PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding weiand blower?

Bote Loco
06-08-2003, 01:15 PM
I have a 525sc w/ weiand 177 blower. It sounds like a bearing is bad. I'm in Michigan & weather just getting nice - can't ship off & blow 2-4 wks getting repaired. Two questions - what do you think will need to be done. How should I find someone to rebuild. I assume many engine mechanics have never dealt w/ blowers. Difficult? Could an auto high-performance blower man do?
thanks.............Dave

eliminator777
06-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Dyer Blower service in Chicago ILL. DON'T KNOW PHONE NUMBER.Or box it up send it to mooneyham or littlefields.or take a chance and take it apart and fix it your self. I re-strip my blower take it apart do what needs to be done. :D :D :p :p :p

Bote Loco
06-09-2003, 01:04 PM
Thanks for your help. Dyers said they can not do Weiands as they are now owned by Holley. I could ship to Holley in TN, they said 3 wk turn around. Also could ship to Blower Shop w/ 7 day time est. I'm sure they will do great job, just leary of time in shipping?

wideopen545
06-09-2003, 07:21 PM
hey laco you can check with your local bus mech like city bus transit they use root style blowers they might help just a thought

Bote Loco
06-12-2003, 03:32 AM
Well it sounded like a bearing in the very front of the shaft housing that bolts to the main blower assembly. So I took it off and examined it the other night. Basically had a sealed bearing that was bad, which I was able to replace from a local bearing distributor. All oil in the blower stops at a seal right before this bearing. So any dust or shavings were in the very front of this assembly and did not get past seal & into main housing. Will reassemble tonight. If it works I will use this summer, then ship entire assembly to be re-done. 2nd engine seems fine, but will of course have that blower re-built as well. (340 hrs) thanks guys!