PDA

View Full Version : Plans for the Channel Memorial day

FastTimmy
05-24-2004, 03:08 PM
I have posted this in the sandbar and in hot spots west. I am not sure if this has been covered but here it is.
This is straight from the horseÂ’s mouth or at least a city council womanÂ’s mouth to my ears this past weekend.
The city council has now given the sheriffs department power to close the channel if CO2 levels get to high. A system has been put into place to monitor and display the current level of CO2 in the channel using DEFCON type levels. I was not clear on the colors or how many there will be but I can be sure of this. The sheriff now has the power to close and clear the channel if the CO2 levels in the channel reach what the council says is unacceptable.
The council woman said they heard all of our pitches for one-way traffic, limiting parking, closing some beach, banning personal water craft ect. She went on to say that this seems to be the best way to make it safe for now. If you ask me it just empowered the sheriff to close AND clear the channel of desired. I was left with the impression that there is also no back up policy or agency to confirm that the channel is actually dangerous at the time they close it. So I guess we can all just hope it does not get closed due to over crowding and covered up under the cloke of CO2 levels.
Timmy

summerlove
05-24-2004, 03:43 PM
and when people start dying in Steamboat Cove of CO will they close that too??? Because that's where everyone will go wioth little or no LE to keep/maintain a sense of control....

HCS
05-24-2004, 03:44 PM
They might as well just make it for blow up rafts and canoes.
On most, if not all lakes up north in Crowdifornia, there are limits on how many boats are allowed on the lakes. Not due to CO2,
it's just a safety issue.

dimarcobros
05-24-2004, 03:46 PM
One of the reasons I don't go on big weekends. Seems like they close every place possible to go to so everyone if driving around getting beat up from the chop. Not too mention all the idiots that are drinking and driving, makes me too nervous.
DMB

Ivan Dan
05-24-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by FastTimmy
I have posted this in the sandbar and in hot spots west. I am not sure if this has been covered but here it is.
This is straight from the horseÂ’s mouth or at least a city council womanÂ’s mouth to my ears this past weekend.
The city council has now given the sheriffs department power to close the channel if CO2 levels get to high. A system has been put into place to monitor and display the current level of CO2 in the channel using DEFCON type levels. I was not clear on the colors or how many there will be but I can be sure of this. The sheriff now has the power to close and clear the channel if the CO2 levels in the channel reach what the council says is unacceptable.
The council woman said they heard all of our pitches for one-way traffic, limiting parking, closing some beach, banning personal water craft ect. She went on to say that this seems to be the best way to make it safe for now. If you ask me it just empowered the sheriff to close AND clear the channel of desired. I was left with the impression that there is also no back up policy or agency to confirm that the channel is actually dangerous at the time they close it. So I guess we can all just hope it does not get closed due to over crowding and covered up under the cloke of CO2 levels.
Timmy
Hey Timmy......just an FYI...its CO not CO2.....CO2 = Carbon Dioxide, CO = Carbon Monoxide LOLOL Ha Ha I knew what you meant though.

FRANK THE TANK
05-24-2004, 04:35 PM
Does anyone know where they are going to post these meters? Are they going to be in public view?

Salty Cracker
05-24-2004, 04:39 PM
I hope they keep the channel open, less people that would want to go to other parts of the lake!! :D

CA Stu
05-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Ivan Dan
Hey Timmy......just an FYI...its CO not CO2.....CO2 = Carbon Dioxide, CO = Carbon Monoxide LOLOL Ha Ha I knew what you meant though.
No, he means CO2.
If the channel gets too fizzy, no more boats :D
I am going to be cruising that channel on Friday, pounding O'Douls or some such non alcoholic beverage. :cool:
Maximum enforcement = not worth it! I'll wait until the boat's in the slip, then I shall unleash a deluge of refreshment upon my liver!!
Maybe I should put a CO2 meter on my liver...
Thanks
CA Stu

FRENCHIE
05-24-2004, 04:55 PM
might as well close the lake..co2 everywhere!:mad:

Phat Matt
05-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by CA Stu
No, he means CO2.
If the channel gets too fizzy, no more boats :D
I am going to be cruising that channel on Friday, pounding O'Douls or some such non alcoholic beverage. :cool:
Maximum enforcement = not worth it! I'll wait until the boat's in the slip, then I shall unleash a deluge of refreshment upon my liver!!
Maybe I should put a CO2 meter on my liver...
Thanks
CA Stu
No, he means CO. You drink CO2 when you have something carbonated. I don't think CO2 is fatal! :D

Tom Slick
05-24-2004, 06:27 PM
At least the weather for the weekend reports that there will be a breeze. This may help to blow some of that dirty air out.

