PDA

View Full Version : Glucosamine & Chondroitin

Mandelon
05-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Two supplements called Glucosamine and chondroitin are supposed to help with joints, tendon and ligaments. They are promoted as promoting healthy joints.
Anybody take these? I take them a few days a week and they seem to help but I wondered if anybody else does and had noticed results??
I have bad knees and rotator cuff issues and they do seem to help. It sucks getting old.

Debbolas
05-25-2004, 04:57 PM
I have degenerative disk disease (my back is slowly falling apart) and I just had knee surgery for a torn menesces & cartilage...
I took Glucosamine & Chondroitin for awhile, but didn't see any noticeably improvement.
Getting old DOES suck!:rolleyes:

MagicMtnDan
05-25-2004, 04:58 PM
I've been using them all the time for a bad knee (have cartilage problem in my knee and don't want to get it scoped). I buy the stuff at Costco (they just came out with their own generic brand so it's even cheaper) and I take one pill each morning and night. They work well - you'll see once you stop using them :rolleyes:
It may take about a week or more to see the value but you should notice a difference. I highly recommend them.

ahhell
05-25-2004, 04:59 PM
I work with a lady that takes them and swears by them, ive tried them and they turned my stomach, and ive eatin' screams cookin' and that didnt even turn the tummy:D
seriously though, ive heard they do work...getting ready to try again for the knees:rolleyes:

LASERRAY
05-25-2004, 04:59 PM
Yes. I use "Move Free" by schiff. It most definatley helps. Especially the joints below the waist. Hips, knees, etc. Some relief in the shoulders as well.

Mandelon
05-25-2004, 05:02 PM
I take a couple capsules in the morning but I am not religious about it. I wonder if I should make it a point to be more dutiful?
My bottles are 500mg and 400mg and recommend one to three a day with meals. I guess if I eat breakfast I take them, and when I skip it I dont' take them....

Jordy
05-25-2004, 05:05 PM
I've been taking them for a couple months and could really take them or leave them. My arthritis really kicks up when it's cold and once it warms up, it all tends to go away. The timing pretty much coincides with the weather. Nice to be taking under 3500mg of Ibuprofin in the summer time versus the 5 or 6K in the winter just to stay mobile.
They won't hurt ya. Give 'em a shot. :D

Cheap Thrills
05-25-2004, 05:09 PM
Osteo-Bi-Flex is the shiz . works for me .
it's OTC Glucosamine Chondroitin combo .
C.T. :wink:

FRENCHIE
05-25-2004, 05:13 PM
big time...also with msm included!:D

CA Stu
05-25-2004, 05:24 PM
Good friend of mine played club level / semi-pro basketball for a number of years with no knee problems and finally managed to wear out his knees his knees racing GP dirtbikes in his mid 40's.
He takes that stuff religiously and swears by it.
I am fortunate to have had arthroscopic knee surgery at 20 (17 years ago) and no further probs.
MMD, get your knee fixed. It'll suck for 6 months but you'll be grateful thereafter. Trust me.
Good Luck, you decrepit, gimpy old geezers :D
CA Stu

Debbolas
05-25-2004, 05:28 PM
My knee is much better, I had surgery April 7th and it isn't really bothering me too much any more. Much less pain. I couldn't even get up. (dam I'm old)
:rolleyes:

LASERRAY
05-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by CA Stu
you decrepit, gimpy old geezers :D
CA Stu Yes it appears so, judging by the number of replys.:D

HM
05-25-2004, 05:30 PM
Consumer Reports did a big article on it and confirmed that they work real well, but need to be taken in large enough doses daily. Minimum of 1500 miligrams. I take 2000 miligrams/day(four big pills - 2 in the AM and 2 in the PM).
I have some arthritis in my hip from a hip dislocation, separated shoulder, torn MCL, torn LCL, several ankel sprains and a broken ankel, and some low back issues - all this happened after 30!! It takes a few weeks to notice as your system needs to load. A daily dose of ibuprofin in the beginning helps it to a quick start and reduces inflamed joints. After about a month, you will notice a HUGE difference. It will not be intantaneos - one day you will just notice that things don't hurt like they did, and you have a hard time remembering when it actually stopped.
Creams with Gluc & Condroit are antedotal at best - kinda feels
good for a few seconds, then gone.
I will see if I can dig up the CR article.

Jbb
05-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Joint Pain...hmmm My specialty....Glucosomine and Chondroitan are ok...takes a long time for it to work well..and it does in time ....Instead go to your doctor and get a prescription for Vioxx or Celebrex.....These work quickly and do a great job....!

Mandelon
05-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Aren't those just pain killers or pain blockers?

