PDA

View Full Version : NASCARS new "Diversity" Program

JustMVG
05-20-2004, 11:00 PM
Any thoughts on this deal?
They want to bring in a bigger fan base by going out and introducing the sport to urban and inner city folks, i can just see the infields now, wanna be Gang Bangers, the music, the BS just like we are starting to see at the lakes, hope this doesn't kill NASCAR in the long run, but maybe it will help the Open Wheel guys get back the much needed fan base that was lost due to infighting amongst the two open wheel series'
Just wondering out loud.
MVG

OLDRAT
05-21-2004, 05:08 AM
Yep, can see it now. All those dazzling urbanites strolling around with their baggy-ass pants down and their drawers show'in. Yo!

OGShocker
05-21-2004, 05:10 AM
Nice to know Turn one in Fontana is so well armed!;)

HighRoller
05-21-2004, 05:14 AM
Every NASCAR race will resemble one of those import ass clown car shows. White guys trying to be black, people with slow cars that think they're fast and skanks in bikinis who think they're hot but aren't. Goes along perfectly with NASCAR, which advertises you'll see "racing", when you won't. NASCAR is so hell-bent on getting a dollar from every person in the country that theu will alienate their base completely very soon. They've already got an affirmative action program that accelerates the learning and hiring process for "minority" people who want NASCAR jobs....

LASERRAY
05-21-2004, 05:25 AM
Whatever. NASCAR SUCKS!:D
No, I like NASCAR racing. I despise the marketing. The only good thing about NASCAR is the raceing, and that's not always good. I think NASCAR needs to take a step back, and stop alienating it's longtime fans with this new bullchit that they keep shoving down our throats. Hell, Jim Rome is even down with NASCAR these days, and he used to despise it. Nascar has no doubt lost it's small town charm.
I guess I'm a rageing non-comformist.;)
I liked NASCAR before Nascar was cool.:cool:

manuel
05-21-2004, 05:31 AM
I have said this on call-in talk shows and it doesn't help but here goes, if a young driver appeared on the NASCAR scene who looked like he had any chance and happened to be black, the sponsors would be beating down his door to sign contracts, they attack NASCAR because of it's southern roots, but they ignore ice hockey, IRL, cart, NHRA (one exception here, lots of blacks are into bike drags) APBA, if you go to an Atlanta Braves game you see almost ZERO blacks in the stands, same with NASCAR 200,000
fans and 12 blacks, affirmative action will destroy the sport, in europe they have no PC, F-1, Grand Prix could care less what we think, I was there 14 days and I noticed you see no blacks on TV as announcers or hosts or anything else, only when they are the participants in a story do they show them, it was very different from the quota's and bending over to appease every group that gets their feelings hurt we see here,

JustMVG
05-21-2004, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by OGShocker
Nice to know Turn one in Fontana is so well armed!;)
and armed with plenty of BBQ too from what i've been told, Get em with those killer tongs OG!!!!!!:D :D
Turn Three is armed and ready with the Balloon launcher, Fire in the hole!!! :D

LASERRAY
05-21-2004, 05:38 AM
And what do they mean "Introduce" NASCAR to the inner cities? Isn't it on TV. in those areas? All they have to do is turn-on that stolen TV. in their crib and find-it!:D For some reason, I just dont picture Jamal in South Philly wearing some fresh Jeff Gordon, or Tony Stewart gear.:rolleyes:

JustMVG
05-21-2004, 05:39 AM
Some of the kids at my girls school are already wearing the Nascar jackets just because, and have never seen a race let alone attend one

OLDRAT
05-21-2004, 05:49 AM
...and if some other driver gets "up-in" to their favorite, you can bet someone's gonna get a cap busted in their ass.
I can see it now, " entire NASCAR team shot" due to their driver messin' with a homie, film @ 11:00"

haulina29
05-21-2004, 05:50 AM
Highroller hit the nail on the head , Nascar and NHRA both hand out millions because of the lack of minorites involved . Even though drag racing has had many black drivers and team owners the most famous being the Snake they still buckle to this pressure . On a final note Nascar isnt racing its turned into a highly commercialized IROC series restrictors and all Nascar is gay .

