PDA

View Full Version : crapy starters

AmericanThunder1
05-23-2004, 01:04 PM
when I bought my jet it had a 350 ci starter in it so I bought the biggist starter oriellys auto parts had and I still have major starter drag problems any suggestions on what I need to do? should I ad a different shim or go with a gear reducted starter?
SOS!!!

Taylorman
05-23-2004, 01:49 PM
It may not be your starter. What condition is your cables in. What size are they? My starter used to have a hard time turning my engine. I changed my cables to 2/0 and now that sucker spins fast. If your cable cant carry the voltage that your starter needs then you need bigger cables.

AmericanThunder1
05-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Good Idea that makes good sense I will get some new cables tomarrow I just have to find someone who carries them that big. I hope it works will let you know if it did monday or tuesday, thanks.

Taylorman
05-23-2004, 06:08 PM
West Marine if there is one near you should have some. Otherwise, try some electrical store. Make sure to get the end crimped on really tight. A tight electrical connection is essential.

King Kuracz
05-23-2004, 06:22 PM
I had cables made up at West Marine too. When they made them up, I had them put about ten 1" long pieces of rosin core solder in the lug end with the cable before they crimped it. When I got it home I heated the lug up with a propane torch just enough to melt the solder. Tightly crimped and soldered too, can't be too careful.

AmericanThunder1
05-24-2004, 05:42 PM
I got some 1/0 battery cable and brass connecters but I am getting t-stormed out so I will try again tommarow.

GlastronGuy
05-24-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by AmericanThunder1
I got some 1/0 battery cable and brass connecters but I am getting t-stormed out so I will try again tommarow.
My wife is about 75 miles away from you right now near Maryville, MO. She said that they got 3" of rain.

AmericanThunder1
05-24-2004, 06:22 PM
she is a lot less then 75 miles more like about 45 and I heard 4" and now we are getting hammered again I live next to the river and it is about ready to come over the top!!!!!!!!!! Trees are comming down I guess I am going to the lake this weekend:D

AmericanThunder1
05-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the advice, that worked great. I got a little stupid and bought 1/0 and doubled up on my ground with 1 4/0 and 1 6/0 but too much or not that starter cranked her right over. I really like those brass battery connecters they fit snug and look good too.