PDA

View Full Version : Poket Bikes--Are they legal to ride?

hd&boatrider
05-25-2004, 09:47 AM
Without a license in CA? Does electric or gas powered make a difference? Does the CC's make it OK or not? What if you have a suspended lic in CA, can you still drive one?
Just wondering as my 19 year old son is going to go buy one and would like to know what the laws states.
Thanks

LHC30Victory
05-25-2004, 09:51 AM
They are classified as motor driven cycles and as such require not only a drivers license, but a motorcycle endorsement. The Pocked bikes (49cc) are NOT allowed on public highways and are subject to impound if driven on the streets. It sounds contradictory but that's the rule as it stands today.
Also, if a drivers license is suspended - the penalty still applies to that on this type of cycle.
My .02 = get a bicycle or bus pass!

Ms. AquaBoogie1
05-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Well I talked to a Sgt. from our local Police station yesterday about them and he said you have to be at least 16 yrs. old and with a permit. If you are driving it on private property then the laws are different.

Jordy
05-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Nothing is illegal if you don't get caught. :D

Ms. AquaBoogie1
05-25-2004, 09:57 AM
LOL.....true!!

LHC30Victory
05-25-2004, 09:59 AM
The 16 yr old and permit applies to electric and gas SCOOTERS not the pocket bikes. These scooters may be ridden by 16+ yr olds with a license and helmet on streets with speed limits no greater than 25mph except in class 1 bicycle lanes.
Semantics are a huge part of the vehicle code!

Gman
05-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Okay how much does one of these things cost?

Jordy
05-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by GGMMAANN
Okay how much does one of these things cost?
$300-$400 bucks. They're lots of fun too. :D

Gman
05-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Holy shit thats it? Damn I got to get one then. It will look sweet next to the harley. Where would one find this little bikes?

LHC30Victory
05-25-2004, 10:17 AM
RD what you have is a motorized bicycle - not a motor driven cycle. You are OK in a bike lane with that. The pocket bikes are different.

fourspeednup
05-25-2004, 11:09 AM
Yep, they're illegal on the street. One of Ventura's finest informed me yesterday after some biatch neighbor called 911 on my ass.
That may have been a little excessive:rolleyes:

ROZ
05-25-2004, 12:15 PM
That's weird... The local news was interviewing an officer about the bikes; He said that ou had to have a valid license , but they can be driven on streets posted 30mph or less...... By that I understood that they're for the neighborhood only...

RiverToysJas
05-25-2004, 12:20 PM
Even LE Officers seem to not know the laws in this area. Isn't there a Motor Officer on this board that know FOR SURE, what the law is? I say Motor Officer, because they usually work traffic and I should know the laws.
RTJas :D

LHC30Victory
05-25-2004, 12:32 PM
RTJ - Here I am - Traffic Supervisor
Any Questions?

RiverToysJas
05-25-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by LHC30Victory
RTJ - Here I am - Traffic Supervisor
Any Questions?
LOL! Actually, yes! Do you know where the confusion is coming from in regard to these things. Is there any law on the books that allows sub-50cc bikes to be ridden on neighborhood streets w/o needing to register them?
Thanks!!!

RacerX
05-25-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
Even LE Officers seem to not know the laws in this area. Isn't there a Motor Officer on this board that know FOR SURE, what the law is? I say Motor Officer, because they usually work traffic and I should know the laws.
Well, we are waiting for our City Attorney to do their homework but AS OF TODAY in San Diego, **we** are enforcing them as we would scooters. What that means to you is:
*You must be at least 16 to ride them
*You must wear a helmet
*You must be on a roadway with a posted speed limit of 25 MPH or less
*If there is a bike lane, you must be in it
*You may NOT ride on a sidewalk...
Disclaimers: Other cities may vary in thier enforcement. As RTJas said, it's mainly motor officers enforcing this stuff in our city but if you make an A$$ out of yourself, we're all obliged to push the envelope as far a legally possible

mirvin
05-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Ok. Sorry in advance.
I went to Castaic last Sunday. Launch ramp crowd was moderate to heavy and theres some idiot riding up and down and all around the friggin ramp on his little ass pocket piece o chit!!!
I had to laugh. At least the man jumped on him pretty quick and sent him packin.
mirvin;)

jackpunx
05-25-2004, 12:55 PM
I saw that guy.. I thought he could have found somewhere closer to home to ride that thing.. I almost backed right over him..

