PDA

View Full Version : bbf problem need help

blueskiller
05-21-2004, 05:35 PM
took the boat out a couple of days ago ever thing was fine intel the motor started to make a rattling noise at w.o.t. so i let off the gas and shut it off look over it check the oil everthing seems fine so i start it up no rattling or chatter so woundering if i was just imangening things i open it up agian and it starts rattling again sounds like it 's coming from the passenger side of the motor? any idea's on what it maybe? i took the valve cover off everthing looks fine no bent pushrods i'm thinking a bad lifter

victorfb
05-21-2004, 06:27 PM
i dont know fords all that well, but i do know that GM has had some oil dip stick tubes hitting the rotating assembly. you may be creating enough vacume with the oil pump sucking hard at WOT to pull the dip stick enough to hit the rotating assembly, or possibly even pulling the pan up enough aswell. how much clearance did you have on the pan to crank/rod caps?

77charger
05-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Dumb ?But is the timing set properly? does it only do it at WOT how about 3k.It sounds like its pingin to me.

LakesOnly
05-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by blueskiller
... the motor started to make a rattling noise at w.o.t., so I shut it off look it over...everthing seems fine, so i start it up no rattling or chatter..... i open it up agian and it starts rattling again...
Rattle at wide open throttle? Sounds like pinging to me...try backing your distributor advance off 2-4 degrees and see if that helps. Or try blending race gas with your pump gas (50/50) and see if it goes away.
Lucky for you your pinging isn't inaudible...
hey Charger:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/avatar.php?userid=2333&dateline=1084681597
Who is this and how can I tit-fukc her?
LO

LakesOnly
05-21-2004, 06:51 PM
(I tellya...look at how I had to flip the spelling around in the above post so that I could get my point across. If it was spelled correctly, the post shows up as "****."
Sensorship...sheez, what a bunch of crap. This is supposed to be an 18-over website.)
LO

powerplay230
05-21-2004, 07:51 PM
BlueKiller,
What was the engine temp doing during all of this? Few months ago on return trip I had a similiar incident, rattling, temp shot up to 210, dropped rev's etc.... ended up being my simplest problem ever, Bravo drive picked up some trash and was almost cutting the water flow out all together. After trip put it on a hose and was fine, still pulled sea pump off and checked it- first time ever it was fine.. Was as good as new afterwards until my next mess..:D :D :D
Hope it is OK,
rick

77charger
05-21-2004, 08:07 PM
hey lakes only this is for you i dont know who she is but heres the full size pic(she looks hot to me though)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/15z3.jpg

powerplay230
05-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Dang Ford and Mopar guys sticking together.....
Blueskiller I could (most likey) be way off having a chevy BB in my boat. After all ask around I am the resident Chimp...

JETBOY03
05-22-2004, 09:38 AM
i had the same problem last time i was out one of my rocker arm came loose.

blueskiller
05-22-2004, 12:15 PM
this maybe stupiud but how or can you adjust the vavles seems that all of the rocker arms are tight engine temp @ 180 i know pingin and this did'nt sound like that can i replace all the lifters with out replaceing the cam i just want to git by intel i can build a new motor thanks in advance