PDA

View Full Version : water in the oil

dtr352
05-21-2004, 06:31 PM
I need help. I have a 77 southwind with a 468 chevy and berkley jet. The boat ran great the first trip out until I checked the oil and it was milky. I then tore the motor down and replaced the head gaskets intake and exhaust gaskets. When I took the boat out to test it yesturday I had the same problem. Milked the oil in about half an hour. What could be causing this. I do run basset headers but I don't have any water in them at idle. Could water be getting in through a bad oil pan gasket. Besides the oil problem the motor runs great. I have never had a problem like this. How should I go about diagnosing it. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Petrofied
05-21-2004, 07:02 PM
How big is your cam. Could be reversion!!! I would pull my heads back off and have them tanked and maged! Block cracks are rare for a BBC. Look close at your heads MY $.02 Good luck,
MR.P. :)

GlastronGuy
05-21-2004, 08:05 PM
I have a 455 but it took retorking the intake manifold 2 different times (3 total) to get it to seal.

Squirtcha?
05-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Could be too much water pressure from the pump to the block. Is there a valve between them? It'll put water in your oil even if everything else is functioning perfectly (no bad head gasket, warped or cracked heads, block etc). This is the cheapest (sometimes free) fix and I always go after them first.
Too much water pressure and the resulting water in the oil problem is probably the most common deal with jetboats. (usually thought to be something much more serious than it is).

Heatseeker
05-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Check your head bolts. I chased the milkshake all last summer. I finally found that water was being forced past two of the head stud's threads in the block, traveling up the holes and coming out at the nuts.
I used teflon paste on the offending studs. After filling the block with water and putting 25 psi of air pressure on it, not a leak was found.

AmericanThunder1
05-21-2004, 11:21 PM
As far as your bassets I have water injected bassets you dont want very much water flow if any at low idle or you can take a chance of getting a splash of water on your valves and crack your heads. I was told not to idle around any longer then nesessary as well or your headers will get too hot and blue too much, take the good with the bad. It sounds like your valve is running good. I put and overflow in mine. As far as your milk problem listen to the other guys and my suggestion is you can replace all the head gaskets you want but if you are warped or cracked any where your screwed.