PDA

View Full Version : 8-71 blower

hulshot
01-06-2003, 10:13 PM
anyone looking for a 8-71 polished D/C, tefloned hardened blower, with carb adapter, redone by littlefield???
1200.00 moving up to bigger better blower. post or e-mail

Craig
01-07-2003, 08:10 AM
SHAUN!!!!! Hulshots calling your name :D

andy01
01-07-2003, 03:25 PM
hulshot:
anyone looking for a 8-71 polished D/C, tefloned hardened blower, with carb adapter, redone by littlefield???
1200.00 moving up to bigger better blower. post or e-mail D/C? and do you have any pics?
Andy

hulshot
01-07-2003, 10:34 PM
rascal, I have still photos I can send you on so you can see it, I still havent figeure the digital camera out yet. I can take pics but unsure how to attatch. right now it is out of the boat and ready for a new home. Did I say its polished and is ready to bolt on. no work needed to run it. give me a PM with yor e-mail address and I can e-mail you a piture when I take it.

hulshot
01-07-2003, 10:36 PM
oh D/c is Dan Caps. most So cal Blower manufactures knew him. He was killed years ago.

Craig
01-10-2003, 10:52 AM
Damn Andy, you looking for a new blower before the boats even wet :D !!!
[ January 10, 2003, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]

pleasantcat
01-12-2003, 10:14 AM
craig, yep he is... i sent him an email. :D

hulshot
01-12-2003, 01:16 PM
pleasantcat, I checked the clearance Sat and it is at a tight .005 jut right for gas application. there is absolutly no cuts scrapes or marks on inside case suface. There is no contact between rotors and it rolls over with no tight spots or hard spots. you will not be disappointed. I just went last night to look at a used 14-71 for 1850 and mine blew it out of the water on every aspect. Needles to say I drove 2 hours to look at it based on the owners discription that is was a good piece, I came home empty handed Call me or PM

boatnam2
01-12-2003, 03:02 PM
craig he is just looking for a real blower,not a pep boys i mean b@m

slotracer
01-12-2003, 06:34 PM
hulshot if you do not sell it i would be intersted
at looking at it what all goes with it? thanks pat
slotracer@aol.com :D

Craig
01-12-2003, 07:41 PM
[ January 12, 2003, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Craig ]

Craig
01-12-2003, 07:45 PM
boatnam2:
craig he is just looking for a real blower,not a pep boys i mean b@m Come on boatnam2,you're killin' me :rolleyes:
I got 878 horse out of my Pep Boys blower :D
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/blower.JPG

Infomaniac
01-12-2003, 08:55 PM
Holy Shit Craig. 878 horse with a pulley that big?
That is impressive. Must be a huge engine. What is that line from the "Y" block? Bypass or pressure gage? What kind of fuel pump do you have?
Enough questions? LOL

hulshot
01-12-2003, 09:57 PM
slotracer I dont quite understand what you mean, do you want to look at the motor complete or the boat complete or what comes with the blower. give me a call.209-603-7021
The B@M megablower is polished nice but I'm not fond of the design, apperance, logo, 2 lobe rotors, bearing plates, mounting bolts positions, Did I mention that I'm not fond of B@M blowers. Last stamping I saw on the 144 blower was MADE IN TAIWAN. they must work somewhat though because I do see a few of them around. Are they now together with Holley??

Craig
01-13-2003, 07:07 AM
Infomaniac, yeah, the smaller line is to the fuel pressure gauge. The motor is a 509 running 7 pounds of boost with 9.3-1 comptession. I like the 8-71 as well, but the deal I got on the blower and inter-cooler made it well worth it. The blower had maybe 20 hours on it, I know the guy that had it and it was 3 grand for both pieces. Fuel system is a Holley blue or black electric, -8 line feeding to the tee. Only problem I've had with fuel is after a lot of ideling when it's hot out, the pump heats up and dies. Usually when there's a bunch of people nearby, you don't know. :( I'm switching over to a by-pass regulator to allow the pump to continue pumping vs. dead-heading.
[ January 13, 2003, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]

slotracer
01-13-2003, 07:35 AM
i am interested in the blower set-up. does it come with carbs, belt, pulley's, linkage?
pat(slotracer) :D

boatnam2
01-13-2003, 12:28 PM
i know craig they are nice blowers.i was just kidding!my buddie works for littlefeild i think he has me brain washed.

