PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera - Cannon "Sureshot"

LASERRAY
05-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Does anyone own one of the Cannon "powershot" cameras? They seem to be the best selling digital. I'm going to pull the trigger on one this weekend and need some input on this model or any other brands.
Thanks alot.
:cool:

DEEZ NUTTS
05-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Yes! I just got one a few weeks ago. The S50 It comes with a manual a half inch thick. I would take a class if one was offered. I have not figured out if I can speed it up or not yet. My biggest complaint with digital is the delay. Most of the stuff I want to take pictures of is always going fast and the delay sucks.
To answer your question..... It takes pictures and short video. Thats all I know so far.

DEEZ NUTTS
05-26-2004, 07:49 PM
I just looked, mine is a "Power Shot" dont know the difference.

Boozer
05-26-2004, 07:50 PM
I havent had much experience with the cannons but I had a Fuji Finepix 3.2 MP camera. Picture quality was absolutely unbelievable for a camera that only cost $249.99. That was last summer so I imagine it has come down in price since.
My mother has a Sony somethin or another thats a 3.2 MP camera and she paid over $300.00 for it. The picture quality does not even hold a candle to my fuji.
The biggest thing I have discovered with digi cams is that you need to make sure they can get a clear picture even when the camera is not 100% stable. My Fuji could get a clean shot even with a little movement versus my mothers sony which has to be completely still to get a good clean shot.
I'm still kicking myself for leaving my Fuji on an airplane back in November. :mad: :mad: Which of course noone turned into lost and found.

Kindsvater Flat
05-26-2004, 07:51 PM
These rapid shots were taken with a $400.00 Fuji S5000.
Needles 1 (http://www.schoutenranch.com/needles1/index.htm)
Needles 2 (http://www.schoutenranch.com/needles2/index.htm)

Dr. Eagle
05-26-2004, 07:51 PM
Bought my son a Sony (P70 I think it was) for Christmas. It takes AWESOME pictures and is very user friendly.......

dmontzsta
05-26-2004, 08:03 PM
I bought a Kodak DX 6490 for $500.
It is the best digital camera I have used. 4 megapixel 10x optical zoom and 3x digital. I bought bigger memory cards and can take up to 36 minutes of GOOD video. The picture quality and zoom are awesome. Not sure if you want to spend that much, but I just spent the little extra than the cheaper cameras to get a good kick ass camera. :D

Tom Brown
05-26-2004, 08:04 PM
The SureShot is Canon's line compact film cameras. The digital line is called PowerShot. I've owned a couple of them and have spent significant time with several. What would you like to know?

Cheap Thrills
05-26-2004, 08:27 PM
heres a couple of shots from last weekend with a Samsung 2.5Mp
That I happend to come across at a flea market for $40.00
these were taken on med quality low res. the detail with it cranked up is amazing but only 7 pic on the 8 Meg memory as opposed to 32. click the pic to get the big picture .
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=44314&password=&sort=7&thecat=500
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=44313&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

Dr. Eagle
05-26-2004, 08:30 PM
Here is one taken by the son's Sony P70
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/508/1543gc_op6_psd.jpg
Whatchu Talkin bout Ray........:D

LASERRAY
05-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
The SureShot is Canon's line compact film cameras. The digital line is called PowerShot. I've owned a couple of them and have spent significant time with several. What would you like to know? Thanks for the clarafication Tom.;) I'd like to know about ease of use, picture quality, ( i'm looking for 5MP or better), ease of use with printer-Hub etc. Reliability. You know, the basic Consumer Reports angle ;)

Tom Brown
05-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Here is a shot of the Okanagan valley I took with a PowerShot S400. This is straight out of the camera with no processing or additional compression so it's pretty big. The S400 and S410 are roughly the same camera.
Okanagan Valley (http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/img_0288.jpg)
Prairie scene (http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/img_0495.jpg)
Vegas night shot (http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/img_1183.jpg)

spectras only
05-26-2004, 08:45 PM
laserray, go to www.dpreview.com . Read all the reviews and check the resolution charts they have for the higher end cameras.

