PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wheels

waterbum
02-16-2002, 07:36 AM
I'm looking for new wheels and tires for my trailer and have'nt been able to find anything to my liking at my local tire shop.Anyone have suggustions as to wheel manufactures web sites or good beefy tires.I'm looking for somthing a little different than the norm as far as wheels go.Thanx,Bum

carreraboat
02-16-2002, 12:03 PM
try tires.com
this discount tires site
i buy my wheels and tire from them all the time

JimK
02-16-2002, 12:03 PM
Goodyear makes a steel-belted radial that is specifically made for trailers called a Marathon. I believe it is the only radial tire that is trailer rated but I may be wrong. Anyway, the look pretty good and run very well. I've got six of them under my trailer and don't have the problems I had with bias-ply tires. FYI.

roln 20s
02-16-2002, 04:51 PM
Waterbum-
I am not sure what kind of wheels and tires you are looking for, or size, but superbuytires.com has just about every brand possible in wheels and tires, and make good packages. Their site is easy to navigate. I know that when I buy wheels for my trailer, I am going to get some stand out wheels with some relatively low pro tires- hopefully 17's. I don't know what look you are going for, but check it out- you can atleast find the wheels you want and go else where to buy them. Best of luck!
Roln20s

havasu boat builder
02-17-2002, 02:38 PM
try wheelsforless.com..........hbb

playdeep
02-17-2002, 03:36 PM
wb,Ive got a set of Boyds 16 by 7 in. on 225/55 michelins.They are 5 on 4 1/2 excellent condition.600.00 tires are virtually new.if interested you can call me @ 505 620-7622

waterbum
02-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Playdeep,would you be so kind as to e-mail me a picture of your wheels&tires.Thanks to everyone for the good info.

not guilty
02-19-2002, 06:10 AM
Bum, how heavy is your rig ? Dont make the mistake I made last year.Mine is 5600 lbs on the trailer, tandem axle. Got a good deal on some RWL auto tires and bought without checking the load rating. Stupid move , I only have to tow about 12 miles to river but if plan any getaways I'll have to buy different set or carry lotsa spares.
BTW -That race sucked!!!!!!!!!!!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/mad.gif NG

waterbum
02-19-2002, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the advice Not Guilty.I guess with all the twisting abuse trailer tires get,heavy sidewalls would be a must.I think i'm gonna go with Goodyear Marathons for tires.Now I need to find some rad wheels. P.S.(I think little E was carrying a trunk load of gremlins put there by the Ford drivers!!)Bum

B-rad502
02-19-2002, 08:50 PM
Ask your Discount Tire people about the "Carlisle" trailer tire. Same rating and quality as the Goodyear Marathon but, less expensive. They actually talked me out of the Marathon's and got me the Carlisle. They carried both in stock. I am definitely a true "Discount Tire" fan for trailer, truck, & car tires. They know their stuff http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

not guilty
02-22-2002, 06:12 AM
Gremlins ?? Damn , first DODGE returns but now AMC !!!!!!Lets go to thr rock.. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif NG

Slick
02-22-2002, 07:00 AM
B-rad,
I was definately going to plug Discount Tire. If you're buying wheels and tires there, THEY WILL DEAL.

Slick
03-04-2002, 08:22 AM
I went ahead and put a set of Carlisle tires on the trailer Sat. morning. At this point the boat is completely gutted so naturally it bounced a little on the way to Discount Tire. I couldn't believe the difference between the Carlisle Radial and the bias ply. The trailer pulled so much better. The other thing I like about the radials is Discount will warranty roadhazard and everything else. They will not do a roadhazard on bias ply. Out the door with tires, mounting, balancing, warranty was $350. I didn't think that was too bad.