THATJEFFGUY
05-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be a little smarter to just open up the SandBar again on the holiday weekends so everyone is not congregated in ONE place, making the channel overcrowded, and the CO levels rise ? Seems as if there were a couple places to hang out..the crowd would be distributed a little better..just my $.02.

shueman
05-24-2004, 06:33 PM
They have the ordinances in place to shut down the channel, CO or not. My guess is 2pm, Saturday and noon on Sunday.

Scream
05-24-2004, 06:33 PM
It's been many years since I've been to that part of the river on a holiday weekend, do they actually shut down the sandbar completely or do they just patrol the hell out of it and limit access to it like copper canyon???

Ivan Dan
05-24-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by THATJEFFGUY
Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be a little smarter to just open up the SandBar again on the holiday weekends so everyone is not congregated in ONE place, making the channel overcrowded, and the CO levels rise ? Seems as if there were a couple places to hang out..the crowd would be distributed a little better..just my $.02.
I agree 100% with you I think this is a great idea. Maybe add a few extra LEO to patrol the Sandbar area to help prevent incidents like have happened in the past. I think this is the best solution I have heard to date.

Debbolas
05-24-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Phat Matt
No, he means CO. You drink CO2 when you have something carbonated. I don't think CO2 is fatal! :D
CO 2 for all my friends!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Dr. Eagle
05-24-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
CO 2 for all my friends!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
More CO2 in fact make mine CO22...

Debbolas
05-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
More CO2 in fact make mine CO22...
http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/pirategun.gif http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/ar.gif :D http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/lsvader.gif

Dr. Eagle
05-24-2004, 07:46 PM
http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/pirategun.gif http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/ar.gif :D http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/lsvader.gif

Debbolas
05-24-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/pirategun.gif http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/ar.gif :D http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/lsvader.gif http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/pirategun.gif http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/ar.gif :D http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/lsvader.gif

Toomstone
05-24-2004, 07:58 PM
a few weeks back near the end of april, i was there and about every boat on the lake was in the channel because of that nasty havastorm.four and five foot waves out on the lake. if the levels are too high would they force people out of the channel into that?

Dr. Eagle
05-24-2004, 07:59 PM
Come on down to the Channel for a Carbon http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/pirategun.gif http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/ar.gif :D http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/lsvader.gifMonoxide High.....

Ziggy
05-24-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Toomstone
a few weeks back near the end of april, i was there and about every boat on the lake was in the channel because of that nasty havastorm.four and five foot waves out on the lake. if the levels are too high would they force people out of the channel into that?
Well, that kinda wind would take care of any CO(2) floating around..
DEB, DR.---knock that off!!!:p :D :D

Phat Matt
05-24-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Well, that kinda wind would take care of any CO(2) floating around..
DEB, DR.---knock that off!!!:p :D :D
Yeah, I think the 40 mph winds cleared everything out! I think then you needed to worry more about inhaling all that sand. :yuk:

Hal
05-24-2004, 09:03 PM
If you have read the "why do I have to leave" thread. This is probably just the first step in a quick and easy way that they can rid the channel of derelicts without running into to some legalities. The only problem is that no one will be able to use it. Which is sad. It probably won't be long before the city has new rules and regs to control the channel with extra police to enforce the laws.

jbtrailerjim
05-24-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by THATJEFFGUY
I wish they would keep the sandbar open on the holiday weekends. If they did I probably would have continued going on the big holiday's. I think it's the lack of LE on the water is why they close the sand bar down. When they close down the sand bar and copper canyon, it just does not leave enough places for people to hang out and park. They all end up going to the channel & steam boat.

DryHeatOnly
05-24-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Scream
It's been many years since I've been to that part of the river on a holiday weekend, do they actually shut down the sandbar completely or do they just patrol the hell out of it and limit access to it like copper canyon???
They shut it down with a few buoy's and a sherrif's boat or two. No stopping allowed. :( :( :(

Laveyman
05-25-2004, 04:39 AM
Easy solution;
Find out where the CO sensors are located and l=place a big ol' bottle of oxygen right nest to the sensor. VOila! Clean air all day long in the channel.

