PDA

View Full Version : Rogers Question.

Wally_Gator
05-25-2004, 11:44 AM
I have been lurking and learning on here for awhile.
I am wondering what kind of speed I can expect out of my
1971 Rogers Cyclone 18' 10" Berkeley JB pump with an AB impeller. Recently reworked by MPD.
I will be running an Rebuilt Olds 455 0.030 over with C heads
Edelbrock Performer heads and cam. All fed through a Holly 850
Double pumper.
I have been working on this prioject for awhile now and am so close I can taste it.
After rebuilding the motor, seats and pump, I tackled the gel coat.
It had a severely faded lime green metalflake.
I have recently finished the gel on the bottom of the boat and have just finished capping the rails and in the process of lineing the graphics for shooting gel this weekend.
Jack at MPD thinks high end may be around 70 or so. But he warns that I may have a problem with the pump sucking air. I have not invested in a intake loader.
I don't plan to do alot of fast runs, but it would be fun to be able to.
By experience, all of you Rogers owners, what do you think it will run?
Thank you
Wally_Gator (Walter)

Taylorman
05-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Cyclone had a Rogers with a 455 making about 450 hp and i think it ran about 70. Im sure he'll reply.

MudPumper
05-25-2004, 12:39 PM
If you plan on running over 65, which if the boat is capable you will be doing it, invest in the loader. The 200 bucks will save you alot down the road. If your pump sucks air at speed, you will get a cavitation which will cause cavitation burns on the impeller and it WILL come apart on you. I destroyed a brand new Aluminum impeller in about 3 hours without a loader. I got my Loader from Jack and its some of the best money I've ever spent.

Wally_Gator
05-25-2004, 01:15 PM
Thanks Mudpumper,
Jack was sure to give me scholarly advice as what to look and more importantly feel for. I am thinking in 2 weeks I will be out on smellsinore jetting the carb. All depends on my gas tanks and the weather. Since I am shooting the gel in my garage, I have to pray for good conditions to spray.

cyclone
05-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Taylorman
Cyclone had a Rogers with a 455 making about 450 hp and i think it ran about 70. Im sure he'll reply.
If the bottom of your boat is straight then you should be able to get 70 mph out of that hull once you've found the sweet spot with a Place Diverter. Although I never got around to installing a ride plate and shoe on my '71 Cyclone, I imagine both would probably help out alot.

roostwear
05-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by cyclone
If the bottom of your boat is straight then you should be able to get 70 mph out of that hull once you've found the sweet spot with a Place Diverter. Although I never got around to installing a ride plate and shoe on my '71 Cyclone, I imagine both would probably help out alot.
As long as it's not an open bow:D

Duke
05-25-2004, 02:10 PM
How should i go about putting on a pd on my berk E pump?
What i mean is, which one should i look for and what can i do to make one fit?

Bitz
05-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Not a problem as place makes a diverter just for the E- type pump. It is prettymuch a bolt in. The only thing to possibly consider is if you are ever thinking of changing to a two piece bowl to add things like a snoot or droop . If you think you may want that option you would look at at the standard diverter maybe with the low profile option to use the existing location for the forward reverse cable. You would then need to relocated the steering cable to the other side of the pump and fill in the hole.
you can take a look at www.placediverter.com

Duke
05-25-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Bitz
Not a problem as place makes a diverter just for the E- type pump. It is prettymuch a bolt in. The only thing to possibly consider is if you are ever thinking of changing to a two piece bowl to add things like a snoot or droop . If you think you may want that option you would look at at the standard diverter maybe with the low profile option to use the existing location for the forward reverse cable. You would then need to relocated the steering cable to the other side of the pump and fill in the hole.
thinking of the future and i like how my buddy's boat rides with his droop snoot. i'd like to know if i can use the standard diverter w/ the low profile option and my existing bowl or is that only if i change to the two peice bowl,( jg right?)

Bitz
05-26-2004, 07:07 AM
You should be fine other than moving the steering cable.
You can then change the bowl when you are ready. I am pretty sure the standard diverter will fit a one piece bowl but you may want to call plce to be 100% sure on that.

Wally_Gator
06-01-2004, 09:24 AM
Gel's almost done.
I have attached a pic of yesterdays spray.
Nevermind the dullness as this is fresh gel coat
and I am waiting on cure time to color sand and
polish.
One more session of spraying and it is color sanding time.

HotHallet
06-01-2004, 10:37 AM
That hull can run 70 no problem. Add a place diverter if you don't already have one and play with it. Mike-Although the Bonneville is bitchin' I still miss the Cyclone. That was one sweet boat with alot of history!

cyclone
06-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Bitz
i wouldnt recommend using a droop snoot on this type of hull. The Cyclone I owned didn't react well to a Place Diverter ride plate/droop snoot combination that i put on it. It made the hull handle poorly, unloaded the pump in all conditions and was just a mess.

roostwear
06-01-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Duke
How should i go about putting on a pd on my berk E pump?
What i mean is, which one should i look for and what can i do to make one fit?
I'm pretty sure you and I have the same hulls, although mine is a 1983, open bow with an E, and 1 piece bowl. I have a strong feeling Cyclone is right about the droop. I'm at 65mph, and it's loose. In talking to Jack and looking at the intake, it looks like the intake is unloading at speed, not because of the thrust angle, but because the rear of the intake is slightly above the keel (if that makes any sense). I could pull the housing and machine it for a shoe, but I'm going to try getting a loader from Jack to get more bite at speed.
The Place diverter made a WORLD of difference on mine. It gets on plane quicker, rides drier, and isn't as sluggish as before.