ssmike
05-26-2004, 08:49 PM
A couple things:
Digital zoom is worthless
Buying a digital camera that takes AA batteries is worthless. Instead of buying film, you buy batteries.
(I would only consider a camera with a decent optical zoom and a lithuim ion battery)
Canon is the industry leader in digital photography. The picture quality is unmatched.
The 'Power Shot" is Canon's P & S (Point and Shoot) digital cam line.
For something very small, check out the s500. For a little larger body, check out the s80.
Both of these P & S cameras have very high review ratings.
Nikon, Minolta, & Olympus also make a very good product.
Canon , unfortunately, does not make the most "user-friendly" stuff.
For that, check out offerings from Sony and Kodak.
Before you buy, find a local store and GO PICK UP AND PLAY WITH THE CAMERA.
It will make all the difference.
Most users dont come close to using their camera's potential.....That is why
when people ask questions about a particular model, the common response is:
"I bought X and its pretty good."

Cheap Thrills
05-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by ssmike
A couple things:
Buying a digital camera that takes AA batteries is worthless. Instead of buying film, you buy batteries.
thats why they make NIMH. batteries . :rolleyes: :D
C.T. :wink:

Sleek-Jet
05-26-2004, 09:00 PM
Olympus 4000S here. 4.0 mp. A nice camera, but a little big.
As far as battery life, I buy batteries about once a year, but I don't take a ton of pics either. Mine take 2 3v lithium batteries.
Get a big memory card or stick or what ever Canon uses and take pics on the highest resolution you can, it helps when you shrink or crop the image.
But, I still have my 35mm set up and use it on occasion also, usually when I want to take "special" pics (like time lapse, ect...).
One bad thing about digitals is the slight delay in taking a pic. My Olympus allows you to slighlty depress the shutter button and the camera will focus and set the shutter speed/f stop. If you hold that position with the shutter, you can take quicker pics. I've got a couple from the drags in Vegas that turned out really well using this technique, no shaking.

chrissy
05-26-2004, 09:04 PM
I bought a Sony Cybershot and it's been a pretty good investment. It's incrediably simple cam to operate from taking pics to storing them on your pc , e-mailing them etc. However the the delay sucks.

ssmike
05-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
thats why they make NIMH. batteries . :rolleyes: :D
C.T. :wink:
even the Nimh rechargeables wont hold a charge like a lithium :D

Cheap Thrills
05-26-2004, 09:07 PM
even the Nimh rechargeables wont hold a charge like a lithium :D
this is true . :D
C.T.

ssmike
05-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
One bad thing about digitals is the slight delay in taking a pic. My Olympus allows you to slighlty depress the shutter button and the camera will focus and set the shutter speed/f stop. If you hold that position with the shutter, you can take quicker pics. I've got a couple from the drags in Vegas that turned out really well using this technique, no shaking.
Canon's P & S cameras are set up similarly. The above description is a good method.
Delay is caused by 2 separate issues:
Focusing lag time
shutter lag time
Sleek's method helps with the focusing lag.
The only true "cure" to the delay is to get a digital SLR ......$$$$$$
:D

dmontzsta
05-26-2004, 09:14 PM
A couple things:
(I would only consider a camera with a decent optical zoom and a lithuim ion battery)
Canon is the industry leader in digital photography. The picture quality is unmatched.
The 'Power Shot" is Canon's P & S (Point and Shoot) digital cam line.
For something very small, check out the s500. For a little larger body, check out the s80.
Both of these P & S cameras have very high review ratings.
Nikon, Minolta, & Olympus also make a very good product.
For that, check out offerings from Sony and Kodak.
Before you buy, find a local store and GO PICK UP AND PLAY WITH THE CAMERA.
It will make all the difference.
Most users dont come close to using their camera's potential.....That is why
when people ask questions about a particular model, the common response is:
"I bought X and its pretty good."
I agree with all this, it seems like Mike knows his shiit. Everything he said is true, these are all things I looked for before settling on the DX6490 from Kodak. I also took in to consideration the price of SD memory and XD memory in my decision.
Now give me your boat Mike. :D