gnarley
01-14-2003, 11:11 PM
Craig, I heard that the old style Holley Blue pumps had that problem with low flow and overheated & they now have a bypass built in the new ones & don't overheat, Mallory is supposed to make one also that has a bypass from what I've heard. Looks like a real nice motor :D

Craig
01-15-2003, 06:26 AM
Actually I just put that pump on in the summer. It ran without incident all summer and then Labor Day weekend we were idling through Humbug at Lake Pleasant and she died. We tied up with everyone for a couple of hours and then fired right up :confused: Ran fine the next couple of times out until I broke the drive :( I think the return style rgulator is the key to the heating up at idle, we'll see soon.

pleasantcat
01-17-2003, 05:09 PM
hey craig, i talked to don about the 8/71 and it's just the blower. no drive manifold pulleys etc. so i said no. oh well guess i'll just have to run natural :D

MAXIMUS
01-17-2003, 05:23 PM
Craig:
Actually I just put that pump on in the summer. It ran without incident all summer and then Labor Day weekend we were idling through Humbug at Lake Pleasant and she died. We tied up with everyone for a couple of hours and then fired right up :confused: Ran fine the next couple of times out until I broke the drive :( I think the return style rgulator is the key to the heating up at idle, we'll see soon. I have used the moroso bypass regulator & it works very well! Price ain't bad either. I actually put mine on a lathe & removed most of the material to disguise it. Kinda ugly & hard to use with the stock outlets?

jungle cruise
01-17-2003, 06:41 PM
Craig did the fuel pump problem get fixed on the 3ed or the 4th try :D , I know i should not talk because of a small thing called argue 'KARMA' argue and Ill be the next one to have pump problems... But you have such graet practice at it you can ride with me eek! I also hear the jeff gordon is looking for a new fuel pump guy and your time is the best out there... check it out... see you next week I be back up there picking the new baby up.. I cant wait..
c-ya soon

Craig
01-18-2003, 07:03 AM
Lets see smart-ass :D Two black pumps, put the red one on, then a black, back to the red, then the blue. OK, so I have some &%$#@ practice! I've been assured the return regulator will solve all the worlds problems :rolleyes: And yes, one would not talk smack when he has a new boat being delivered soon! If you go to the lake on the Monday let me know, I'd like to see that thing with a motor in it!
Maximus, I didn't know Moroso made one, I'll have to check it out.
[ January 18, 2003, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]

jungle cruise
01-18-2003, 09:08 AM
looks like maybe sat or sun to the lake :p Im just waiting to get the final call,,,, they will fire it on thurs and lake test it fri or sat and pick it up on sat or sun... :D :D he sold 68 boats at the show this year and that was 25 more than last year and he said he only lost 8 out last years orders.. so he needs the room
see ya soon eek!

blownbbf
01-21-2003, 09:50 PM
Craig
That motor is impressive. What heads did you use to make the 850+ horse? And did you actually dyno the motor?

Craig
01-22-2003, 03:56 AM
They're the iron square ports that came on the original 454 Mag. They had the bowls cleaned up along with the intake ports. 2.25 intakes, I forget exhaust other then Inconel. Yes, the motor was dyno'd, I was sitting right there watching it. Kind of scary at first listening to your new motor scream like that eek! 878 horse @ 6100 rpm, 844 ft/lbs torque @ 4400 rpm. The secrets in the cam, it's Crane hydraulic roller, but I can't find the damn cam card for specs. 7# boost, 34 degrees advance, locked in.

Tee
01-22-2003, 07:49 AM
Hey Craig,
Find that cam card yet? Let me know when you do.
Tee

Boatmaster
02-06-2003, 01:50 PM
Hey Don whats up are you selling your blower to buy a pair of 300Xs.

paradigm shift
02-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Craig:
Infomaniac, yeah, the smaller line is to the fuel pressure gauge. The motor is a 509 running 7 pounds of boost with 9.3-1 comptession. Craig do you run AV gas or race fuel. To high a final compression ratio for pump gas I would think. Course I have been wrong before. Very nice set up. :)

Craig
02-10-2003, 06:58 AM
[/QUOTE]Craig do you run AV gas or race fuel. To high a final compression ratio for pump gas I would think. Course I have been wrong before. Very nice set up. :) [/QB][/QUOTE]
No, you are correct. I run av-gas and a little Marvel Mystery Oil. The only reason I used the flat top pistons was I got a smokin deal on the whole rotating assembly. Larry Peto prefers a dished piston for a blower. I could get away with 92 if I backed the boost and timing down. But you know I can't do that :D