (with no mufflers) they kicked me off the lake. Now they ask, then look and see them and I have no problems. As I said, I think the exhaust tone is "cleaner" sounding and the fact that I can go to Lake Perris or Elsinore and not get hassled is a good thing. If I want I can take the mufflers out for the river or a place that is not strict, but I see no point as they do not rob any power. I actually dont see how they quiet it down as much as they do. They are straight through with a little bit of sound deadening, but the exhaust can still flow a good 3.5".
BTW: I have a spare set of FE headers if you are interested. :wink:

superdave013
05-20-2004, 05:32 PM
the roundy round guys have to run mufflers at the race in Long Beach. They look like big ugly flow master 4" deals to me.
What you are talking about will look much better.
But those guys set ups seem to work as they are very quite. They do run braces and the ones that don't have bent pipes by the end of the day.