LASERRAY
05-21-2004, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by OLDRAT
...and if some other driver gets "up-in" to their favorite, you can bet someone's gonna get a cap busted in their ass.
I can see it now, " entire NASCAR team shot" due to their driver messin' with a homie, film @ 11:00" That's funny! :D
In regards to the comments that there are Black drag racers but none if any circle track or NASCAR racers, I think Richard Petty said it best, and I quote: "Black dudes can't drive".
Question: Why can't Whitey have his own sport?
Whites are the Minority in MLB, NFL, and Moreover the NBA.
( and don't go t the hockey card, that's not an american sport);)

LASERRAY
05-21-2004, 06:10 AM
CONCORD, N.C. (AP) - Basketball Hall of Famer Magic Johnson will serve as co-chairman of a new NASCAR committee on diversity.
Since his retirement, Johnson has been a successful businessman, using his own company to stimulate economic growth and development in urban areas around the country. That includes the 70 Starbucks Coffee locations and five movie theaters he owns.
Part of Johnson's duties will include helping NASCAR in creating a program to identify and develop black, Hispanic and women drivers and crew members. He also will advise NASCAR chief operating officer George Pyne on diversity issues.
"When you think about the NASCAR brand, it resonates everywhere," Johnson said Thursday. "They have the No. 1 sports brand. I have the No. 1 urban brand. So bringing these two brands together, we hope that we can reach out to minorities across this country and introduce a wonderful sport that is already doing very, very, very well."
NASCAR also announced the successful beginning of a minority program that has five drivers and six crewmen competing in its Dodge Weekly Series and Craftsman Truck Series. They were selected after a competition combine held in January.
SOUNDS LIKE BULLCHIT TO ME! :yuk:

Debbolas
05-21-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
CONCORD, N.C. (AP) - Basketball Hall of Famer Magic Johnson will serve as co-chairman of a new NASCAR committee on diversity.
Since his retirement, Johnson has been a successful businessman, using his own company to stimulate economic growth and development in urban areas around the country. That includes the 70 Starbucks Coffee locations and five movie theaters he owns.
Part of Johnson's duties will include helping NASCAR in creating a program to identify and develop black, Hispanic and women drivers and crew members. He also will advise NASCAR chief operating officer George Pyne on diversity issues.
"When you think about the NASCAR brand, it resonates everywhere," Johnson said Thursday. "They have the No. 1 sports brand. I have the No. 1 urban brand. So bringing these two brands together, we hope that we can reach out to minorities across this country and introduce a wonderful sport that is already doing very, very, very well."
NASCAR also announced the successful beginning of a minority program that has five drivers and six crewmen competing in its Dodge Weekly Series and Craftsman Truck Series. They were selected after a competition combine held in January.
SOUNDS LIKE BULLCHIT TO ME! :yuk:
You guys!
It isn't a "race" thing, listen to Magic talk, it is a "marketing" thing...........
;)

cigarette1
05-21-2004, 06:56 AM
Every now and then, this board remaind me of how racist this country really is .... I'm not suprised, but I am dissapointed
:(

spectratoad
05-21-2004, 06:59 AM
Well I guess now Honda, toyota, suzuki etc.... will be sponsors. Lets see if the little imports can play with the big dogs. The curb feelers will let them know when they are getting too close to the walls.:D

Nubbs
05-21-2004, 07:13 AM
I like nascar. I like magic. But this latest plan is stupid. Tickets are available to anyone. If somebody wants to go to a race, they buy a ticket. If they don't want to go, they don't buy a ticket. Simple as that.
I wonder how long it will take before nascar has 22" wheels on the cars and a stereo "sound off" for bonus points.
Nubbs

OGShocker
05-21-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by MandMVG
and armed with plenty of BBQ too from what i've been told, Get em with those killer tongs OG!!!!!!:D :D
Turn Three is armed and ready with the Balloon launcher, Fire in the hole!!! :D
I need to find something else to cook. ;)

coolchange
05-21-2004, 07:24 AM
I wonder how long it will take before nascar has 22" wheels on the cars and a stereo "sound off" for bonus points.
Bwaaahhahahaa!
What happened to; build a car, show up pass tech, qualify, race?
Any NASCAR race over a mile is a joke anymore!

