PDA

View Full Version : oil pres. sending unit

victorfb
05-21-2004, 03:30 PM
i went to install the oil pres. sending unit onto the 502 and it hits the motor plate. id have to cut quite a bit of the plate to make it fit and i dont want to weaken it that much. does anyone know if i can mount the sending unit into were the factory oil cooler lines go? its just in front of the oil filter pad on the underside of the block. there is two holes that the cooler lines would connect to if used in a truck. would i get the correct reading from there?

Sleek-Jet
05-21-2004, 04:52 PM
I used a little -4 braided hose and a couple adapters to mount the sending unit remotely, works great. Still was able to use the stock oil pressure location as well.

Cheap Thrills
05-21-2004, 06:11 PM
GM used an extender for oil pressure sending units that had two ports on them one for the guage and one for an idiot light or low pressure safety switch on the 350 and 305 TPI blocks and quite possibly others .
a cheap way out would be to go to the hardware store and get some threaded pipe nipples and set it out away from the block.
Good Luck
C.T. :wink:

victorfb
05-21-2004, 06:20 PM
thats what i basically did. had to use a 90 degree and pointed it down and to the rear of the block. now it doesnt hit the block, nor does the alternater hit. yippee.
now how about the water temp sending unit. i know its been common practice to mount it on the intake near the thermostat housing, but i see GM now installing them on the heads between the exhaust ports. i dont like that one. what about on the side of the block in one of the water drian holes? has anyone tried that yet? seems to me you wouldnt get the true temp since the water hasnt gone through the heads yet, but then again, youll know exactly what the temp is right around the cylinder walls. im just trying to find a nice hiddin spot. any ideas? were do you guys run it?

Rexone
05-21-2004, 07:08 PM
The water is hottest where it leaves the intake. That's the reason most are located there.
On cars while still true, it's less so because of a closed cooling system, not a cold water supplied one. So the temp throughout the engine is more consistant.
I personally would not run it down low in the water drain holes because that's really not the temp you should be interested in.

cruser
05-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Down low in the block might have a problem with getting covered with sediment. Especially with jet boats.
cruzer