PDA

View Full Version : Question

Drakar
05-24-2004, 11:42 AM
Hello all
I rebuild my SBC (355) and upgraded the following components:
Lightening Headers and Straight exhaust (had factory exhaust system thru prop)
Pro Magnum Rocker Arms (1.6 ratio) (had factory rockers)
Water Crossover with bypass/t-Stat
Superchiller for B&M 144 Blower
MSD Marine Distributor
MSD 6M2 Ignition
MSD Soft Touch Rev Control,
MSD Blaster Coil
MSD Wires
We modified the distributor to: "1 light silver" and "1 light blue" springs and bushing to "silver". I believe this represents 25 degrees of advance all in by 3300 RPM. Please let me know your thoughts on timing...any info would be helpful (I'm still learning...)
After a few cranks (getting fuel to the carb), it fired right up and idled. We set the timing to 6 degrees initial advance at 725RPM. Increasing the RPM to 2300 and letting it set for about 25-35 secs...the engine would just shut off (like it ran out of fuel). I would crank it for a few secs and it would fire right up and idle. I'm thinking it may be the fuel pump. I have been using a high output mechanical pump (110GPH) for the past three years....I'm thinking it may not be flowing enough fuel to the carb bowls. (maybe at high RPMs, it depletes the bowls and the pump can not refill them quick enough).
I checked to make sure the fuel lines were not pinched and removed the fuel filter (in case, it was clogged) and the issue still exists.
Or maybe the issue is with the new ignition system?
Look forward to your replies
Thanks!

HP350SC
05-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Both 144 350's we built ran best with the black bushing. 10 deg. initial, all in at 2500 and 30-31 total on 92 octane. What's your static comp. ratio and how much boost?
Check your float levels first. You really should have a dash mounted fuel pressure gauge to monitor wide open pressure, as well as help with your diagnosis now. If it stumbles and dies it likely is fuel prob. If it just shuts off quick, check electrical. Put an in-line spark tester in coil wire, see if you're losing spark. Also you can put a test light on coil+ and see if you're losing power when it dies. It's late, I'm tired, maybe some other peeps will chime in too........

Drakar
05-27-2004, 10:12 AM
HP350SC: The crank to blower pulley ratio is 2.10:1...believe the boost will be around 6. I will have to try that iginition setting.
I purchased an inline fuel pressure gauge and was able to determine the issue is the fuel pump. At idle, it was at 2 psi....2,300RPM it dropped to 1 psi...and then to 0 psi. Ordered a new one that will be delivered tomorrow. Finally, I can take the new combination out on the water for some testing :)
Want to thank the following (HPjunkie, HP350SC and Infomaniac) who helped me back in March! Really appreciate your valuable replies. Infomaniac, the "Trident Boats Engine" is a great thread, thanks!

Drakar
05-27-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm in the process of upgrading the Carb. Jets (750 Holley). Currently, the primaries are set at 70 and the secondaries are 78. I'm going to change them to 72 and 80... Any thoughts what might be a good combination?