anything to help air out this pig . its like driving a friggin plow :p
it is a split bowl Berkeley 12Ja
Berkeley A imp.@ 4300rpm
yes its a piece of shit but its my piece of shit :D
C.T. :wink:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1127IMAG0020-med.JPG

sleekvino
05-25-2004, 02:10 PM
get to www.cpperformance.com they got a diverter cor 575.99.it comes with everthing you need.

jet4fun
05-25-2004, 03:06 PM
cp sucks

Cheap Thrills
05-25-2004, 04:46 PM
yes I know several places to buy new ones .
thanks for the link anyway.
does anyone know if you can stack the wedges ?
I was thinking that if I couldnt find a diverter at a good price I would get a few wedges and try it that way .
surely someone out there has a diverter they want to sell C'mon guys clean out those milk crates .
THX

Mr Twister
05-25-2004, 05:48 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself......at least you are on the water thats what its all about.

Cheap Thrills
05-31-2004, 03:41 PM
Bump :confused:

spectras only
05-31-2004, 03:49 PM
CT , you can try a 4 degree wedge first [cheaper] and go up to max 8 that would require to enlarge the bolt holes though.With 8 degrees up you'll require bennett tabs to keep the boat level at low-low speeds:p . Droop snoot [ not too cheap] will help but still ,the place diverter is the best solution.

Cheap Thrills
05-31-2004, 05:54 PM
Thanks Spectras ,
I suppose you've seen my other thread ?
while I'm waiting on the place diverter deal of the century I'm going over to my neighbors house who happens to have one heck of a machine shop set up and build a rooster booster type dealo . I'm just having trouble figuring out how much angle to put on it to start with . I dont want to go to shallow with the angle and end up with all that time and money invested in something I'll have to scrap and build another . Im thinking it would be easier to take some off than it would be to put more on . this boat is a heavy pig for being a 16 footer close to 900lb bare hull :eek:
Plus it has a 22 gal. fuel tank in the bow which doesn't help matters at all . I suppose I could remove the bow tank and get a set of saddle tanks but that would without a doubt be more time consuming and costly than the direction I'm going .
I'm all about the cheap thrills . not because I cant afford it , I could go out tomorrow and buy a new boat if I wanted to .
I enjoy the challenge of obtaining a cheap thrill . and the satisfaction of knowing I built this for damn near nothing.
anyhoo thanks for your input , it's always appreciated
dang ! long winded aren't I :D
peace .

Shark In The Pond
05-31-2004, 06:17 PM
Does the hull have hook in it ? If so take it out and throw a wedge in it and see what happens ? Best bang for the $$ IMO . I did mine and it freeeeeeeed it up and picked up 8 mph . Then I added hyd. diverter, great roost with the wedge still in it .

Cheap Thrills
05-31-2004, 07:09 PM
I haven't examined the hull off of the trailer but as far as I can tell with a good straight edge and a sober eyeball I didn't see any hook in it . that was the very first thing I looked for when I bought it.
How much wedge did you go with ?
as you can see in my sig thats about as aired out as she gets :rolleyes: I was running around 45 when that pic was taken and as far as I can tell from the drivers seat it doesn't get any better at faster speeds . although I'm not new to boating Ive had my share of wakas and I/Os but this is my first "real" jetboat project and I'm having a blast with it .
thanks for the input
Cheers

spectras only
05-31-2004, 07:27 PM
CT, looking at your sig, your boat runs extremely wet. Turning only 4300 with an A imp tells me you're either very low on power or you may have a larger impeller than you think you have.Having the gas tank up front doesn't help much either.

Cheap Thrills
05-31-2004, 09:19 PM
4300 is where I was riding with it that day. new engine on the first loaded run I didn't want to twist the ole cats tail too tightly in fear of doing any damage to my fresh bearings /pistons rings .
at 4300 I was upward of 50 mph according to a new teleflex 80 mph speedometer with plenty pedal to go not even in the back barrels on the carb (I know , I know if it isn't GPS yadda yadda yadda:D) J/K
I also did the work on the pump the impeller was stamped as an A cut with a new matched to the impeller shouldered wear ring .
I bought the whole rebuild kit for the pump
from Tom at Jet boat performance in CA. Great Guy to do business with.IMO
www.jetboatperformance.com
I set the impeller to wear ring clearance as tight as I could within the tolerances that Tom gave me .
( I don't remember off the top of my head the #s) the engine runs like I want it to. I don't want to turn it over 6000 and I'm sure it'll spin up to 5000 with the A imp. I just haven't twisted her tail that hard yet. :p
(I also have the B cut that was originally in it )
I mainly built it as a ski boat and something to run the shallow coves with .
I'm sure with a little tweaking and tuning I'll have her aired out and reaching it's maximum potential for what it is. after all she's only 37 years old , should be good for at least another 30 :D The Pump on it is probolly the same vintage Berkeley 12JA and it is a split bowl 8 vanes.
Ive come to a decision on the wedge thing I believe I'll turn one for 10 deg. and we'll see how she reacts to it this comming up weekend
Have a great day .TTYL
C.T.
* still waiting on the diverter sale of the century
:wink:

Shark In The Pond
06-01-2004, 04:23 AM
I belive it is a 8 degree wedge I have ?

Cheap Thrills
06-01-2004, 05:13 AM
now that I keep looking at that pic it looks like I'm comming out of it. The person that was taking the pic was suppose to get me as I got beside them . I was just doing a couple of short sprints just for the photos and wasnt going much past the point where they were, to turn arround and wiz by again . heck it may ride dryer that it looks in that pic but it's still riding to wet I believe . any hoo on with the program . I still plan on turning out a wedge this week anyway .
thanks again .

Cheap Thrills
06-03-2004, 09:10 AM
bump , again :D