FastTimmy
05-25-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Toomstone
This is why they shut down the idea of one way traffic thrue the channel. They felt it was unsafe to force people out on to the lake.

Scream
05-25-2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by DryHeatOnly
They shut it down with a few buoy's and a sherrif's boat or two. No stopping allowed. :( :( :(
Thanks, I seem to remember something like that. Like I said, it's been a long time since I've been to Havasu on a holiday weekend.
Too bad, they don't just patrol it heavily on the big weekends and give us another option. If plenty of LE are there to monitor, then who's gonna stop there? Those family folks, that's who...lol

Debbolas
05-25-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Laveyman
Easy solution;
Find out where the CO sensors are located and l=place a big ol' bottle of oxygen right nest to the sensor. VOila! Clean air all day long in the channel.
Oh, I have an idea....get those big fans (from Palm Springs) we can blow the co2 out into the desert.....:D ....away from the channel...............:D

Havasu_Dreamin
05-25-2004, 07:58 AM
Steamboat has a buoy line down the center of it that creates a lane of traffic for this next weekend, it was already up last weekend. This lane, according to the BLM Ranger that came by, is the lane to be used only while motoring into or out of the cove. The ranger explained the main reason for it is that they have two helipads up on the mesa above Steamboat that they can use if they need to air-evac someone out to a hospital.
Also, in talking with the Ranger about the day use fees, he indicated that simply anchoring off of shore will not exclude you from paying the day use fee. Apparently the rule/law, not sure which, is that if you are on shore or anchored within 100 feet of shore they can collect the fee from you. This is what was explained to us last Friday. They will walk the shore and collect the $10 day use fee. The $10 is per site. Not sure how many sites there are at Steamboat. I really don't see them motoring over to each boat that is anchored within 100 feet of shore and asking for the fee though.
The patrols will be out in force this weekend. Be safe. I'll be home avoiding all of the craziness.

Ducatista
05-25-2004, 08:15 AM
I have liked that buoy line for traffic, LE, and emergency personal that they have been putting in at Steamboat for the last couple of years, durning the big holiday weekends. With the LE presence that it provides, Steamboat has been a pretty good party, and pretty much under control from what we have seen, when we have been there. But if they shut down the channel..........God help us!:rolleyes:

Laveyman
05-25-2004, 09:43 AM
Oh, I have an idea....get those big fans (from Palm Springs) we can blow the co2 out into the desert.....:D ....away from the channel...............:D
The only problem with this idea...The same brain-cell challenged morons who suck up so much CO will end up getting hit in the melon by one of those huge blades! It's much less messy to just have them slip quietly under the water where no one will miss them for at least a few hours. :D Either way, they're removed from the gene pool.

FastTimmy
05-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Natural selection!
Stupid people die!!

Havasu_Dreamin
05-25-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by HUFFPOWER
be carefull what you write on this subject, remember there is a newbie on the boards who writes for the havasu newspaper and is on the city council, don't think he isn't reading this and reporting back, especially stuff pretaining to lake havasu marina, just beware.:yuk:
Who writes for the newspaper? I know Havasuvian is the PIO for the city but was not aware of someone on the city council AND a reporter being on here.

Debbolas
05-25-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Laveyman
The only problem with this idea...The same brain-cell challenged morons who suck up so much CO will end up getting hit in the melon by one of those huge blades! It's much less messy to just have them slip quietly under the water where no one will miss them for at least a few hours. :D Either way, they're removed from the gene pool.
LMAO!!!!:D :eek: :D
You are so right, I didn't think of that....can we use this to our advantage some how? Do PWC's put out more CO than boats perhaps?
Debbolas <-----------looking for the bright side;)

Boatcop
05-25-2004, 04:38 PM
Do PWC's put out more CO than boats perhaps?
The more fuel burned, the more CO is produced.
2 Strokes may belch unburned fuel and oil in the form of "smoke", but big block inboards are by far the biggest source of CO.

haulina29
05-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Who buys the boats for LE agencies in ca and az they always appear to be turds very in efficent under powered , they look more like snow plows when running or they hop like rabbits at speed , what gives ? When ever i see one I think the tax payers got screwed again . Our men in blue need to make a run to Lotto or the Keys and see what the big boys use ;)