HCS
05-21-2004, 07:27 AM
That's just what people need. You take your kids to the races
for a good time and there's gang bangers stabbin each other
because their driver didn't win.

haulina29
05-21-2004, 07:38 AM
I havent seen any racist staements here just fact .If a minority owned team showed up nobody would care but the media and would play it up as long anybody would listen . Tony Pedragon started spouting off about being hispanic well that was the end of me being a Pedragon fan I always looked at him as a drag racer not white or brown or yellow etc. I was surprised that a man driving the top funny car in the nation needed to tell people he wasnt white. Drag racing has been a place that men of color could hang out and be respected with out racial tension many have spoken aloud on this issue . But its not good enough becuase its not in writing or in stone well screw anybody who thinks racing needs to have so many of every color. Go buy a car and show up . If there not there its there own problem . Magic is true typical sports role model for the minority , aids by adultry what does that say about there movement . typical , give me a fn break

schiada96
05-21-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by haulina29
I havent seen any racist staements here just fact .If a minority owned team showed up nobody would care but the media and would play it up as long anybody would listen . Tony Pedragon started spouting off about being hispanic well that was the end of me being a Pedragon fan I always looked at him as a drag racer not white or brown or yellow etc. I was surprised that a man driving the top funny car in the nation needed to tell people he wasnt white. Drag racing has been a place that men of color could hang out and be respected with out racial tension many have spoken aloud on this issue . But its not good enough becuase its not in writing or in stone well screw anybody who thinks racing needs to have so many of every color. Go buy a car and show up . If there not there its there own problem . Magic is true typical sports role model for the minority , aids by adultry what does that say about there movement . typical , give me a fn break
Right!
Big Willie at Terminal Island Long Beach, cool dude

rrrr
05-21-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by cigarette1
Every now and then, this board remaind me of how racist this country really is .... I'm not suprised, but I am dissapointed
The minorities are the racists. Dallas has the biggest collection of no brain whining losers of various races in the world. School boards, hospital boards, local government..... everyone of 'em has the balls to stand up and say "You can't do this job because you're white.
It's fookin' bullshlt. I have more respect for a fresh turd that those azzholes.

OLDRAT
05-21-2004, 08:06 AM
I agree, Haulin. Years ago when Cruz and Tony's dad Frank raced, nobody cared he was mexican - he was a racer. Just like The Snake, he was Creole (sp?) or part black and he did not ask for any favors because of his ethnic background. He was just one tough S.O.B.! If you wanted to watch racing you came to the races, no matter what color or gender you were.
I worked for several T/F Teams in the 70'S, ran S/S and Comp Eliminator myself, and the drags were a place to go and have fun and race....everyone was family and would give you anything they had, there was no color barrier.
Then came big sponsorships, mega corporate teams, etc...etc. and the only ones that counted were the pros. I had to get out of it in the early 90's just due to the cost and the lack of time they allowed the sportsman classes to have. Hell, I can't dial a car in with only three practice runs for the weekend and expect to go four rounds on Sunday (back when there were no computers!)
Marketing assholes and MBA'S have turned everything into a business, or a "what can you do for me enterprise" and that is too bad for the average person.
Just my rant!

AquaBoogie
05-21-2004, 08:08 AM
Black, white, brown, yellow, who the fock cares what color the person is? Not everyone of a certain race gang bang and there are some in every race that do. You can go to other sporting events (e.g. football and basketball) where the seats are filled with minorities and nothing happens after or during the game, even when their team loses. I doubt very seriously that the attendance at the tracks will change. Majority of the tracks are located where there aren't a high number of minorities and the few that do attend a race will find that it's better to watch on tv.
I'll be sure to pass the word to the people in NASCAR how you guys feel when I go to their office later today.

twistedpair
05-21-2004, 08:08 AM
Ok, you're 'disappointed' in this thread, 'sad' in the other thread. Care to elaborate? I think most people on this racist board that so 'disappoints' you believe that people should provide for themselves, and make their own opportunities. What's your view?

HCS
05-21-2004, 08:24 AM
I'm not racist, I just don't care for gang bangers.
I don't really think diversity would draw that kind of a crowd, but
potentially anything could happen.
I don't care who drives the race car.

AquaBoogie
05-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by HUFFPOWER
hey auqaboogie, when you go to the office tell helton to pull his yellow flag out of his a..., we want racing not yellow's for every piece of paper on the track, tell him we want no RESTRICTOR plates either, and while your at it tell him this is america and people will choose what they want to see, we don't need MARKETEERS, PR PEOPLE,telling us or diversifying everthing we do in life, nascar give it a rest, your tracks will fill themselves with GOOD RACING.
schiada96, big willie, remember him from my brother-ini-law runnin at terminal island, the brotha's had some bad ol drag bikes there :D
Huffpower, Helton is in the Daytona office. I'm going to the office in Century City. They Century City office handles the broadcasting, media and marketing.
I agree with you 100%. Yellow flag endings suck big donkey dicks. So does restrictor plate racing. However, restrictor plate racing makes the driver use more drafting skills. I also agree with you on their marketing and targeting groups. Let the race draw the crowds. Don't force it on them.

