PDA

View Full Version : Beck Racing Engines

SDLifesaver
10-05-2003, 11:59 AM
Anybody have any info on this company? They are from Phoenix and were recommended by somebody I know but I am looking for a few more opinions. Building a Howard 26 Cat.

Craig
10-05-2003, 12:37 PM
If you do a search for "Beck" in all forums you'll get quite a few hits and some good info. This subject has come up before. Personally, I'd recommend Larry's Speed & Marine in Tucson. A number of guys including myself use his motors.
Larry's Engine and Marine (http://www.larrysengine.com/)
Craig
[ October 05, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Craig ]

TPI
10-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Dont get too many opinions, it gets confusing. Thats my opinion :D

GofastRacer
10-05-2003, 07:10 PM
All I'm going to say about this is go with Larry's, Larry Peto knows his shit!!.. :cool:

Infomaniac
10-05-2003, 07:12 PM
No info here. :rolleyes:
Too far from the Marine Assault engine factory.

GofastRacer
10-05-2003, 07:18 PM
Hmmm, from I can tell this is a pretty good source also!!. "Marine Assault engine factory"!!.. :D

goinballistic
10-05-2003, 08:25 PM
i know a guy that use to run that shop, he says the owner is fanatical about being clean and keeping his equipment in good shape. that makes him better than about 80% of the shops out there!

Cs19
10-05-2003, 09:01 PM
check pms lifesaver.

Cs19
10-05-2003, 09:17 PM
nevermind, i cant seem to send you a pm. :confused: Uhh, do some research on other shops in the socal area before you choose one. If you have to drive to the o.c. area, thats no big deal, its better than building a motor twice. good luck.

superdave013
10-06-2003, 07:29 AM
goinballistic:
i know a guy that use to run that shop, he says the owner is fanatical about being clean and keeping his equipment in good shape. that makes him better than about 80% of the shops out there! To bad for Beck that Darrin is not there any longer.
If he would have been there when another forum member's blown 540 was built maybe it would have ran better.

Slick
10-06-2003, 07:47 AM
Around here they call 'em "Broken Racing Engines". There are alot of options out there.

roln 20s
10-06-2003, 08:23 AM
Although the only things I have heard about BRE was horror stories prior to this weekend, SandbarMike has a BRE in his Force and its running great.
However, if it was my dollar- I'm going to Larry's Engine in Tucson.
I want to build a 26 Howard Cat too, hopefully next year, and I plan on using Larry.
As everyone says, tons of opinions- take them for whatever they are worth.
Good luck.
Roln 20s

SDLifesaver
10-06-2003, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the input. I am just trying to nail down the last piece of the 6 figure plus pie. Phaff is leading, Teague second, and this GT guy has me curious, I wish he would email me some 411. Anybody have a new Phaff 600 with Fuel Injection?

Cs19
10-06-2003, 09:49 PM
Give DNE Motorsports in costa mesa,ca. a call.

UBFJ #454
10-07-2003, 04:35 AM
Definately take a serious look at DNE Motorsports ... You will not be sorry.
Dave Ebbert ..... (949) 631-3781
If you want to see an example of his work go to the photo gallery at our website.

Terrible Buddhist
10-07-2003, 11:14 AM
BRE screwed up my uncles new blown 406 pretty good...they thought the hyper pistons would work, and were VERY wrong...some other quality control issues in there as well...wouldn't use them.

River Lynchmob
10-07-2003, 04:33 PM
SD if you're lloking at Teague and Pfaff definitelly look at Carson Brummett in Pasadena he builds twin turbos both carborated and EFI blower motors and quad rotter whipple with either carbs or EFI between my dad and i we have 4 boat motors and 2 motors in cars plus countless motors over the years in any configuration you can think of and never a problem... none every motor is dyno'd. he is hte owner of Gentry Tubos Systems.