RiverToysJas
05-25-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by RacerX
Well, we are waiting for our City Attorney to do their homework but AS OF TODAY in San Diego, **we** are enforcing them as we would scooters. What that means to you is:
*You must wear a helmet
Disclaimers: Other cities may vary in thier enforcement. As RTHJ said, it's mainly motor officers enforcing this stuff in our city but if you make an A$$ out of yourself, we're all obliged to push the envelope as far a legally possible
That's the answer I've heard most often.
I agree, don't act stupid, and you're less likely to get into trouble. My Dad has a pocket bike now, and he says his silver hair keeps him out of trouble! LOL

mirvin
05-25-2004, 12:58 PM
Funny! Did you notice that it didn't have enough power to get up the ramp so he had to carry it up but he kept riding it back down???
Genius;)
mirvin

Lightning
05-25-2004, 02:16 PM
*You must wear a helmet
Disclaimers: Other cities may vary in thier enforcement. As RTJas said, it's mainly motor officers enforcing this stuff in our city but if you make an A$$ out of yourself, we're all obliged to push the envelope as far a legally possible
RacerX, Are you SDPD? If so, what division?

RUCAV
05-25-2004, 04:59 PM
Here is the scoop according to the DMV and CHP as of Yesterday. If you are cauught riding one, you must have a license as well as a motorcycle endorsement. If you have neither, you can be cited for unlicensed driver, which is a misdemeanor. You must also have insurance and registration. But check this out. It is the DMV's policy not to register anything under 50 cc's so your screwed. If you have a license but not a motorcycle endorsement, youll get cited for no endorsement. And for the electric ones, you need an M2 endorsement. If your license is suspended then you are screwed again. People seem to be getting more jail time for suspended license violations then felony drug convictions.
We didnt know anything about those things until recently. We got the email from the Orange County Sheriff's Department, legal bureau (or something like that) and they had contacted DMV and CHP and got them to issue an opinion the bikes. There apparently legislation in the works.
For all you traffic Nazi's, I didnt make this up, im only telling you what I read. Im sure it will help you on your way to the toaster or set of steak knives.

77charger
05-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by RUCAV
Here is the scoop according to the DMV and CHP as of Yesterday. If you are cauught riding one, you must have a license as well as a motorcycle endorsement. If you have neither, you can be cited for unlicensed driver, which is a misdemeanor. You must also have insurance and registration. But check this out. It is the DMV's policy not to register anything under 50 cc's so your screwed. If you have a license but not a motorcycle endorsement, youll get cited for no endorsement. And for the electric ones, you need an M2 endorsement. If your license is suspended then you are screwed again. People seem to be getting more jail time for suspended license violations then felony drug convictions.
We didnt know anything about those things until recently. We got the email from the Orange County Sheriff's Department, legal bureau (or something like that) and they had contacted DMV and CHP and got them to issue an opinion the bikes. There apparently legislation in the works.
For all you traffic Nazi's, I didnt make this up, im only telling you what I read. Im sure it will help you on your way to the toaster or set of steak knives. well i have an m1 license,isurance and a green sticker on my xr50 i gues si am legal

RiverToysJas
05-25-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by 77charger
well i have an m1 license,isurance and a green sticker on my xr50 i gues si am legal
I think you're right!

GlastronGuy
05-25-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
Ok. Sorry in advance.
I went to Castaic last Sunday. Launch ramp crowd was moderate to heavy and theres some idiot riding up and down and all around the friggin ramp on his little ass pocket piece o chit!!!
I had to laugh. At least the man jumped on him pretty quick and sent him packin.
mirvin;)
The adults riding them should have someone video tape them. If they saw how silly they looked they wouldn't ride them again.
:p

Kilrtoy
05-25-2004, 07:01 PM
The adults riding them should have someone video tape them. If they saw how silly they looked they wouldn't ride them again.
I dont think silly is the right word, JACKASS is better.
The Cali Leg on its friday afternoon session, Ok maybe friday morning, enacted the new law, ofcourse pressured by LE. You must have a Motorcycle license and insurance to operate one.
It is a 12500B violation which as already stated is a MISD. which means you can lose your license to drive a car. The impound fees will cost you a 1k to get the bike back and the court ticket for no insurance is about $536.
Stay off those stupid things and this includes all your kids. The chippies would love to nail you....:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ziggy
05-25-2004, 08:01 PM
*You must wear a helmet
This is what I've bben told by my local authorities as well.