PDA

View Full Version : Fan installations

phebus
05-26-2004, 08:48 AM
I still want to install fans for my amps, but would like to see how others have done it. If anyone has pictures of their install, if they could post pics, I would appreciate it.
Thanks

riverbound
05-26-2004, 02:42 PM
Sorry no pics, We dont like to make the fans visible. POst pics of your amps and I can give you some recommendations on what we would do.

phebus
05-26-2004, 03:04 PM
I don't have any pics available right now, but I have two Rockford Fosgate amps (Punch 800 and bd1500) mounted to a bulkhead with no rear access (seat cushion back on other side). This is inside of a large console on a deck boat.

ROZ
05-26-2004, 03:06 PM
MBrown and 1step have picks of their fans...

1stepcloser
05-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Yes, but they're classified. http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//sad/soupson.gif

riverbound
05-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by phebus
I don't have any pics available right now, but I have two Rockford Fosgate amps (Punch 800 and bd1500) mounted to a bulkhead with no rear access (seat cushion back on other side). This is inside of a large console on a deck boat.
If possible I would cut a hole in the bulkhead right behind the amp and mount the fan there. then what we usually do is take the back panel off the amp and blow the air directly on the circuit bopard of the amp. Technically removing the back panel of the amp voids the warranty but We can make it look like it never happened.:D This works very well in fact my boat is done this way.

phebus
05-26-2004, 04:11 PM
If a hole was cut behind the amp, and the fan placed there, it would have no way to draw air.

Havasu Hangin'
05-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Orvac Electronics in Fullerton has a wide selection of fans...and some grills, too.
I just used a hole saw, and mounted the grill and fan on the inside. I've found push-pull very effective in getting air over amps...

77charger
05-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Orvac Electronics in Fullerton has a wide selection of fans...and some grills, too.
I just used a hole saw, and mounted the grill and fan on the inside. I've found push-pull very effective in getting air over amps... I just ought a couple from them the 4inch computer fans for 2.95 a piece.They are right up the street from me.If you need some let me know i'll be at op6(pm me i cant keep tack of my post any more)

phebus
05-26-2004, 05:35 PM
This is not my system, but one that riverbound posted. I'll use it as an example of what I'm trying to do.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_375-med.jpg If you had amps mounted on a bulkhead like this, but had no rear access, what type of fans would you use to cool them that would blow air over them? I've seen the computer type, but don't know how to mount them to get the air circulation over the amps. Again, this is in a large compartment, so little fans can't circulate enough air within the compartment to cool the entire thing, so I would think the air current would have to pass over the amps.

BoatFloating
05-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Rick, you can go fans like I'm putting se pic below of 1 fan.
They are made by stinger.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/372DSC02115-med.JPG
Here are the fans.
http://www.sfxaudio.com/products/images/63278.jpg
To get them Go here! (http://www.sfxaudio.com/products/dispItem.asp?ProdId=63278)

riverbound
05-26-2004, 05:50 PM
If you have the older rockford amps take the end caps off on the sides you will see little vents point the fans directly at these vents. this is not the prettiest setup but it is very effective. A little bit of airflow will go a long way. put the fans as close to the amps as possible. and do 1 to 2 fans per amp.

phebus
05-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks Rocky. Do the mounts adjust so you can direct the air flow to the side? The way they are pictured, the air flow would go out.
Your all right for one of those death row guys :D

phebus
05-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
If you have the older rockford amps take the end caps off on the sides you will see little vents point the fans directly at these vents. this is not the prettiest setup but it is very effective. A little bit of airflow will go a long way. put the fans as close to the amps as possible. and do 1 to 2 fans per amp.
I believe they are the older type, as yes, they do have the removable end caps. I would think a push pull set up would work good if I could direct the air through the vents.
My options are increasing. :D

phebus
05-26-2004, 05:59 PM
This is the style amps:
http://i3.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/e1/f0/b2_1.JPG

BoatFloating
05-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks Rocky. Do the mounts adjust so you can direct the air flow to the side? The way they are pictured, the air flow would go out.
Your all right for one of those death row guys :D
See how mine is mounted? It is blowing air over the middle amp. They lay flat and blow air in one direction. So mount the fan on the side and it will blow over amps. Duh! do I need to spell it out for you. Your alright too even though you didn't buy my boat but one just like it but slower:D

riverbound
05-26-2004, 06:10 PM
I believe they are the older type, as yes, they do have the removable end caps. I would think a push pull set up would work good if I could direct the air through the vents.
My options are increasing. :D
Push pull wont really make a diiference if you are going to do 2 fans per amp just do 2 blowing into each vent on one side they will also blow air accross the tops. The crossflow style fans will not be able to pull the air.

phebus
05-26-2004, 06:17 PM
Push pull wont really make a diiference if you are going to do 2 fans per amp just do 2 blowing into each vent on one side they will also blow air accross the tops. The crossflow style fans will not be able to pull the air.
I was thinking if I did a push pull system, I would be using the computer type fans rather than the crossflow type, but I am going to look at putting a crossflow fan at one end of each amp with the end caps off. Like you said, air would pass through the amp enclosures as well as over them.

Havasu Hangin'
05-26-2004, 07:04 PM
The crossflow style fans will not be able to pull the air.
Yes...we all know that air is manufactured inside the fan...

77charger
05-26-2004, 07:18 PM
? here if you have an amp with a built in fan will that do?I have an XTANT x604 and it has a fan with an opening on one side it loooks like it flows across the entire amp.its about a 2 inch computer fan type factory installed.It has never seemed to be prob so far for me but always looking at prevention.I leave it turned up for a while(the stereo)

ROZ
05-26-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Yes...we all know that air is manufactured inside the fan... Just don't let the magic smoke out of them...You'd really be in trouble then....

shadow
05-26-2004, 07:44 PM
I used to use those little fans Boatfloating showed pics of,They seemed to work pretty good,I was also running the same type of fosgate amps.I didnt have the end caps off,although that makes sense.Also you might want to consider putting small 1/4"-1/2' spacers in the four corners where you mount the amp so air will circulate all the way around the amp rather than flat against the bulk head.

phebus
05-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Thanks shadow. That is a good idea spacing out the fans. That would put air flow over the back, front, and through the unit. I did a search on e-bay for "stinger fan", and found lots of fans of different sizes. Looks like I am all set.