PDA

View Full Version : trailer running

signmaster
05-26-2004, 05:52 PM
what seal burns out when trailer running, I did this a couple of times when doing the setup on my motor last year we took it out about 5 times afterward ,everything seems ok .does that mean Im ok or no?

Cheap Thrills
05-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Ive heard that the packing gland on the impeller shaft would burn up running it out of water hasn;t happened to me yet but anythings likely. also the wear ring is subject to the evils of running dry . if it's not leaking and it runs good . drive it like you stole it :p
C.T. :wink:

signmaster
05-26-2004, 06:10 PM
thanks ,I read somewhere in here never run it dry,I thought maybe Iwrecked it already.

BigBlockBaja
05-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Hey Signmaster, you got a 4 point motor mount or 3 point?

signmaster
05-27-2004, 04:05 PM
four point its all harmann stuff

BigBlockBaja
05-27-2004, 05:23 PM
If you plan on running it on the trailer for extended periods of time, like for tuning, breaking a cam in, or what ever, just pull off the driveshaft cover and its only 4 bolts on the driveshaft to disconnect it from the pto flange

Roman 1
05-27-2004, 07:08 PM
I have a question...
Several years ago I built a motor for a buddy with an Eliminator Daytona. We sent out the pump while building the motor.
After reassembly (and because I admittedly have zero jet knowledge) I trusted the owner with hooking up what was supposed to be adequate water for the driveway run.
He hooked up a hose to the motor and with a seperate hose sprayed the impeller. I then broke in the cam on the trailer and made a few small adjustments.
The motor is a proven combination that I have prviously ran in other boats with excellent results.
We went to millerton for testing and the boat seemed slow to me! Well, not slow but much slower then I had expected. It felt like it was slipping excessively. Because it feels faster then it was before, the owner is happy.
I think the boat has more in it. I cant remember wich impeller we put in but it was suppose to get us 95 mph at 6500 rpm??!! It feels more like 75 to me! My friend has since put 2 trouble free seasons on it but I think somethings wrong.
Is there a chance that we f--ked it up on the trailer???
RC:confused:

Jake W
05-28-2004, 04:58 AM
You do not want ot run it on the trailer because it will ware the clearnces much faster being that the warering and imp are dry witch is more friction.
If you have an Ultimate ware ring never run it on the trailer because it will melt it and clog up the water pasage to the pump to motor in the jet.
And think if you are running it dry after towing it aroung it will probely have small pebels sand road grime in it and will act like sand paper.
Roman 1 did you build the motor to match the imp.Like so it would make peak HP where the cut of the imp could be spun to.Your buddie could have it cut down to where it will match and if he loses hole shot he could put an inducer in.
Or mabey the answer you want is it is not a V drive?
Alot of people run their jet dry and thoes are the people that neve know what their boat will do because they have worne the pump exscesivaly(sp).
Jake:D

Danhercules
05-28-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Jake W
And think if you are running it dry after towing it aroung it will probely have small pebels sand road grime in it and will act like sand paper.
I drove back from Havasu with my NEW pump. I was home runnin it and tuning and timmin the motor with out the drive connected. When I did finnally connect the drive, I spun the pump by hand. I could not belive what I heard. It was grinding. I now cover my intake all the time.

Roman 1
05-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Jake W
If you have an Ultimate ware ring never run it on the trailer because it will melt it and clog up the water pasage to the pump to motor in the jet.
Roman 1 did you build the motor to match the imp.Like so it would make peak HP where the cut of the imp could be spun to.Your buddie could have it cut down to where it will match and if he loses hole shot he could put an inducer in.
We didn't tow it around before running it.
It actually has a good hole shot but only if you stand on it.
And yes, the motor and impeller were to work together in harmony.
I just feel like the rpm doesn't match the speed...Like its slipping. It takes like 3000rpm just to plane out?? I don't think it runs over 75 when it should be in the 90's. The motor pulls 7200???