PDA

View Full Version : pump intake

shaun
05-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Today i was pulling out everything pretty much on the inside of the boat so when todd has some time he can do all the glass work and i noticed that behind the pump intake (right terminology?) that i needed some work done under there. We'll i pulled off all the nuts and pushed out all the bolts but that thing is on there and aint comming off. What can i do to get it out? It looks like somebody might have glassed around it once and maybe that might be part of the problem.
On another note, when putting this thing back in how much of a problem is it going to be to get it to seal?

UBFJ #454
05-24-2004, 05:39 AM
It sounds like the pump intake is glassed into the hull as it should be.

Nucking futs
05-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Does it have putty or glass?ive never seen a intake glassed in before but the putty is real strong.Your going to have to chip out the putty and work it ever so gently to get it out.To reseal it your going to need to get the right angles and placement on the intake.On the corners of the intake there are threaded hole to adjust all of that.The surface will have to be ground flat and straight and then leave yourself some room and put some masking tape around the edges of the intake about 1/2-1 inch for the putty and it makes it alittle cleaner looking as well.

shaun
05-24-2004, 10:16 AM
hmm, i dont remeber seeing any holes on the corners except for the ones that i pulled the nuts off of. There is not glass ontop of the intake but i think who ever did glass work last time glassed right up next to it.
Putting this thing back in sounds like a pain in the ass and somthing that has to be precise. I figured it would just sit right back where it was before and i would just seal it with silicone. Shit, seams like everything else was siliconed :)

Nucking futs
05-24-2004, 11:54 AM
No dont use silicone there.it will not seal.use some sea going putty and the holes im talking about are the intake mounting hole in the four corners,they should be tapped and that is how you set the angles right.If your not certian on how to do this take it to a pro or again pm me and i will help you out.Also i saw some 990 heads for sale on ebay,not knowing how nuch you want to spent but also pm flat broke he had some for sale a while back over on cccb site.

moneysucker
05-24-2004, 10:25 PM
Why are you taking out the intake? if it is to re seal it stop taking it out and re seal it. if it is to re set it. Take it to tom papp racing in norco. intake angle is a very important part for a jet and this can slow a boat down or affect the ride and handling if not installed correctly. Marine Tex is what to use to re seal the intake to the hull.

shaun
05-25-2004, 12:03 AM
moneysucker: I'm going to have glass work done while everything is out and in the back under the intake it looks like it needs to be done as well. This hole thing sounds pretty complicated, maybe i should just leave it in.

BrendellaJet
05-25-2004, 08:53 AM
Shaun, Does it leak? If not, dont pull it out, unless you want to do a setback... Bring it to Jack at MPD. If you dont already have a shoe/rideplate, now is the time to have it done. The intake will come out, but it wants to stay in there. I got mine out in about 15 minutes.
I took a piece of 4x6 and layed it across the stringers. Then, I took another piece of 4x6 and wedged it between the truss in my garage and the piece laying across the stringers. (this will keep the boat on the trailer. Next, I put my hydraulic jack on the intake from the bottom and began to lift. Once I had some good pressure on it, I let it stay there for about 10 minutes. came back and put a couple more pumps on the jack. It started to creak like nothing ive ever heard. Someone told me it would do that, so I kept going. A little more and it was done. Just keep an eye on the bottom of the boat to make sure your not stressing it too much. Some people say to try heat also, but I didn't have any luck with that...

shaun
05-25-2004, 09:39 AM
BrendellaJet: i was wondering about that, if i pull the intake should i put a shoe and ride plate on it? Does putting a shoe and ride plate on the boat require the intake to be removed? As far as i know the intake doesnt leak, boat hasnt seen water in about 8 years.

BrendellaJet
05-25-2004, 09:58 AM
To be honest...I dont know. The intake needs to be machined, so im guessing you would have to do a lot of work if it was still in the boat to put a shoe on it. It could be done, but it'll turn out better if it was out. Give Jack at MPD a call and pick his brain. Hes a good guy to talk with and is local to you. He will set you straight. If you dont plan on going fast, Id say skip it and just move on with the re assembly. If you have goals of 80 or higher, I would say that you need to have the work done. It would be a shame though to put it all back together only to find out your intake leaks. Also, if you want to do it yourself, (removal and reinstall) Ive done it and can give you some pointers and pics to help out...Its not hard, you just need to take your time and work quickly.

shaun
05-25-2004, 11:16 AM
Gave jack a call, the ride plate/shoe kit isnt too bad price wise but the labor to remove and install everything is a decient amount. He basically told me that it helps some up to 80 but they are most valuable over 80.
ATM i'm wondering if i should just hold off on the shoe/ride plate.