Jbb
05-25-2004, 06:08 PM
They are for the relief of arthritis pain and joint pain....and anti Inflammatory If you actually think you are gonna reline your joints with a pill....your dreaming ....

LASERRAY
05-25-2004, 06:14 PM
My orthopedic surgeon, the great Dr. Craig Zeiman put me on a daily dose of Naproxen, and a daily excercise regiment for my severly arthritic shoulder in lieu of a shoulder replacement. :( Old age BITES!!!

Flashwave
05-25-2004, 06:42 PM
You may want to try AminoSculpt Collagen (http://www.aspen-products.com/aminosculpt/AMINOSCULPT.html). I use it and it improved some of the joint pain. Takes about a month to start feeling the effects. Pretty much like the time it takes Glucosamine and chondroitin. You can pick it up at most any independent health food store. You can also find more information on how collagen effect joints at Gelita studies on collagen (http://www.aspen-products.com/collagenC/collagenC.html) .
Use whatever works for you and stick with it.

moneypit
05-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Glucoseamine and Chondroitan are short for "Glucose amino Glycan and Chondroitan Sulfate" These are types of proteins and are naturally produced in our body already. As we age, we produce less. Then we get degeneration in our joint cartilage. These two components act as the matrix for our cartilage. Once that is gone we are out of luck. They found that by ingesting these supplements you can replenish them to help slow down the process of degeneration. They help to lubricate the joints as well.
Ibuprofin, Vioxx, Celebrex.. all help promote degeneration of the cartilage. They Ibuprofin also ruins the lining of the stomach and affects the liver. Helps the pain but furthers the process. Kinda burns the candle at both ends. I would only recommend these products when you have acute pain or an "imflammatory arthritis" like Rheumatoid etc...
I recommend Glucoseamine and Chondroitan to my patients all the time. I also slap em' in the ass and tell them to get to the gym. You would be amazed how exercise helps lazy pain.

BonnevilleBaby
05-25-2004, 09:56 PM
i give it to my 12 year old black lab mix and i think it helps her but i don't take it myself. a lot of my patients use it also, most of them swear by it but once they have the surgery it no longer seems necessary unless they're only fixin one problem at a time.

spectratoad
05-26-2004, 06:02 AM
I just returned from Ft. Lewis, WA (Madigan Medical Center) after a week of a serious physical where they literally looked at me inside & out, top to bottom.
I have Degenerative Disc & Joint Disease. Basically severe arthritis all over so I am now being medically retired from the Army.
I spoke at length to the doctor in Rheumatology (Bones) and he said there is really nothing to stop the progression but highly recommended the Glucosamine w/ Chondroiton. A minimum dose he said really needed to be 1500mg/day.
these Army docs are always getting training and are pretty up on the latest so I do believe that what he was telling me was the latest he knew.
So Yes it is as good a treatment as there is now. :D

spectratoad
05-26-2004, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by moneypit
Ibuprofin, Vioxx, Celebrex.. all help promote degeneration of the cartilage. They Ibuprofin also ruins the lining of the stomach and affects the liver. Helps the pain but furthers the process. Kinda burns the candle at both ends. I would only recommend these products when you have acute pain or an "imflammatory arthritis" like Rheumatoid etc...
Are you sure about the Celebrex promoting the degeneration? I ask because that is what the VA prescribed to me and I always follow up on what they do.
If this is true then I will discontinue taking it.
Yes the gym does help. Every doctor I have spoken to says to do anything to maintain your flexibility. I can't lift that much but do cardio and some light lifting and yes it does help.

diggler
05-26-2004, 08:03 AM
I'm 33 and have had problems with my rotator cuffs since high school. Even today, I have an impinged cuff, and the other is very lightly "torn". However, I work out four days a week and can still bench about 410lbs. I'd never be able to do this without glucosamine sulfate. I started taking it over a year ago because I was constantly in pain in my shoulders. Now, I have no pain. Stuff is awesome

Lightning
05-26-2004, 08:09 AM
I have a friend who does Ironman competitions and he swears by that stuff. I personally do not need to take that stuff, and curse the day when I need to.

RandyH
05-26-2004, 08:36 AM
I wonder if Project Speed has read this post. Maybe it would help his joint pain. :D
RandyH

eliminatedsprinter
05-26-2004, 12:48 PM
As a result of traumtic injuries when I was in my twenties I've had both knees reconstructed (1981 and 85). As a therapist I've worked with hundreds of people with knee pain. Most of them have tried this at one time or another and some say it helps and others say it doesn't. Of course, none have been cured. I myself, have tried it and I really can't say if they helped me or not. What helps me the most is Bicycle riding and stretching....