PDA

View Full Version : Thank you DCBob and DeltaRat!!

diggler
04-03-2006, 06:43 AM
This past Friday, I had to move the boat so I could get the trailer repaired at Boatmasters. (Thank you very much Drew, the job Glen did is great!). Well, it was a hell of an experience driving in pitch black night, with the threat of rain constant. Bob and Terry helped me get the boat moved and shuttled me so i could get back to the trailer. I really appreciate it, thanks again!
As a note, this was a hell of a way to get out on my boat for the first time this year! Not good conditions whatsoever, but a hell of a blast being on it again after a long winter!

DCBob
04-03-2006, 06:51 AM
This past Friday, I had to move the boat so I could get the trailer repaired at Boatmasters. (Thank you very much Drew, the job Glen did is great!). Well, it was a hell of an experience driving in pitch black night, with the threat of rain constant. Bob and Terry helped me get the boat moved and shuttled me so i could get back to the trailer. I really appreciate it, thanks again!
As a note, this was a hell of a way to get out on my boat for the first time this year! Not good conditions whatsoever, but a hell of a blast being on it again after a long winter!
Glad to help Dig. Also, happy yer junk is all put back together and ready for the season :rollside: See ya on the water :cool:

acatitude
04-03-2006, 06:56 AM
Bob, how is yours coming along?? when will you be ready again?? im still in LOTO but will be ready for some more water time in a week. this is one big ass lake back here. hope you guys all get your stuff going soon..... and the rain can go also....

DCBob
04-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Bob, how is yours coming along?? when will you be ready again?? im still in LOTO but will be ready for some more water time in a week. this is one big ass lake back here. hope you guys all get your stuff going soon..... and the rain can go also....
Howdy Ken, youall havin fun back there in BrokeBackBoatin country :rolleyes: Shoot some pics so weze can check it out and be safe. My junk is coming slowly along. Should know tomorrow the extent of injury and what it's going to take to giter done :cry: Are you running a Hydraulic or solid lifter cam/how do you like it?

TUNNEL T
04-05-2006, 08:05 PM
just in case your junk won't be running soon! i have a present for you! (in the form of a prop! ) i'll try to swing by soon,cuz with this weather you aint going boating! TUNNEL T

acatitude
04-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Bob, im running hydraulic w/ 6k rev limiter and so far so good. Larry built the motor for a lot of mid range and emphasis on the valve train. I'm happy with this setup as theres no adjusting and messing with trying to get the valve covers off all the time. got all the good rockers rods guides titanium this and that that doesnt mean much to a non mechanic like me. I just said i want the best there is and then wrote the check, and wrote the check,and wrote the check,lol..
Hope we can get out there soon. anxiuos to see your monster going and run with ya, well maybe a little behind ya :)

DCBob
04-06-2006, 06:50 AM
Bob, im running hydraulic w/ 6k rev limiter and so far so good. Larry built the motor for a lot of mid range and emphasis on the valve train. I'm happy with this setup as theres no adjusting and messing with trying to get the valve covers off all the time. got all the good rockers rods guides titanium this and that that doesnt mean much to a non mechanic like me. I just said i want the best there is and then wrote the check, and wrote the check,and wrote the check,lol..
Hope we can get out there soon. anxiuos to see your monster going and run with ya, well maybe a little behind ya :)
Thanks for the 411 Ken...We've got her all torn down now and it's decision time....The hydraulic sounds soooo good because of all the stuff you pointed out.............but, I got to taste a little of the power Rocket-man was talking about w/the big solid roller stick and well....it was bitchen :2purples: :2purples: I know we all hardly ever push our rides :idea: but wtf a guy can always use a little extra power :rolleyes: decisions..decisions :cool:

acatitude
04-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Hey Bob I think even with the hydraulic setup you will have a lot of power in that beast, but I know what ya mean. The old 540 motor had solid rollers and would spin high. AS long as its set up right with the good shit you be fine either way. Im lazy I guess, I dont want to mess with it any more then needed. And I seem to find a way to screw it up when my fingers get in there. :crossx: . Good luck with whichever way you go. look forward to seeing it done and on the water. You always got a seat in the grocery getter if ya want to go slow till your done.

