PDA

View Full Version : Please help a noob!!!

JROCK
05-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Hi I was recently lucky enough to get my dads boat for a killer deal and would like some information in order to determine exactly what I have and what I should do to make it haul a$$!
Make: Eliminator 1989
model: ski /runabout 21ft
engine:455 olds
drvie: jet/ Berkeley with a jetovator
FIrst off how can I tell appx/ how many ponies this engine is producing? With three big ass hokey boys in the boat we cruise along at 62 mph (at least that is what the speedo says) in glass and with the jetovator planed out nicely. The only thing I know it has is a edlebrock intake and a single holly carb.
How can I tell what model Berkley jet I have?
How can I tell what type of impellor I have?
How can I tell if I really have a jetovator like my dad says or the newr type of divertor?
What is better a jetovator or divertor and why?
What should I do in order to maintain my boat properly besides oil changes and cleaning? Is there any typ of greasing or anything else I should be doing?
Also some of the seat tops (wood) are starting to rot out. Where could I get new seat tops? The upholstery looks great still its just the the underside looks all nasty and like it rotting away.

Danhercules
05-25-2004, 10:50 PM
Type of jet?
Look at in inside the boat. There is a plate stamped on it. Read it and tell us.
Impeller, look at the plate, it will say it. A, B, It will prob, be an "A".
To know for a fact, you have to take the imperller out and mesure it.
Jet-o-vader is a brand. You have a diverter. Many companys make diverters. Agressor, Place, ect.
To mantain a jet you need to greese the bearing, and add 90 wt to the bowl.
Seats get em redone. I just did mine.
Tips, NEVER EVER start a jet out of the water. Cover your jet intake when you travel down the road.

JROCK
05-25-2004, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the help
Where can I find the bearing and what is the bowl?
What should I cover the intake with, just like tape and a peice of cardboard or do they actually sell somethign for this?
I am not dumb just really ignorant so your help is greatly appreciated...
If there is a webstie with a FAQ or something that would be great but so far I havent found much on the web outside of this forum

Danhercules
05-25-2004, 11:11 PM
wow.........yes, yes and yes. I am typing as you read this

Danhercules
05-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by JROCK
Thanks for the help
Where can I find the bearing and what is the bowl?
What should I cover the intake with, just like tape and a peice of cardboard or do they actually sell somethign for this?
If there is a webstie with a FAQ or something that would be great but so far I havent found much on the web outside of this forum
What is the bowl?
See the orange part?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/467pump_old1.JPG
Thats the bowl. See the black plugs, remove both of them, and pump one of them with 90 wt. till it comes out the other hole. Thats part one.
If you look at the pump inside the hull behind the motor there is a zerk fitiing on top where the drive shaft is, pump that with greese.
that is you maintenace of your jet.
Cover you intake with duct tape or anything eles you can find. Rocks and sand and gravle will get in there towin down the road belive it or not. PM Nuckinfuts, he makes custom fiberglass covers that look like bottom of boats to cover the intake.
Excuse the type-0s, a bit buzzzzzzzzzed here.

JROCK
05-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the help and the patience I really appreciate it!!!!!!
More questions to follow I am sure.............

victorfb
05-25-2004, 11:51 PM
just a couple squirts on the zerk is all you need. dont over do it. it will be messy if you do.

BrendellaJet
05-26-2004, 06:46 AM
what I should do to make it haul a$$!
You'll likely want to ditch the olds if you want to go fast in a jet. Get a Chevy/Ford motor. Olds motors typically dont like to rev much more than 5k rpm. There are mods you can make to improve them(oiling sucks, needs parts/machining to correct) but after all the time and money involved with that, you would be ahead of the game if you put a 454 or something bigger in it. Lots of people have spare parts for the Chevy motors if you need it...