Tom Brown
05-26-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
You know, the basic Consumer Reports angle ;)
Hit the review sites. Steves-digicams.com and others will give you tables of features and specs to compare. You will not end up with a Canon based on features and megapixels per dollar.
dpreview.com, as has already been mentioned, is an excellent resource also.

ssmike
05-26-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by dmontzsta
I agree with all this, it seems like Mike knows his shiit. Everything he said is true, these are all things I looked for before settling on the DX6490 from Kodak. I also took in to consideration the price of SD memory and XD memory in my decision.
Now give me your boat Mike. :D
LOL. A friend of mine just got the 6490 last week....I liked it! I saw some of your pics a couple days ago.....looked GREAT. You will be happy with it.
dpreview.com is great, but sucks for beginners. Its liike in Greek or something.
stevesdigicams is a little more "newbie" friendly.

ssmike
05-26-2004, 09:27 PM
Here it is:
Bling (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0405/04051802olympusferrari.asp#press) :D
I'm a sucker for those I - talian jobbers though

Tom Brown
05-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by dmontzsta
Everything he said is true...
hmmm... Perhaps a legitimat perspective but I don't know about 'true' as in 'fact'.
Personally, I like smooth prints so I care a ton about noise levels. That's why I have a 4 megapixel camera instead of a 5, 6, or 8.
A large component of noise comes from pixel density so the larger the sensor the better, from a noise point of view. Increasing the resolution in the same size sensor invariably increases the noise too.
Also, I'll take a Canon A70 with AA Ni-MH rechargables over almost any compact digital battery system. They will outlast lithium and will take hundreds of pics per charge. I'll take AA batteries over litium, given the choice.
Of course, 4 AA batteries take up way more space than most batteries so they aren't an option in an ultra-compact camera. Of course, the battery for my S400 costs about 70 bucks and when it goes dead, I can't buy one at the corner store so I always take a spare.
I'll take the S410 or S400 over the S500 too. The extra pixel density reduces the light sensitivity and causes it to perform worse in low light conditions. It's a great camera and has some nice features over the S4x0 models but for sheer picture quality, I didn't like the S500 I tried.
As far as Canon being 'the shit', that's only on the highest end DSLRs. In the prosumer market, I'd take a Nikon. The 5700 is as good as anything in Canon's prosumer line, IMO. The G5 isn't that great, IMO. I haven't seen the PowerShot Pro 1 yet, though.
For a compact, I'd take the Canon A75. It will take amazing pictures, is super cheap, and has tons of features. It's probably the best camera value on the market right now. Of course, it's only 3.2mp but will make a fabulous looking 8x10 print.
For an ultra-compact, I think the S400/S410 is pretty tough to beat. For sheer size, the Pentax is significantly smaller and still has a 3x optical zoom which is amazing, but the shots don't sparkle quite as much as a PowerShot, IMO, so it's a bit of a trade off.
The other thing no one has talked about is default sharpening and color balance. All of the new consumer cameras create shots with over cooked colors and tend toward being over sharpened... just the way we like it.
Canon and Nikon used to stay away from this but now they have cranked up their color maps and sharpening flows so we can have 'bright, vibrant shots' that everyone likes... even if the thing being photographed isn't bright or vibrant.
Ray, if you want megapixels and buttons look away from Canon. Canon is behind in the megapixel race with the bulk of their line. They are right up there with picture quality, though.
I would say Canon's build quality has waned a bit too. The newer cameras tend to have a little more purple fringing and the switching doesn't seem as sharp. I guess that's the way of the world.

Cole Sanger
05-26-2004, 09:51 PM
I have the Canon S30, have had it for two years. I love the camera. Only thing that is bad about it is when you want to send a video. It records in AVI format. Only problem with that is a 30 second video on the lowest quality turns out to be 5Meg. Doesn't take long to figure out that it takes forever to send and fills up the person you are sending it to's e-mail real quick. Look for something that records in WMV(Windows Media Viewer) format. I have to use a program that changes from AVI to WMV before I can send videos and it really cuts the quality.