acatitude
04-06-2006, 01:10 PM
like I always say Bob.......when it comes to horsepower and boobs........
If some is good More is better :)

Robbie Racer
04-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the 411 Ken...We've got her all torn down now and it's decision time....The hydraulic sounds soooo good because of all the stuff you pointed out.............but, I got to taste a little of the power Rocket-man was talking about w/the big solid roller stick and well....it was bitchen :2purples: :2purples: I know we all hardly ever push our rides :idea: but wtf a guy can always use a little extra power :rolleyes: decisions..decisions :cool:
Bob, does your motor have the large bore lifters or the standard sized lifters? What is the valve lift? My motor has the large bore lifters and I normally can get around 200 hours on my valve train before a failure (broken valve spring) with a solid roller cam. I think it has about .740" lift.

DCBob
04-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Bob, does your motor have the large bore lifters or the standard sized lifters? What is the valve lift? My motor has the large bore lifters and I normally can get around 200 hours on my valve train before a failure (broken valve spring) with a solid roller cam. I think it has about .740" lift.
Thats what I'm talkin about :rollside: :rollside: Standard, it's getting the lifter bosses bored out to large as we speak. We are working w/Crane on the cam going back w/solid rollers I'll let you know the final grind as soon as I hear. Do you know the duration on your cam and what springs you use? Thanks again!

diggler
04-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Keith, how often does Glen Schuler adjust your valves?
Is there anyone closer to Walnut Creek that is trusted?

Robbie Racer
04-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Bob, sounds like you are going in the right direction with the big bore lifters. I would also recommend installing some lifters that are "self oiling" while idleing. As much as I go through long 5 mph zones, I like the idea of the rollers getting lubricated while at an idle. My cam's duration is 272 intake and 276 exhaust @.050. I was in error about the lift. It is .726" with a 1.6 rocker ratio.
Diggler, Glen adjusts my valve about every 30 hours or so. I could probably get away with every 50 hours as he usually doesn't find them out of adjustment more than a couple of thou or so after 30 hours. I don't know of anyone closer to Walnut Creek but I'm sure there are people up that way that could do it for you. It's not exactly rocket science. I learned how to do it on my race motor when it was in the Bitch Quick Pro Gas Jet a couple of years ago but now have forgotten again since I don't do it often enough. :cool:

DCBob
04-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Bob, sounds like you are going in the right direction with the big bore lifters. I would also recommend installing some lifters that are "self oiling" while idleing. As much as I go through long 5 mph zones, I like the idea of the rollers getting lubricated while at an idle. My cam's duration is 272 intake and 276 exhaust @.050. I was in error about the lift. It is .726" with a 1.6 rocker ratio.
Diggler, Glen adjusts my valve about every 30 hours or so. I could probably get away with every 50 hours as he usually doesn't find them out of adjustment more than a couple of thou or so after 30 hours. I don't know of anyone closer to Walnut Creek but I'm sure there are people up that way that could do it for you. It's not exactly rocket science. I learned how to do it on my race motor when it was in the Bitch Quick Pro Gas Jet a couple of years ago but now have forgotten again since I don't do it often enough. :cool:

diggler
04-09-2006, 06:06 PM
I have been doing them every 10 hours. Is this excessive? I can do it myself, but working around hot OT headers and constantly burning myself sure gets old! :D

Robbie Racer
04-10-2006, 08:02 AM
I have been doing them every 10 hours. Is this excessive? I can do it myself, but working around hot OT headers and constantly burning myself sure gets old! :D
How much adjustment are you having to make at 10 hours? If no or very little adjustment is needed, you might try 15 hours, then if that is okay try 20 hours. It all depends on how agressive the cam is and how you drive it. That is one reason that I changed to a less agressive cam a couple years ago. I can live with ajusting them every 30 hours but every 10 hours would be too much for me. :(