PDA

View Full Version : Driveline U-Joints and Balancing

Wet Dream
05-26-2004, 11:44 AM
I just got my driveline (H-Bar) back from getting new U joints put in it. On the way home I noticed that the zerk fittings are both on the same side. If I remember correctly, the old ones were opposite. Now even though the zerks are small, lightweight and relatively close to the centerline, is this going to raise a balancing issue?
I'm also curious as how many of you are going to go out to the garage to look at yours. ;)

Cheap Thrills
05-26-2004, 11:51 AM
I installed mine on opposite sides . if you have a bench vise and a couple of sockets it's not that hard to do . I may be wrong but I dont believe that there will be enough weight there to cause any ill vibrations .
C.T. :wink:

Wet Dream
05-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the reply. No others?

Rexone
05-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Should be fine, that's the way all our new ones come.

shaun
05-26-2004, 06:25 PM
how often does a drive line need to be balanced? I'm going to replace the u-joints in mine before i put it back in and i'm wondering if i need to have the shaft balanced.

Rexone
05-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Replacing ujoints shouldn't require a rebalance. It's mainly on new drivelines, unless you change length or something on a long one.

CrdStang
05-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Crap..I think I have a problem...
I have two drivelines, one that came with the boat, one I bought locally.
The one that came with the boat sat outside for a while and got pretty rusty, particularly the surface the seal rides on. I was going to use that half from the other driveline. I can't use the whole thing because the flywheel adapter is wrong.
Using parts from 2 different drivelines will probably completely screw the balancing, won't it?

Infomaniac
05-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Take it to any big truck drivetrain place. They can balance or fab them dirt cheap.

Cheap Thrills
05-26-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by CrdStang
Crap..I think I have a problem...
I have two drivelines, one that came with the boat, one I bought locally.
The one that came with the boat sat outside for a while and got pretty rusty, particularly the surface the seal rides on. I was going to use that half from the other driveline. I can't use the whole thing because the flywheel adapter is wrong.
Using parts from 2 different drivelines will probably completely screw the balancing, won't it?
If it's just an H bar I wouldnt think balance would be an issue if the universal joints are the same.
it may be an issue if you have to use offset universal joints.
C.T. :wink:

Moneypitt
05-26-2004, 08:23 PM
I always center punch marks on the components prior to disassembly to asure proper re alignment after u joint replacement. As far as mixing and matching, can't you clean the rust off the sealing area?....Moneypitt

drysumpjet
05-27-2004, 04:02 AM
The driveshaft shop near me was able to get heavier duty u-joints that are "solid", anotherwords the cross peice was not hollow for grease to travel from cup to cup. Greasing is done via a separate individual fitting on each cup. The grease fittings are the type that uses a needle for regreasing and are much smaller and lighter than a typical fitting. Maybe for those who are concerned about balance, replacing standard grease fittings with the lighter "needle type" may be a reasonable compromise.

CrdStang
05-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Moneypitt
As far as mixing and matching, can't you clean the rust off the sealing area?....Moneypitt
It's got some nasty pits. I'd have to put it in a lathe and turn it to get that junk clean..
Unfortunatley there's only one driveshaft shop on the island, and they don't have a balancer, they ship everything off island for balancing. Lame.
Will there be noticeable vibration if it's out of balance? The RPM is going to kept pretty low since I have an Aggressor A impeller and a nearly stock Olds 455.

Moneypitt
05-27-2004, 10:19 PM
If I recall, the size of the jet seal, and the front seal for a BBC are real close to the same size, There is a "sleeve and seal" kit for front seals, MAYBE it ( the sleeve) would work here??? MP