LASERRAY
05-26-2004, 09:56 PM
hmmm... Perhaps a legitimat perspective but I don't know about 'true' as in 'fact'.
Personally, I like smooth prints so I care a ton about noise levels. That's why I have a 4 megapixel camera instead of a 5, 6, or 8.
A large component of noise comes from pixel density so the larger the sensor the better, from a noise point of view. Increasing the resolution in the same size sensor invariably increases the noise too.
Also, I'll take a Canon A70 with AA Ni-MH rechargables over almost any compact digital battery system. They will outlast lithium and will take hundreds of pics per charge. I'll take AA batteries over litium, given the choice.
Of course, 4 AA batteries take up way more space than most batteries so they aren't an option in an ultra-compact camera. Of course, the battery for my S400 costs about 70 bucks and when it goes dead, I can't buy one at the corner store so I always take a spare.
I'll take the S410 or S400 over the S500 too. The extra pixel density reduces the light sensitivity and causes it to perform worse in low light conditions. It's a great camera and has some nice features over the S4x0 models but for sheer picture quality, I didn't like the S500 I tried.
As far as Canon being 'the shit', that's only on the highest end DSLRs. In the prosumer market, I'd take a Nikon. The 5700 is as good as anything in Canon's prosumer line, IMO. The G5 isn't that great, IMO. I haven't seen the PowerShot Pro 1 yet, though.
For a compact, I'd take the Canon A75. It will take amazing pictures, is super cheap, and has tons of features. It's probably the best camera value on the market right now. Of course, it's only 3.2mp but will make a fabulous looking 8x10 print.
For an ultra-compact, I think the S400/S410 is pretty tough to beat. For sheer size, the Pentax is significantly smaller and still has a 3x optical zoom which is amazing, but the shots don't sparkle quite as much as a PowerShot, IMO, so it's a bit of a trade off.
The other thing no one has talked about is default sharpening and color balance. All of the new consumer cameras create shots with over cooked colors and tend toward being over sharpened... just the way we like it.
Canon and Nikon used to stay away from this but now they have cranked up their color maps and sharpening flows so we can have 'bright, vibrant shots' that everyone likes... even if the thing being photographed isn't bright or vibrant.
Ray, if you want megapixels and buttons look away from Canon. Canon is behind in the megapixel race with the bulk of their line. They are right up there with picture quality, though.
I would say Canon's build quality has waned a bit too. The newer cameras tend to have a little more purple fringing and the switching doesn't seem as sharp. I guess that's the way of the world. Damn Tom, I'd say you know a little about Dig Cams.;) I appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me.:) I will broaden my horizons.:wink:

Riverblender
05-26-2004, 09:58 PM
I have a Sony DCSP10 5 mp and the best thing is the underwater case that you could buy for this camera from Sony great for around the water use. Good quality pics and easy to use.
Riverblender

Tom Brown
05-26-2004, 10:00 PM
I almost forgot...
Digital zoom is worthless http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif
... and ...
Canon, fortunately, make the most "user-friendly" stuff. :D
I'll take the PowerShot menu system over Kodak's control system any day. Sony too. Maybe it's because I'm used to it.

Tom Brown
05-26-2004, 10:14 PM
I feel I should chime in with some non-Canon comments...
Sony makes some great cameras. In terms of sheer picture definition, I think they're better than anybody in the consumer space. Memory stick grosses me out for some reason but the equipment is good.
Nikon has always made great cameras. They have models like the 995 that cranks out pictures that hold up not bad, even today. Not many cameras from that era have held up like that.
Fuji has come a long way. They make a bunch of really solid and great cameras.
Olympus has done some really good things too. For tweaks like me who want a bunch of manual features, Olympus makes some great models that are tough to beat. Their noise levels are a tad bit dissappointing given the cost of some of their equipment but it's not like they are terribly noisy or don't make nice prints.
There are a lot of really good digital cameras on the market now. Not so long ago, there were only a hand full of models with faithful color reproduction and acceptible noise levels. When you look at the color maps now, they're all pretty similar and roughly any camera will do more than the average person needs.
Oh yes... Cole Sanger. I had an S30 too. Beautiful camera. There is no need to upgrade that camera as you won't gain much. You can do some amazing photography with an S30.
OK... opinion spam off. :D :D :D