JROCK
05-26-2004, 06:53 AM
I have heard this before about the OLDS 455. The engine is running like a champ right now so maybe after this season I will pull her out and sell her and get a 454 or 502 or something. Who makes kick a$$ marine engines and what would a performance 454 run (ballpark of course) Seeing as how my pops sold this to me for 2 grand I dont mind putting in some more omney to have a kick a$$ reliable marine engine!!!

BrendellaJet
05-26-2004, 08:02 AM
well, since you are in So Cal, I'd check out DNE motorsports. They are in Costa Mesa, two doors down from MPD(pump work) If your gonna spend some coin for the motor, youll need the pump to back it up. Do a search for them on this site, you'll find their #. As far as $$$ goes, ive got about 2500 in my MPD pump. I dont have a final price on my motor yet, but it should be around 2k for the build plus retail for parts. If you are starting from scratch, it wont be cheap to get a nice motor. It all depends on how fast you want to go. There's a lot of guys around here with DNE motors now, from what i've heard, every one of them is an ass kicker...

Tom Foolery
05-26-2004, 09:25 AM
There is a manual for jet drives that you will find usefull. It goes into theory and has good walk throughs for Maintenance and complete rebuilds.
Link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0893300292/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-1355652-5017556#reader-page)

flathead
05-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by JROCK
I have heard this before about the OLDS 455. The engine is running like a champ right now so maybe after this season I will pull her out and sell her and get a 454 or 502 or something. Who makes kick a$$ marine engines and what would a performance 454 run (ballpark of course) Seeing as how my pops sold this to me for 2 grand I dont mind putting in some more omney to have a kick a$$ reliable marine engine!!!
Check out PETROFIED's thread. He builds CHEVY'S that haul !! He might be able to save ya some coin in the "off" season. If ya want ta see his work, come out to sand bar 3 out of Martinez (Yuma) Memorial. We will be on the south end. Several boats with his stuff will be there. Just look fer the RED PETROFIED boat. Can't miss it.

JROCK
05-26-2004, 01:12 PM
Cool man I actually plan to be out in Havasu this weekend so I will look for it THanks!

shaun
05-26-2004, 01:25 PM
JROCK: Congrats on getting the boat. looks like your not to far from me. If you plan on rebuilding your pump and need a impeller puller shoot me a pm. After buying these tools for my jet i'm dieing the use them as much as possible.
Danhercules: For the oil, if you where to pull to bowl off would the oil stay in the bowl or would it leak out? I'm assuming this oil is for the end of the impeller shaft. I didnt even know i needed to oil mine, my pump isnt back together so good think this post showed up.

Danhercules
05-26-2004, 02:28 PM
sean, see the little black plugs on my pump? you got em too, may not be black, but you have somthin, Take both of them out, and fill one with 90wt till it comes out the other hole. Your done, after you put the plugs back in.

shaun
05-26-2004, 02:44 PM
dan: right but what does that oil lubricate? I'm going to assume it's for the input shaft. Will the oil come out all over the place if i remove the bowl with out first emptying the oil, if so, mine must not have had any :)

Danhercules
05-26-2004, 03:18 PM
Sorry, I missed that. There is not way to drain it that I konw. And, yea, it lubes the shaft on that end.

JROCK
05-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Hi one last really ignorant question... is the 90wt oil just like standard engine oil at 90 wt or is it gear oil or something else>?

shaun
05-26-2004, 04:43 PM
JROCK sorry to hijack your thread.
Dan: If the oil lubes the shaft wouldnt the oil leak out when i pulled the bowl?

victorfb
05-26-2004, 04:54 PM
yes, the oil/gear lube will spill out some if it is full. the bearing will keep most of it in while you pull the bowl, but your going to get a mess no matter what since you have to tilt the bowl onto either end to set it down and inspect, clean, and/or repair it. unless of course you make a special mounting system on your bench top. :D
90wt gear oil is most common, but some people run motor oil and im sure other lubricants aswell. the main thing is that you keep it lubricated. i am an average yoho and also use 90wt valvaline or mobile 1 gear lube.

