PDA

View Full Version : ballast resistor?

hellbound
05-21-2004, 10:04 PM
? is im running a msd 6a box, blaster 2 coil mallory unilite (electronic) dist.do i still need the ballast resistor?

Cheap Thrills
05-21-2004, 10:36 PM
The ballast is not necessary if an MSD 6 or 7 series Ignition Control is being used with the points distributor. When you are using an MSD Ignition Control, the ignition is responsible for delivering the voltage to the coil so a ballast is not necessary.
link (http://www.inlinefour.com/twincamtech/msdblas2coil.html)
C.T. :wink:

Fiat48
05-22-2004, 08:17 AM
I would call Mallory and ask them. While the MSD doesn't need a ballast, the unlilyte module does. In fact, Mallory used to recommend 2 ballast resistors to protect the module.

shaun
05-22-2004, 08:29 AM
dont buy from inlinefour, those guys are crooks, i've had friends screwed by them.

Mr Twister
05-22-2004, 11:36 AM
I agree with fiat 48. Check out the instructions for the unilite, which used to be on Mallory's website. I run an MSD and a unilite distributor and have installed a ballast to protect the module.

Hemicbx
05-23-2004, 08:30 AM
MSD has an instruction sheet that shows installation with a Unilite and it does NOT show a resistor.
However, Mallory instruction sheet for use with an aftermarket ignition DOES show a resistor.
The Unilite module operates on a relatively low voltage so I'd err on the side of safety and use one. In fact, w/ my Unilite, I do use one.
Hemicbx