PDA

View Full Version : won't idle ????????

flattie
05-03-2002, 06:15 PM
Finially a nice day so I fired it up and hooked up a garden hose. It wont stay running until I have a total advance of 42deg. if I retard it down to 34 deg the engine feels lazy any thoughts?

bruleracer
05-03-2002, 06:38 PM
with any cam at all most engines need 12 to 20 degrees at idle and what ever your total is, sounds like it could be falling off the advance, ie. to mutch advance (mech) in the dist. Set total, at speed. (when it stops advancing) and then let the moter come back to idle, and check the timing, it should be about 15 degrees. if not the dist needs a recurve, with the MSD its easy, also try to get total advance in by 2,600 - 2,800 rpm

Infomaniac
05-03-2002, 09:26 PM
Look somewhere else other than the timing. bruleracer is correct about how to set the timing but The problem is probably not that. The blower is new to this engine? I suspect throttle valve to transfer slot adjustment. Maybe even as simple as idle mixture.

eliminator777
05-05-2002, 05:16 AM
Flattie,question did you set carbs. up for blower.I use a mag it's locked out how did you set cam with my vertex I run 34 deg. start run idle it dosn't matter. I have at least 10 boats that I set up cam -carb -Ing.and so on you might have to make a couple of corrections to metering blocks it's not a big thing.you can e-mail me eliminator777@earthlink.net