haulina29
05-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Keep drafting for the Americas Cup,Nascar should be flat out foot to the floor all the fuel you want fastest car wins, race IROC if you want to show your drafting skills .

cdog
05-21-2004, 09:47 AM
Look what happened to that ass hole Wille T Mcribbs, the afro driver in indy a few years back. He was sponsored by another black bigot, the jello guy. Bill Cosby. I'd be suprised if that asshole ever did anything to help a white person. Bottom line Willie choked and sucked real bad, he was sponsored by mc donalds, he had all the opprotunity and no talent. Sounds typical.
I'd imagine the ticket prices will go up due to Nascar having to put security gates around everything at the track that's not bolted down.:D

victorfb
05-21-2004, 09:50 AM
racist or opinionated? its amazing how easily people confuse the two. i dont like the term "minority" to describe blacks, mexicans, ect. they are not the minority in most areas. american indians are, but i dont see them classifying themselfs as minority. Nascar is not the first organization to try and appeal to the other (races), but you have to realize that the other races are the majority and its only time untill the blending happens. i applaud Magic johnson for his efforts. he is a buisnessman. do i agree with his tactics? no. but he does create jobs. im glad to see him use his money and status to help not only line his pockets but also help the community. i dont think Koby will be doing anything like that. celebrity status these days has changed. only a select few still give back and give support to the country. and from what i see it is useually only whites. in the music industry i see it big time. a white artist will finally make it and use his/her status to give back because they know that it was the people that got them there. they go and support our troops, they create fund raising for children, or cancer victoms. but when a black artist makes it they have to keep thier "gang style" status and only worry about getting their "crib" on tv. basically saying "look what i got". am i being racist? i dont see it that way. its just the facts. will Nascar survive with this blending? maybe, but only by changing the sport. (which has been done allready) some of you whities will hate it and never support nascar again, but remember, you are the minority, and in Nascars eyes, you are a $5 bill compared to $100 bill. just wait till you see how much Toyota will give their race team. anyone watch CART racing anymore? may aswell be Toyota racing series.

cdog
05-21-2004, 09:59 AM
True, I have't been to Long Beach GP since 98. I don't know who the drivers are and I don't know how to pronounce their names.

manuel
05-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Read about Felix Sabates, it's the American dream multiplied X 10,
http://www.chipganassiracingwithfelixsabates.com/cgi-bin/db_searchz.cgi?user_id=43737&database=dbpg_felixsabates.exm&template=tmplt_felixsabates.htm&0=1
From nothing to the top with NO whinning, and he GIVES back BIG$$$,

AquaBoogie
05-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by victorfb
racist or opinionated? its amazing how easily people confuse the two. i dont like the term "minority" to describe blacks, mexicans, ect. they are not the minority in most areas. american indians are, but i dont see them classifying themselfs as minority. Nascar is not the first organization to try and appeal to the other (races), but you have to realize that the other races are the majority and its only time untill the blending happens. i applaud Magic johnson for his efforts. he is a buisnessman. do i agree with his tactics? no. but he does create jobs. im glad to see him use his money and status to help not only line his pockets but also help the community. i dont think Koby will be doing anything like that. celebrity status these days has changed. only a select few still give back and give support to the country. and from what i see it is useually only whites. in the music industry i see it big time. a white artist will finally make it and use his/her status to give back because they know that it was the people that got them there. they go and support our troops, they create fund raising for children, or cancer victoms. but when a black artist makes it they have to keep thier "gang style" status and only worry about getting their "crib" on tv. basically saying "look what i got". am i being racist? i dont see it that way. its just the facts. will Nascar survive with this blending? maybe, but only by changing the sport. (which has been done allready) some of you whities will hate it and never support nascar again, but remember, you are the minority, and in Nascars eyes, you are a $5 bill compared to $100 bill. just wait till you see how much Toyota will give their race team. anyone watch CART racing anymore? may aswell be Toyota racing series.
Somewhat true. But you are not looking at the U.S. as a whole. Only in small parts of the U.S. will you find the white man outnumbered by blacks or mexicans. If you combine the entire U.S. population, whites are still the majority.
Rap isn't the only music genre that blacks make. They also do R&B and Jazz. I believe there are also some black country artists. But I agree, I haven't seen very many rap artists give back or do something good for others. I also haven't seen many rock artists give back. I think most rap artits are stupid rich. Once they make some money. Instead of investing it or doing something good with it, they go out and buy bling...bling... (cars and jewelry). They need to wise up. That's why NASCAR is targeting minorities. They love to spend.

