PDA

View Full Version : powder coating logs

mrossum
04-03-2006, 09:25 AM
anyone have powder coated logs? thinking of doing mine, but don't know how well it will hold up.

SmokinLowriderSS
04-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Since they are 2-layer, water jacketed cooled, they ought to hold up pretty good, except the first inch or so near the heads. That isn't jacketed, just really thick casting and may get hot enough to remove the powder-coat (I believe you bake it also in the removal process but I am no expert on p-c). Mine got pretty hot to the touch (didn't wanna touch them) and ruined some pretty cheapo (aparently) plastic buckles on a life jacket that got rested against them, but never hurt a dry jacket itself. They stayed well below the boiling point of water I am sure.

Glencoe MiniDay
04-03-2006, 02:03 PM
I would not recomend powdercoating the logs because they could get hot enough to cause the coating to start to gas.
That is the temperature at which the powder starts to melt but is still cool enough to remain solid but the powder gives off one hell of a stink.
I knew of a guy who did some headers on a car and you could smell his car for a block away.
I know that car headers get hotter than the logs but at the exhaust ports of the heads they will get hot enough to start to blister or gas off as mentioned before.
Some powdercoaters wont even think of coating those pieces because of outgassing of the aluminum casting.
If you have access to having them cerama coated I would go that way instead of the powder.
Powdercoat is a bunch of fine particles of colored PVC.

mrossum
04-03-2006, 08:55 PM
I would not recomend powdercoating the logs because they could get hot enough to cause the coating to start to gas.
That is the temperature at which the powder starts to melt but is still cool enough to remain solid but the powder gives off one hell of a stink.
I knew of a guy who did some headers on a car and you could smell his car for a block away.
I know that car headers get hotter than the logs but at the exhaust ports of the heads they will get hot enough to start to blister or gas off as mentioned before.
Some powdercoaters wont even think of coating those pieces because of outgassing of the aluminum casting.
If you have access to having them cerama coated I would go that way instead of the powder.
Powdercoat is a bunch of fine particles of colored PVC.
any recommendations on reasonable shop for ceramic coat, in so cal area.