Jrocket
10-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Infomaniac:
No info here. :rolleyes:
Too far from the Marine Assault engine factory. Now that was a smooth plug! :D

GofastRacer
10-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Terrible Buddhist:
BRE screwed up my uncles new blown 406 pretty good...they thought the hyper pistons would work, and were VERY wrong...some other quality control issues in there as well...wouldn't use them. Those pistons are only good for a low compression street motor, they are too brittle, they break under heavy load!.. :rolleyes:

GofastRacer
10-07-2003, 08:14 PM
Now I know why I build my own motors!.. :rolleyes: :D

Sandbar Mike
10-15-2003, 12:29 PM
SDLifesaver:
Anybody have any info on this company? They are from Phoenix and were recommended by somebody I know but I am looking for a few more opinions. Building a Howard 26 Cat. B.R.E
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/40IM000191-med.JPG
I have one of Frank Becks 540's in my Force, Allthough I've herd a number of pro's and con's about using him, I have no reason to go anywhere else. It's pushing good horspower 650, Flawless performance and not a hick-up at all through the entire first summer season. One reason originally why I used him was due to the 1 yr complete warranty.

Slick
10-15-2003, 12:46 PM
The person I know of who had a BRE motor built, had a blower motor done. Maybe their carb models are okay.

Jungle Boy
10-15-2003, 01:27 PM
We know a guy that had a SBC built for his marathon river race boat and it lasted about 2 hrs. It claimed to have 600+ HP, but could only turn a C impeller at 5800/5900 RPM. It did not impress nobody in our crowd.

Infomaniac
10-15-2003, 02:03 PM
Jungle Boy:
We know a guy that had a SBC built for his marathon river race boat and it lasted about 2 hrs. It claimed to have 600+ HP, but could only turn a C impeller at 5800/5900 RPM. It did not impress nobody in our crowd. Ah yes the old HP claim. Surprising what happens when an engine comes from a HP fudge war market and installed in front of the good old jet pump.
The Marine Assault Quad Rotor made 970 honest HP with 6-7 lbs of boost. The boat is going 130. Not many 130 MPH boats around claiming 970 HP. Stern drive by the way.
[ October 15, 2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Sandbar Mike
10-16-2003, 06:21 AM
The Marine Assault Quad Rotor made 970 honest HP with 6-7 lbs of boost. The boat is going 130. Not many 130 MPH boats around claiming 970 HP. Stern drive by the way. [/QB][/QUOTE]
Hey Infomaniac,
Hows the dependabiltiy so far on your Quadrotor set ups? I'm interested in your 705. Is that pump gas? How much HP?
I'm setting my sites on a new set-up for a canopied 29 Force.
Thanks

DogHouse
10-16-2003, 10:30 AM
Sandbar Mike:
Thanks Uh-oh.
eek!

Infomaniac
10-16-2003, 11:31 AM
Sandbar Mike:
The Marine Assault Quad Rotor made 970 honest HP with 6-7 lbs of boost. The boat is going 130. Not many 130 MPH boats around claiming 970 HP. Stern drive by the way. Hey Infomaniac,
Hows the dependabiltiy so far on your Quadrotor set ups? I'm interested in your 705. Is that pump gas? How much HP?
Thanks [/QB][/QUOTE]
Well Mike the engine is very dependable. Trying to arrange another rocket ship outing tonight. The season is about over here in Oklahoma. Need more video. Actually the drive is the weak link in these deals.
Believe it or not. (Knock on wood with both hands) The owner of the project engine has managed to keep a stock bravo behind it all season. With some driving tips I provided. Will upgrade over the winter.
Yes all of the quad rotor engines are pump gas. The 540 makes 1,100 when the boost is increaed to 12 lbs. That was my target to begin with. Installed it in the boat with the 6-7 lb pulleys. The boat goes so fast there is no need to increase the boost.
I need someone to step up and buy a 705 model before I will know exactly how much power it will make. It will be no less than 1,400. You can imagine what drive it will require behind it. Maybe you are that guy?
Can bump the 540 up to 572 - 582 with no additional cost and should make plenty of power. We have 93 octane available at the pump most anywhere. 91 would be acceptable as I put very low compression in them.
[ October 16, 2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

572Daytona
10-16-2003, 11:54 AM
Infomaniac:
I need someone to step up and buy a 705 model before I will know exactly how much power it will make. It will be no less than 1,400. You can imagine what drive it will require behind it. Maybe you are that guy?
I can imagine a jet drive would do nicely :D Put an AAA stainless impeller and you should be ready to rock. I heard that you are looking at getting a jetboat info, any truth to that rumor? I'm also curious, how much more if any would the 705 weigh over a 540 or 572?

Blown 472
10-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Holy shit, 1400hp on pump gas, that would rock.