Scream
05-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by cdog
I'd imagine the ticket prices will go up due to Nascar having to put security gates around everything at the track that's not bolted down.:D
Like that doesn't happen now. Not a race goes by that all the banners, signs, or other "memorabila" don't get ripped off. I don't think trying to attract other than white audiences will make this much worse, IMO.

cdog
05-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Scream
Like that doesn't happen now. Not a race goes by that all the banners, signs, or other "memorabila" don't get ripped off. I don't think trying to attract other than white audiences will make this much worse, IMO.
I dion't know if it is still like this but when I used to go to the Long Beach GP we would get pit passes and tour the pits. There were gaurd rails but no fences to keep you out of the race rigs. True signs and banners get taken but I think thats expected.

manuel
05-21-2004, 10:46 AM
The most dangerous sports fans happen to be white,
SOCCER and HOCKEY, riots, dead bodies and burned cars seem common,:D

twistedpair
05-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Yeah, if NASCAR ever wants to be taken seriously, we're gonna have to learn how to riot like the other 'real' sports do after winning!

manuel
05-21-2004, 10:57 AM
YEAH! tossing a few cups and beer cans is wimpy! :D

Sleek-Jet
05-21-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Scream
I was told in Vegas (NHRA) this spring, that after noon on Sunday, all the banners on the fences are fair game.

twistedpair
05-21-2004, 11:26 AM
I was there sat. and sun. and saw Nothing like that. Well behaved crowd. Nascar, on the other hand.........

Sleek-Jet
05-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by twistedpair
I was there sat. and sun. and saw Nothing like that. Well behaved crowd. Nascar, on the other hand.........
I'm talking about the ones out on the fence by the staging lanes. We asked what the track was going to do with them, the event staff said they would be taken down and thrown away, so feel free to snag some if you want. So, some friends of mine did. My point being is we asked first before we took some down.
I agree on the NHRA crowd though, pretty good peeps. I've only had one bad experience at that race (and it was a couple drunk.white fockers) , and that was a couple years ago. We've been going since the inaugural year.

HCS
05-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Maybe now when we go to the race track we can get Colt45
40's.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_8_100.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008')

gnarley
05-21-2004, 12:21 PM
You know it's interesting that minorities can call themselves whatever country or continent they are from and attach American to it, like Mexican/American or African/American but those who are of WASP decent (white) cannot call themselves English/American or European/American and when you fill out an EOP form it only lists white for the WASP’s and then lists all the others that are not of WASP decent by ethnicity.
Why can’t I have my ethnicity listed? Isn’t that a form of racism discrimination or prejudice based on race? I would like to start calling myself other in those questioners that have labeled me as White. If every other minority gets some title other than American and I can't claim my ethnic heritage as English/American or European/American then I will be other.
I am proud of MY ethnic heritage and feel those of us that are proud of it if white should stand up for it and stop being counted just as white. This is a form of Discrimination and if this country wants to stop Discrimination we need to stop labeling everyone based on race and setting quotas from it.

Sleek-Jet
05-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by gnarley
You know it's interesting that minorities can call themselves whatever country or continent they are from and attach American to it, like Mexican/American or African/American
Tony Hillarman writes about being at a "Native American" conferance once. This blow hard intellectual type kept refering to the indians as "Native Americans". Finally one of the indian big wigs gets up and asks if anyone in attendance was born outside the US. No one replied. "Well, I guess that makes us all Native Americans then, doesn't it. Just call us indians", he said.
The ignorant and elitist like these "Fill in the blank" American stuff. Fock 'em

cigarette1
05-21-2004, 01:18 PM
where did the blacks in Jamaica come from ?

