PDA

View Full Version : Alt gauge help please

Danhercules
05-24-2004, 07:59 PM
I have a Amp gauge in the boat now. I bought a Volt gauge. The wiring seems to be diffrent.
The Amp gauge has to big orange wires and one red one. The Volt gauge wants a sender and and pos and a ground. Help????

sidewound
05-24-2004, 08:27 PM
You'll have to rewire. The old guage is an entirely diff setup. Getting rid of it is a good deal. You don't need all that power running to the old guage. New guage is much safer.
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

PE 316
05-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Wiring the VOLTMETER is simple!!
All you need is/are two (2) wires...
1. Ground
2. "Switched" power
That is all... (unless you want the light bulb to work as well)
According to "Auto Meter":
1. Disconnect negative (-) battery cable
2. Using 18 guage wire, attach one end to the negative (-) terminal on the back of the gauge, and the opposite end to a good engine ground
3. Attach one length of wire to the positive (+) terminal on the back of the gauge and opposite end to 12V power source
4. Install light on back of gauge. Connect one wire to dash lighting circuit or other 12V power source and connect other wire to negative (-) ground
5. Reconnect negative (-) battery cable

Chris J
05-25-2004, 11:57 AM
You'll need to connect the two large orange wires togather. This would be an excellent time and place to install a 40 to 50amp fuse block available from Pep Boys or Checkers.
Amp meter: (FLOW) Wired in series with main power. All current except starter draw runs THROUGH the gauge.
Volt meter: (PRESSURE) wired in parallel with 12v loads. Only minimal current runs TO gauge.

MudPumper
05-25-2004, 12:32 PM
Dan, don't forget the most important aspect of working with electrical wires. Always, Always, stand in a puddle of water and lick your fingers before making any connections!!!!:D

Jetdriver
05-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by MudPumper
Dan, don't forget the most important aspect of working with electrical wires. Always, Always, stand in a puddle of water and lick your fingers before making any connections!!!!:D
You forgot naked! LOL

78Southwind
05-25-2004, 06:40 PM
I will come back to this later

Danhercules
05-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by MudPumper
Can I be drinking a beer? Or should I drink stright from the tap from the keg?

Danhercules
05-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
You forgot naked! LOL
Is there any other way?

victorfb
05-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Cmon you guys, you know darn well Dan is going to be in his front yard working on his boat (well sort of standing there looking at it) naked and drinking a beer (or three) making sure the ground is wet (not sure if it will be water) and licking his ------ fingers and touching the battery wires just to see what happens.
now do you really want this to happen? :p

Slider
05-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Remember Dan, Thumb up the ass so you dont shit yourself and a light bulb in your mouth to make sure its working!.

Mike G
05-27-2004, 07:17 PM
Just make sure that you don't let the smoke out of the wires. They never work once you do.
:D
-Mike

Hustler
05-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Hey Dan, ALL of these guys have great advise and I thik you follow them all and dont miss any steps:p :D