PDA

View Full Version : Speed Coat bottom Coating?

powerplay230
05-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Speed Coat??
Has anyone ever used Speedcoat, or is it about as good as snake oil? Any better than a waxed gel coat bottom??
Rick

mike37
05-22-2004, 07:56 PM
An acetone based dry film lubricant, Speedcoat is ideal for minimizing friction on bottoms, drive units, jet pump impellers or any other part of your boat that has an exposed running surface. Requires no thinning and can be brushed or sprayed on. History has shown that a typical bottom will require 1/2 to 1 gallon for complete coating.
**Note- Speedcoat can only be shipped by UPS ground and is not available for air shipment or international export of any type.
http://www.eddiemarine.com/Cart/Pictures/em_100.jpg
Price Purchase
EM-100 8 OZ. AEROSOL SPEEDCOAT $16.50
EM-101 QUART SPEEDCOAT $34.50
EM-102 GALLON SPEEDCOAT $125.00
sounds like silacon spray to me wax is cheeper

eliminatedsprinter
05-24-2004, 03:06 PM
My understanding is speed coat works better than waxing. Waxing may actually increase drag. One other way to go for decreasing hull drag is to wet sand it with about a 600 grit sandpaper on the bottom. The slight irregularities from this light sanding help break up surface tension and reduce hull drag.

LUVNLIFE
05-24-2004, 07:19 PM
This is a good thread to start. The first time I have the motor out of the Daytona, I 'm going to have the bottom straightened and coated. All info is welcome along with prices. Thanks in advance. Cale

powerplay230
05-25-2004, 07:49 PM
This is the kinda info I was hoping to hear and maybe a little testimonial from anyone who has tried it. Hoping some seat of the pants testing will help make up my mind to just buy silicone in a can or the real thing if it does work.
Keep those ideas coming!!!!
:) :D :cool:

BROS&HOS
05-27-2004, 01:41 PM
My buddy had his boat completely re-done a couple of years ago.
He had teflon put on about half way up the hull from the transom.
We give him a hard time, that we could flip his boat over and grill some steaks out at the river.

roln 20s
05-27-2004, 07:02 PM
If I am not mistaken, Howard let Speedcoat try their stuff out on a 28 Bullet a year or so-- it did nothing at all, and Gene had them cleaning all of that stuff off for awhile. I'm 90% sure this was the stuff- so I guess you can take it for what its worth.
Roln 20s

BILLY.B
05-31-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by powerplay230
Speed Coat??
Has anyone ever used Speedcoat, or is it about as good as snake oil? Any better than a waxed gel coat bottom??
Rick There is another product out that is powdered graphite and can be mixed with paint. A hell of alot cheaper and it doesn't rub off (Trailer Bunks) as fast as the liquid graphite. Another deal I did to the bottom of my K boat was to roughen the bottom of the boat up with an epoxy primer before the speed coat. I took a paint roller ( For rough surfaces) and rolled the primer from the strakes out to the chines. When the primer was dry I scuffed it to knock off the high spots (nubbs) and then rolled on the speed coat. By appyling the primer with the roller it made the bottom look like it had some sand on it which in turn should airreate the bottom from the water resulting in less drag....It worked. The boat picked up 800 rpm without any other changes. Hope this helps you out and if you'd like to get some of this powdered graphite you can call me at my shop. 909-982-8555...:)