PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Alternator Issue

Hallett19
05-26-2004, 03:40 PM
I see all these fancy shmancy diagrams you guys have and I was wondering if someone could get me one for a BBF setup with an external regulator. I have the system setup like this...... pay attention :D Ok, on the regulator, there are 4 prongs, I,A,S, and F from the I there is a small grey wire going to the fuse block, then off to the front of the boat, from the A there is another wire tied to the batteries that goes to the BAT on the alternator, the S prong has a small wire that goes to the FLD spot on the Alternator and the F prong has a small wire that goes to the STA on the alt. Please help me before I take that alt back to claim warranty. I just bought new batteries and the system still barely charges at anything over 12.5 with the motor cold and over 2k rpms !!!! :yuk:

Hallett19
05-26-2004, 03:57 PM
I got the problem solved here is a website that helped me out
for future refrence !!
http://www.theeren.net/articles/Tec...ics2_2003_6.pdf

Wet Dream
05-26-2004, 07:19 PM
You're pretty good at that "Self Help" stuff. Maybe you should look into writing a book or doing classes. :D

Infomaniac
05-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Kind of like talking to your self and answering where people can see you doing it.

GofastRacer
05-26-2004, 07:35 PM
Why not a one wire alternator!:rolleyes:

Wet Dream
05-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
Kind of like talking to your self and answering where people can see you doing it.
And wondering why people look at you funny.

Sleek-Jet
05-26-2004, 07:51 PM
With those old external regulators, you should be able to up the voltage by adjusting the regulator.

Hallett19
05-26-2004, 08:28 PM
how do you adjust the regulator ? I'm really glad it was such a simple fix. I have 2 new deep cycle group 24 Die Hard batteries. I ran the stereo today for over 2 hours on one battery and it still had TONS of power to crank the motor over REALLY fast ! Plus I got a cool charger :D I love boats !!

Sleek-Jet
05-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Off the top of my head, I couldn't give you exact instructions, but you should be able to remove the cover on the regulator and there is an adjustment screw. You turn that to adjust it. I'll have to go find my old service manual to be sure, but that's in the storage shed. If you can find an old Chiltons "all make" service manual from the late 60's to early 70's (that's what I've got for working on the old crap I own), it will show you in detail on how and where to adjust.
But I wouldn't change to much, sounds like everthing is working pretty well now.

Hallett19
05-26-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by GofastRacer
Why not a one wire alternator!:rolleyes:
Yeah, sleek, everything works great !
I heard that running that setup you have to run a horse cock wire to the batteries and its not as good. I'd rather keep it all how it was, move 2 wires and have it work properly. And about the talking to myself thing Info, a guy in the "sandbar" helped we with that and I wanted to share my new findings with everyone, but I have been known to talk to myself quite often, especially at work I'll ask myself questions out loud and people think I'm cooky :D