shaun
05-26-2004, 05:04 PM
That sucks, mines been sitting with the bowl flat on the ground for like a month or so with no leakage.. I wonder if my dad knew about that.

victorfb
05-26-2004, 07:36 PM
alot of the oil will stay in the bowl even when sitting flat as you described. i just meant that if the bowl was FULL you would get some leaking out. take the cover off the hand hole ontop and reach inside and see if you can move the shaft laterally (up-down side to side). if you dont feel any play im betting your fine. was the pump gone through before you re-installed it? or did you just bolt it back up? and how long did you run it without oil in the bowl?

Punkin
05-26-2004, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JROCK
[B]Thanks for the help
I'm new at this too. bought my boat last year took it out twice a nd the motor went but now i've got a fresh 468 chevy roller motor putting out around 500Hp. I'll be at martinez memorial. To answer your question depending on your scoop a large sponge works also.

shaun
05-26-2004, 10:29 PM
victorfb: the pump isnt back together yet. You can see pics of it if you click my project link in my sig. The bearing in the bowl is busted. I have the rebuild kit but havnt started putting it back together yet.

78Southwind
05-26-2004, 10:42 PM
Hey Shaun,
Checked out some of your boat pictures on your website. The hull looks like it is in good condition. What year is the boat and make. Looks like my Southwind.

78Southwind
05-26-2004, 10:47 PM
By the way thanks for the picture storage.

Wally_Gator
05-27-2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Shaun
victorfb: the pump isnt back together yet. You can see pics of it if you click my project link in my sig. The bearing in the bowl is busted. I have the rebuild kit but havnt started putting it back together yet.
Shaun,
I looked at your pics of the bowl. They look very similar to mine when I dissasembled my pump. It looks as though the seal has been damaged. In this case, ever since the seal has been damaged, the oil has been leaking out.
I had Jack at MPD rebuild my pump and I asked him if there would be any serious damage. He pointed out several things...
1. As long as the pump shaft is not pitted where it rides on the bowl bushing that will be ok.
2. Some pump manufacturers don't use oil, they rely on the water to lubricate the bushing. (not berkeley)
3. Some people try to add zerk fittings and use grease. Grease will never be able to get into the bushing once the pump is in operation.
4. You need to watch out for corrosion of the seal seat.
You should be fine. Look for any abnormal wear on the pump shaft and make sure the new bowl seal goes in snug. If you have more questions you may want to call Jack over at MPD http://home.pacbell.net/jmcclure/
Have fun with your project. I am just about finished with mine.
Wally_Gator (Walter)

shaun
05-27-2004, 07:26 AM
78Southwind: The boat is a AnthonyBT. From what i've been told it's a splash of a Southwind. It does look alot like them thats for sure. As for the picture section, it was more for peoples video's since HB didnt allow huge vids but it works just as good for pics. Not to many people use it anymore, but when they do, it's like christmas, i wake up and see a email saying somebody has uploaded somthing! :D
Wally_Gator: I sent my impeller and shaft to Duane at HTP. He re-indexed the impeller and the shaft was cleaned up. You can see pics of all the parts i got back at http://www.reitanfamily.com/gallery/PumpPartsReturned
I havnt put everything back together yet, i'm going to repaint the pump and transom adapter first. Also toddnjuz will be doing some glass work on my boat and he wants those parts off. I've been contemplating trying to find a split bowl.

Danhercules
05-27-2004, 07:27 AM
I am useing tape for now. Nucking Futs, i makes rc boat hulls, he is making me the bottom of one of the boats to use as a grate cover. PM him, they are pritty trick.

FOURQ
05-27-2004, 09:41 PM
i would like to watch him make one..lolNucking Futs, i makes rc boat hulls, he is making me the bottom of one of the boats to use as a grate cover. PM him, they are pritty trick.