PDA

View Full Version : Am the only one that...

BarryMac
05-26-2004, 07:28 AM
has a Jet Boat with a right side drive???
Just curious, is it a personal preference or is there a reason that most manufacturers put it on the left???
gjb...:D

HalletDave
05-26-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by gottajetboat
has a Jet Boat with a right side drive???
Just curious, is it a personal preference or is there a reason that most manufacturers put it on the left???
gjb...:D
The boat was originally sold in England.:rolleyes:
Just kidding.:D

drysumpjet
05-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Most jetboats have a foot spring return throttle whereas due to the "V" of the hull, the placement of a foot throttle would be unacceptably high if if the driver was on the right. Anotherwords, with left hand drive boats, the foot throttle is generallly placed towards the center/bottom of the "V" or as in a tunnel hull, away from the side of a sponson.
I'm guessing yours has or originally came with a hand throttle. My guess that most boats (not including jets) are right hand drive to make it easier to grap onto a dock on your right(as with most parallel docking situations) and/or maybe humans are more at ease with shifting with their right hand.
If your boat (or anybody's) has a boat with a hand throttle and since hand throttles are not spring return, please consider installing an engine cut-off lanyard if there is not one now.
Sorry for the safety lecture, but I know 2 fellow boaters who are now gone due to their being thrown out of a boat at high speed, whereas the boat continued to circle them, wide open, totally unmanned.

BarryMac
05-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by drysumpjet
Most jetboats have a foot spring return throttle whereas due to the "V" of the hull, the placement of a foot throttle would be unacceptably high if if the driver was on the right. Anotherwords, with left hand drive boats, the foot throttle is generallly placed towards the center/bottom of the "V" or as in a tunnel hull, away from the side of a sponson.
I'm guessing yours has or originally came with a hand throttle. My guess that most boats (not including jets) are right hand drive to make it easier to grap onto a dock on your right(as with most parallel docking situations) and/or maybe humans are more at ease with shifting with their right hand.
If your boat (or anybody's) has a boat with a hand throttle and since hand throttles are not spring return, please consider installing an engine cut-off lanyard if there is not one now.
Sorry for the safety lecture, but I know 2 fellow boaters who are now gone due to their being thrown out of a boat at high speed, whereas the boat continued to circle them, wide open, totally unmanned.
Mine does have the hand throttle (no spring return), the idea of adding a lanyard is definately a good one, I will look into it.
I talked with a guy that offered to move the controls to the left side, the cost was between $800.00 and $1,000.00, I may consider this as well in the off season.

TexasJet
05-26-2004, 08:56 AM
Mine is on the right. (see avatar)

Lightning
05-26-2004, 09:36 AM
My buddy just bought a jet boat and his is on the right side as well.

BarryMac
05-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Lightning
My buddy just bought a jet boat and his is on the right side as well.
What is the make of your friends???

Lightning
05-26-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by gottajetboat
What is the make of your friends???
It's an early 90's Ultra.

BarryMac
05-26-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by TexasJet
Mine is on the right. (see avatar)
TJ, what's the make of your boat???

LVjetboy
05-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Then there's prop torque, and stories of vikings and such. None having to do with jets. But I'll buy the torque theory on this one.
jer

CrdStang
05-26-2004, 02:53 PM
My boat is right hand drive too, it's a '72 Marlin Taurus. I'm deffinately going to install an engine cut-off lanyard.
Technically it's iniertia, not "torque" that is counter-acted by putting the driver on the left. Since the water comes out of the jet straight, not rotating, it doesn't try to rotate the boat. Accelerating the mass of engine internals up to speed is what causes the twist. Just think of how a car's engine moves in the mounts when you rev it, even though the car is in neutral..

Back Forty
05-26-2004, 03:26 PM
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WAD3Amcal3qr2nrdvbFUO8ah3dHHtMJGbYAFL2jmsZvZ9!ooI 9dvKVE7Fje3TI2Oe4UPSSHtARi!gtIeoJsIa1YxlKzOqJMBn8s saF2QZLjqSf81LiF7*i!TA02OlR0bMgAAAP****8/102-0288_IMG.JPG?dc=4675440282103812118
THIS IS F@$%ING USELESS....

Back Forty
05-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Try here

BigBlockBaja
05-26-2004, 04:12 PM
Mine is on the right, see attachment