HCS
05-21-2004, 01:22 PM
how about europe. and by the way in europe they don't call them euopean-africans
Well then way are they. Euronigs.

cigarette1
05-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
Well then way are they. Euronigs.
Like I said somewhere else ...... :rolleyes:

CAHotRodBoy
05-21-2004, 01:26 PM
where did the blacks in Jamaica come from ?
Good question. For that matter, where did the Blacks in Africa come from?
I'm half Japanese. I wonder where the people in Japan came from? I think if you trace everyone back far enough you'll find we all came from the same place. So we are all brothers and sisters (happy thought of the day! :D ). I don't think it matters where you are from, it's how you act that counts!

gnarley
05-21-2004, 01:34 PM
By the way I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but Screw NASCAR and the stupid marketing to ethnic groups. I once was in NASCAR and just can't believe the stupidity and the greed they have. It is just a money machine now and that’s it.
If anyone wants to race in any sanctioned series the sanctioning body would welcome anyone of any ethnic group but most don't have what it takes to gather the sponsorship and have the talent that it takes to drive at the top and keep a sponsor.

cigarette1
05-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by CAHotRodBoy
Good question. For that matter, where did the Blacks in Africa come from?
I'm half Japanese. I wonder where the people in Japan came from? I think if you trace everyone back far enough you'll find we all came from the same place. So we are all brothers and sisters (happy thought of the day! :D ). I don't think it matters where you are from, it's how you act that counts!
True Dat !

JustMVG
05-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Look At James (Bubba) Stewart, kid has talent and got where he is, not because of a diversity program thru hard work, paying his dues, and now look where he is, top of the food chain and making big bucks, all i ever heard was how talented the kid was, and only after he got more media attention was the fact that he's a Black kid brought to the forefront, the media plays the race card and has taught a generation of people to play the race card to make it easier for yourself, oh poor me i didn't get the job, 'cause i'm (Insert minority here) , no you did not get the job because you were not qualified , you played the race card you're whole lide and got shuffled thru the system. If this program can get kids to stay in school and get edumacated then it will be a success, but NASCAR's history is from the backwoods and no schoolin' kinds of folks, when they talk about Ryan Newman they always bring up the fact that the guy has an engineering degree, great and that has made him a better driver too, maybe if NASCAR can put the emphasis on education, and actually do some good, make a place for yourself because you EARNED it.

manuel
05-21-2004, 02:22 PM
America was named in honor of Amerigo Vespucci, an Italian explorer and merchant. Eight signers of the Declaration of Independence were foreign-born, ALL arrived by BOAT which is the reason we are at this site, a common interest, Japan is an island so wherever they came from it was by BOAT,
E pluribus unum (out of many,one) in BOATS! preferably FAST ones.:D

CAHotRodBoy
05-21-2004, 02:48 PM
My NASCAR proposal: I started watching in the 60's. Petty, Pearson, Yarbough, etc. Cars were still pretty "stock" (bodied, anyway). The big 3 developed special cars to be more competative, especially after Smokey Yunick's altered Chevelle. Because NASCAR required the race cars to be "stock" cars the big 3 had to make available to the public what it raced. So we got Daytona Chargers, Plymouth Superbirds, Ford Talladega's, etc. (GM driopped out of racing by then). These were cars that we could buy off the showroom floor.
Now we have cars that fit a template that are all basically the same. The cars they are based on, Taurus, Monte Carlo, Intrepid are stinkin' front driver V6's. :yuk: . I think NASCAR should go back to running "stock' cars. That would force the big 3 to produce V8, rear drive, intermediate sized cars and we would benefit by being able to buy kickass cars. GM could run the new GTO (Holden), Ford would have to run Mustangs (with weight penalty to compensate for size), and DC, well, they'd be S.O.L. for now. The bodies would be left stock with no mods allowed. This would slow them down on the super speedways (no more restrictor plates!) and if the manufacturers didn't produce competative cars, well too bad. Race teams would go with the best car. No more crying about Chevys being better "aero" than Fords and needing a spoiler trim. No more running in big packs waiting for the inevatable "big one" to happen. And we could get real Road Runners, Torino's, Chevelle's, etc on the market again!

cigarette1
05-21-2004, 02:59 PM
And a frickin' Tarus is a front wheel drive 4-door

Sleek-Jet
05-21-2004, 03:13 PM
at least the chevy impala's are rear wheel drive...
Uhhh, last I checked new Impala's are still front wheel drive sedans.

CA Stu
05-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Is it that bad?
Now we're rear-wheel-drive-Americans? ;)
I'm sorry, but I did laugh at "Euronig".
That is so wrong on many levels, that it's fookin hilarious.
Thanks
CA Stu
PS Only the AMA Superbikes will get me to Fonsanada (Fontana).

gnarley
05-21-2004, 04:02 PM
at least the chevy impala's are rear wheel drive, just wait till nascar realizes the import market, god nascar will become a race with civic's, corollas, sentras, jetta's, go nascar:D
The last rear wheel drive Impala was produced in 1996, I have one and it's for sale with 67,000 original bone stock miles on it, and it's sweet if anyone is interested.