Boatcop
05-25-2004, 08:10 PM
We are pretty much at the mercy of Low Bid.
If we wanted to write specs for a 125 MPH boat we probably could, but the "taxpayers" you're so fond of would scream about the cost.
Case in point. Buckskin Fire Dept bought a tricked out Conquest, with all the bells and whistles, HP engine, 100 MPH+, and wasted about $125,000.
I say wasted, because it's now getting re-engined with an industrial type plant, rather than the the HP that blew up. Not too many hours on it either.
What are they using now? The La Paz County Sheriff's Dive boat. A 1991 aluminum hull Jet Craft with 350ci, and about 3,000 hours. 45 MPH tops. We paid $19,000 for it in '91.
Bet the taxpayers of the Parker Strip and Arizona who bought the Conquest White Elephant are glad that their tax dolars and Grant money went to such a useful and efficient vessel.
We have to buy boats for practicality and durability, hence the Boston Whaler outboards and Aluma Craft or Jet Craft Jet boats. These boats have to go to a variety of places, and we have to do our best for a one size fits all vessel.
We're running 1994 and 1997 Whalers. They will probably be the last boats we have to buy. At least for another 15 years. We have gone through a couple of outboard engines, but when you put more hours on them in a single season than most people here put on in a lifetime, you can expect to replace them every 5 years or so. The Mercury Offshore 225s we put on in '97 had over 4,000 hours when they were replaced last year.
I'd rather take the 19' Whaler across Lake Havasu in 4-5 foot wind chop than any boat anyone else on here owns.
The SeaDoo Challenger 20's we run on the lower River have also worked out superbly, as long as we use them for their intended purpose. Shallow, fairly calm water.
As far as ineffeciency is concerned, all our boats are running Mercury Optimax engines, probably the most efficient 2 stroke powerplant built today. When it's time to replace these, I'll be looking at Mercury's new 4 strokes, as long as they'll be able to keep the weight to power ratio reasonable.
Speed? Don't need it. Nothing on the water is faster than a Motorola.

Tyson Ross
05-25-2004, 08:18 PM
Buckskin sure looks good though... (the 2 days a yr they're on the H20) :D :D

Mandelon
05-25-2004, 08:29 PM
Speed? Don't need it. Nothing on the water is faster than a Motorola.
Ain't that the truth......not a lot of places to hide for very long, either.

moneypit
05-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Maybe if they closed to channel less people would show up to Havasu on the weekends and I wouldnt have to worry about Lake Lice that tries to run me over, or an F'n frisbee wont hit me in the bean cicle.
People go down there to just park their boat for most of the day. The other part of the day they drive their boat against traffic and haul ass in the no wake zone. Dont get me wrong.. its great to party down there. I have been going to Havasu religously with my family for 35 years. Its outa hand now. I would just hate to see what it will be like in another 10 years.
Ya people may just go to a different area of the lake where the waters deeper and it will take much longer for the bodies to come back to the surface, but hell its just a thought. Maybe they should ban boat renting on big weekends that will get rid of about 50 boats.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-26-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Boatcop
Case in point. Buckskin Fire Dept bought a tricked out Conquest, with all the bells and whistles, HP engine, 100 MPH+, and wasted about $125,000.
I say wasted, because it's now getting re-engined with an industrial type plant, rather than the the HP that blew up. Not too many hours on it either.
San Bernadino County Sheriff has an Advantage that was custom built for them I think.

HM
05-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by moneypit
bean cicle.
That's funny and I don't even know what that means!

Boatcop
05-26-2004, 03:57 PM
San Bernadino County Sheriff has an Advantage that was custom built for them I think.
Actually they bought a couple of them.
They spend more time in the shop than on the water.
But I do have some good news.......
I just saved a bunch of money by switching my......
Nah. Not that. Buckskin got their boat back today, so we can have our Dive Boat back, in case we need it.

77charger
05-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
We are pretty much at the mercy of Low Bid.
We have to buy boats for practicality and durability, hence the Boston Whaler outboards and Aluma Craft or Jet Craft Jet boats. These boats have to go to a variety of places, and we have to do our best for a one size fits all vessel.
We're running 1994 and 1997 Whalers. They will probably be the last boats we have to buy. At least for another 15 years. We have gone through a couple of outboard engines, but when you put more hours on them in a single season than most people here put on in a lifetime, you can expect to replace them every 5 years or so. The Mercury Offshore 225s we put on in '97 had over 4,000 hours when they were replaced last year.
. I got a ride in one of them whalers with the optimax engine it rides really nice!!:D