PDA

View Full Version : Knucklehead needs help!!!

MOBrien
05-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Moronic Q, but I'm confused for some reason.......
Always used dad's boat in the past, threw the anchor out and clipped the sucker in. Should've paid more attention I guess.
Now I've got my own and..........
I've got an anchor, anchor buddy, 3' vinyl coated chain, anchor buoy, 100' of 7/16 braided line (to make an anchor line extension and shore tie line), several spring hooks(to put at various lengths for deep water anchoring if needed?)......and no freakin idea how to set this up the correct way so I don't have to F with it again. It's got to be basic, but my brain is melting from a long week of work and I can't pull my thoughts together. How much line is enough for the shore line? How do you splice this stuff?
Some quick advice please. I'm heading to the water tomorrow.
Thanks,
Dumb-a$$:idea:

Scream
05-21-2004, 08:57 PM
Splicing and quick don't go together actually...
I'd say for a shore line you'd want 50' minimum, as well as the anchor line. For the River or Havasu, 50' of Anchor is ok, but anywhere else, you'll need 100', IMO
My shoreline has one carabiner (sp) to the boat, and a loop for the stake on shore. My anchor line also has a carabiner next to the float, and attached to the chain, when I had a chain. I've got a box anchor now and don't need a chain now.
I've never used an anchor buddy line before, but I've heard a lot of people say that they work well.
Good luck

MOBrien
05-21-2004, 09:06 PM
Thanks Scream.
Appreciate the quick response. How far up the line is your caribiner & float? I heard the box anchors were sweet and am getting one ASAP...but gotta make due with the standard anchor for now. Is there a certain knot I should be using when tying stuff off and making loops? Do knots make the line weaker?
Thanx again,
MOB

Scream
05-21-2004, 09:25 PM
MOB,
Knots, try either a simple loop for the carabiners or a bowline or lifesaving knot. The float is within 2 feet of the end of the anchor line. The end of the line has the carabiner. The anchor line can be temporarily shortened using a sheep shank knot. You can look these knots up online and they'll give you detailed instructions on how to tie them.
The simple loops will be harder to untie than the bowline, and the bowline will not come untied unless you want it to, so if you're up to tying it, that's the one I'd use. Remember if you have a lot of loose rope in the water it's gonna end up in your prop or intake. And in case you haven't had to chop rope out of a prop before, it sucks, so that sheep shank will help keep it in place.
The anchor buddy should have a good description of how to set up you stuff too. I've seached for several boat anchor sites and usually the yachting sites have the best info. Check them out and it'll give you the right info on your setup.
Have fun..
Scream

MOBrien
05-21-2004, 09:31 PM
Muchas Gracias!!!!!
Guess I was just looking in the wrong places for online info...
I'm getting to work on it right now. Have a good weekend.
-MOB