Infomaniac
10-16-2003, 12:40 PM
572Daytona:
Infomaniac:
I can imagine a jet drive would do nicely :D Put an AAA stainless impeller and you should be ready to rock. I heard that you are looking at getting a jetboat info, any truth to that rumor? I'm also curious, how much more if any would the 705 weigh over a 540 or 572? Yes I would like to have a very well set up jet boat. I am pretty sure I would have more fun. As it is now, no one around here will race me unless someone tows a race boat out. I broke quite a few things this year in the drive line. I have my hardware overpowered and it lasted this long only because it was all brand new. Some big bucks to keep it up from now on. I will build myself one of these pump gas monsters and put the alcohol injection away for now.
The deck on the 705 is 1.425 inches taller and a massive crank and rods. So that plus an external pump will be the additional weight. Oh yea 3.3 Whipples instead of 2.3 Whipples. Not too crazy about using intake spacers but no way around it.
The N/A version can use a sheet metal intake to get around spacers. It will probably make 1,000 ft/lbs of torque and run at stock Mercruiser RPM's

Sandbar Mike
10-16-2003, 02:03 PM
Infomaniac:
Sandbar Mike:
The Marine Assault Quad Rotor made 970 honest HP with 6-7 lbs of boost. The boat is going 130. Not many 130 MPH boats around claiming 970 HP. Stern drive by the way. Hey Infomaniac,
Thanks Well Mike the engine is very dependable. Trying to arrange another rocket ship outing tonight. The season is about over here in Oklahoma. Need more video. Actually the drive is the weak link in these deals.
Believe it or not. (Knock on wood with both hands) The owner of the project engine has managed to keep a stock bravo behind it all season. With some driving tips I provided. Will upgrade over the winter.
Yes all of the quad rotor engines are pump gas. The 540 makes 1,100 when the boost is increaed to 12 lbs. That was my target to begin with. Installed it in the boat with the 6-7 lb pulleys. The boat goes so fast there is no need to increase the boost.
Can bump the 540 up to 572 - 582 with no additional cost and should make plenty of power. We have 93 octane available at the pump most anywhere. 91 would be acceptable as I put very low compression in them. [/QB][/QUOTE]
When I get closer we'll definitly talk.
Thanks for the info, Infomaniac :D

Sandbar Mike
10-16-2003, 02:08 PM
DogHouse:
Sandbar Mike:
Thanks Uh-oh.
eek! Brian, The wheels are spinning and I can't make them stop.
Help
Force should have all three of there canopied model's complete for the LA Boat show in January,
I'm pretty dang excited.

jackpunx
10-16-2003, 02:32 PM
[ October 16, 2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: jackpunx ]

DogHouse
10-16-2003, 03:00 PM
Sandbar Mike:
Brian, The wheels are spinning and I can't make them stop.
Help
Force should have all three of there canopied model's complete for the LA Boat show in January,
I'm pretty dang excited. I have no problem making my wheels stop spinning... One look at my bank account and they come screeching to a halt, right quick! I'm happy where I'm at. As stuff wears and/or breaks, I'm sure there will be changes along the line, but I'm trying hard to stay out of the "big dog on the lake" upgrade fever. Now maybe if I had a money tree in the back yard, my answer would be different! :D

SPECTRABRENT
10-16-2003, 07:08 PM
SandBarMike,
What parts did your engine builder use when making your motor, block, rods, crank etc.?
What was the cost?
Thanks,
Brent
www.spectramarine.com (http://www.spectramarine.com)

Sandbar Mike
10-17-2003, 05:54 AM
[/qb][/QUOTE]I have no problem making my wheels stop spinning... One look at my bank account and they come screeching to a halt, right quick! I'm happy where I'm at. As stuff wears and/or breaks, I'm sure there will be changes along the line, but I'm trying hard to stay out of the "big dog on the lake" upgrade fever. Now maybe if I had a money tree in the back yard, my answer would be different! :D [/QB][/QUOTE]
I here you, All I can say is I thought I was content with a low 80's MPH ride, Damn I want to go faster. Oh Well
Brian did you ever figure out what the deal was with your engine?
Spectrabrent,
It's a typical merlin block with Dart heads, I have a full parts list at home, If you pm me a fax # I'll shoot it to you. I think the cost of the engine was around 20K.