PDA

View Full Version : Need New Gauges

Lickety_Split
05-23-2004, 06:19 PM
I need some new gauges. Only half of mine work and the ones that work i don't trust for accurate readings. I was wondering what gauges you all were running? Is any one running autometer? I heard that you can have problems with them because they aren't corrosion resistant. What gauges would you recommend? Thanks

MudPumper
05-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Autometer has marine guages, check the Rex Marine site under guages. Pro Comp Marine

victorfb
05-23-2004, 09:33 PM
moon eyes guages are also auto meter and are made here in the USA!!! same price as all the rest and they look great.. we just bought all new ones and they're local here in Santa Fe Springs.

LVjetboy
05-23-2004, 11:25 PM
I like the Livorsi redline series. A bit expensive but that red led really gets your attention. They also come with red backlighting...cool looking at night. I did have a problem with their oil temp gage though...the needle fell off! They replaced it but who would've thought.
They also have an electric dampened water pressure gage. Works a lot better than the mechanical I had mounted on the intake.
jer

Rev. Williams
05-24-2004, 08:25 AM
I just built a whole new dash for my new 2 5/8 Autometers. Just be sure you buy the Autometer senders cause they don't come with the gauges.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1621Img_0333-med.jpg

vishus
05-24-2004, 09:25 AM
cool dash REV. how did you "build" it? can I get a closer picture?
thx.sid

shaun
05-24-2004, 10:32 AM
does autometer make a black face guage in there marine series? I didnt see any on rex marines site.

Rev. Williams
05-24-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by vishus
cool dash REV. how did you "build" it? can I get a closer picture?
thx.sid
I just started with a piece of cardboard to get the shape, then traced that onto a thin piece of aluminium. Once I had the shape right on the aluminium I cut that out with a jig-saw. I then drilled out the wider holes for the new gauges and put the new dash over the holes to transfer the hole diameter over.
I then worked on a pattern for the flames and marked the lines on the aluminium. Once all the marks were in place I had a machine shop stamp out the gauge holes and rough saw out the flames. It was then just a $hit load of work with a file and sandpaper to get it looking good. Once it was clean I had it powedercoated to match everything else.
I have a couple of work in progress pics I can put up tonight that should show it closer.

Wally_Gator
05-24-2004, 11:01 AM
What does anyone think about Hardin Marine Gauges?
I am thinking about buying a set of them and wondered if anyone had thought or opinions?

Lickety_Split
05-24-2004, 02:09 PM
I am with wally i liked the hardin marine stainless gauges. Opinions?

checkmate76
05-24-2004, 03:12 PM
If you read close the AutoMeter "marine" gauges are NOT water proof:confused: hardin marine and Livorsi (gaffrig) ARE water proof...so if your boat sinks they will still look good and work!!!:wink:
you can buy a "Set" of either at CpPerformance

Rexone
05-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Not to stir the shit but that is a totally false statement.
Neither of them are waterproof.
Livorsi's are private label Autometers, Datcons, etc and Hardins are made by Beede. Not a waterproof one in the bunch. Sorry to disappoint.

GottaJet
05-24-2004, 06:05 PM
I went with the autometer phantoms and some Rex bezels. They look and work great and the senders were included. just my.02

Cs19
05-24-2004, 07:59 PM
Ive got a brand new 2 5/8 elec oil press. guage for sale.
Its an autometer pro comp ultra lite, and ill take 20 bucks off of whatever new is. Have the sending unit, etc. Its a cheap way to start on a new set of guages. Pm me if interested.

LVjetboy
05-25-2004, 12:05 AM
In Livorsi Marine's catalog, they claim Gaffrig redlines are, "Completely water proof and have anti-fog lenses..." They also carry a complete line of "Water proof" electrics (not redline gages) in addition to the normal "Water resistant" but not "Water proof" gages most others offer.
Rex are you saying this is a false claim on their part?
jer

Rexone
05-25-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by LVjetboy
In Livorsi Marine's catalog, they claim Gaffrig redlines are, "Completely water proof and have anti-fog lenses..." They also carry a complete line of "Water proof" electrics (not redline gages) in addition to the normal "Water resistant" but not "Water proof" gages most others offer.
Rex are you saying this is a false claim on their part?
jer
Not at all Jer, only that the posters claim was false. Livorsi markets alot of other gauges besides Redline and other waterproof stuff he might have, made by AutoMeter, Datcon and others. Redlines I believe are made by Datcon along with other gauge lines, I think I saw some in a fish tank once at a trade show in the Datcon booth. The other Livorsi's (which are the majority of what he sells) and the Hardins (Beede) are not waterproof unless Hardin has something I haven't seen.
If you twist it the other direction the blanket statement above that Livorsi's ARE waterproof is much more misleading because he sells far more gauges that are not waterproof than are. And further, unless something's changed (which is possible) CP doesn't sell Livorsi's stuff (as long as we're examining inaccuracies). Last I checked they sold Gaffrig Performance stuff which are imported from the far east.
I apologize for my inaccurate statement jer and will attempt to accomodate all exceptions to the majority of cases that you might come up with in the future, in my comments. or perhaps I just won't comment, as I have plenty of work to do without having to worry about missing a footnote or exception while posting here on the forum.

checkmate76
05-25-2004, 09:52 AM
http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Gauges/gaffrig-kits.htm
It says here that gaffrig performance gauges are 100% waterproof.
How can they falsley advertise that?
for the $$$ they want for them they should be waterproof !!!:confused:

Rev. Williams
05-25-2004, 10:07 AM
I would think if your gauges/dash is underwater then you have much bigger problems then if your gauges are waterproof.....
You're only talking about $45 bucks a gauge X 5 maybe 6?? and a $75 tach..... Not really a huge loss if you ask me. :D :D
Just my $.02 :D

LVjetboy
05-25-2004, 11:01 AM
"I would think if your gauges are underwater then you have much bigger problems..."
No doubt. Front sealed "water resistant" most likely all we'd ever need. Except maybe Riverdog. :eek:
Rex, we're still friends right? :)
jer

Rexone
05-25-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by checkmate76
http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Gauges/gaffrig-kits.htm
It says here that gaffrig performance gauges are 100% waterproof.
How can they falsley advertise that?
for the $$$ they want for them they should be waterproof !!!:confused:
Although news to me maybe the mfg of those is claiming waterproof. If I'm not mistaken those are imported from taiwan. And those are Gaffrig Performance, not Livorsi. Different company, different gauges. Notice I said different, not worse, bad or anything else negative about them.
As said above if your boat is submerged, gauges will be the least of your list of problems. If I were choosing gauges for my own boat they would be what I thought were the best gauges both functionally and cosmetically. Being waterproof would be down the list of importance. That's just me. I don't plan on running my boat upside down and would not buy gauges based on the likelihood of it occurring.

checkmate76
05-25-2004, 03:00 PM
The part about the boat sinking and the gauges still working was a joke...get it?:D
Just being in a moist environment could possibly cause the best built and most accurate gauges to fail. thats all I was getting at.
I just don't like their "claim" of 100% waterproof...although that would be more rea$$uring.
I would like to know if their claims are verified or just a sales pitch...
anybody know? please respond.

Rollie66
05-26-2004, 08:17 AM
Hey does anyone know the difference between the acu-comp guages at rex-marine and the pro-comp marine gauges. I know the acu-comp are rex's private label brand. Are they water resistant like the autometer pro-comp marine's. Or are they more similiar to the autometer non-marine gauges. I realoze they are all made by autometer.