LASERRAY
05-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Thanks again Tom for all the input.;)

spectras only
05-26-2004, 10:30 PM
Laserray, forget about all the recommendations;) :p ,.You can buy one of our promotional product and save $ 3000 smuckeroos:D .Hasselblad 1 with our Valeo leaf setup 22 megapixel. You can check it at www.creo.com under products ,hehe. Once you're comfortable with the unit ,you can order a CTP laser printer and start producing 85" posters:cool: :D

LASERRAY
05-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by spectras only
Laserray, forget about all the recommendations;) :p ,.You can buy one of our promotional product and save $ 3000 smuckeroos:D .Hasselblad 1 with our Valeo leaf setup 22 megapixel. You can check it at www.creo.com under products ,hehe. Once you're comfortable with the unit ,you can order a CTP laser printer and start producing 85" posters:cool: :D Cool! Do you have Layaway?:D

Tom Brown
05-26-2004, 10:48 PM
You only save the 3K if you buy a Blad at the same time so you'll have ti ditch your current H1. :D
I've never seen one of those, other than in a magazine, but I love that the LCD is about the same size as the sensor. :D
I wonder if it comes with an 8 meg type 2 CF card?

spectras only
05-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Tom , we at creo just got the joint venture with Blad ,so I haven't seen the new model yet.I used to fix hasselblads amongst all the other makes when I was a camera tech.I was a certified canon tech for 28 yrs:eek: but seen the faith of film cameras written on the wall and jumped the opportunity to join creo when they were searching for techs.There're many ex camera techs working there. BTW, laserray canon was always a leader of new technology and had superior products.Canon,Nikon ,Olympus have their own lens manufacturing that give them better quality control.Sony has borrowed optics from germany and because of it it's pricey.You don't have to spend a fortune to get great pictures nowdays. Get one with IS [ image stabilizer] control and you're all set.

dmontzsta
05-26-2004, 11:22 PM
Another thing is Kodak has a dock. You keep the dock plugged in to your computer, then when you get home just put the camera in the dock and it is a charging station, you press the button in the front and it uploads the pics to your computer, you can also print pics right off the doc. It comes with the softward to take the red out of pics, photo album and all.
...now thats what I call user friendly.

HammerDown
05-27-2004, 04:44 AM
Damn Tom, I'd say you know a little about Dig Cams.;)
All the better to take hi-quality pics of his muffins!:D

Tom Brown
05-27-2004, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by spectras only
Get one with IS [ image stabilizer] control and you're all set.
I wonder how many people nail up the checklist of features, get a tiny camera with gigapixel resolution, super powerful optical zoom lens, and then are disappointed in the clarity of their non-flash shots?
Canon has a new compact digital with IS. It looks good but I haven't had a chance to spend any time with it, yet.
Canon PowerShot S1 IS (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canons1is/)

roostwear
05-27-2004, 05:52 AM
I use a HP PS850, and it's a gerat camera. 4.2 mp, 8x optical zoom, 7x digital zoom for a combined 56x zoom. Worthless? Hardly. Ask Wsuwrhr about a shot I took of him from a quarter mile away. I use this camera ALOT.... for pleasure and for the site photos. Don't overlook HP. Just use different upload software (it sucks)

sorry dog
05-27-2004, 06:34 AM
I think UGEE is pretty high up on the value scale. Mine is 4M with a 64Meg card and was around $120.
http://ugee.cn.alibaba.com/athena/sampledetail/5656789.html
I would say Canon's build quality has waned a bit too. The newer cameras tend to have a little more purple fringing and the switching doesn't seem as sharp. I guess that's the way of the world.
Those fockers probably moved their plant from China to Banglidesh to save on labor costs.

Hal
05-27-2004, 07:09 AM
Check out dell.com for a pretty good buy on Cannon cameras.

Tom Brown
05-27-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by sorry dog
Mine is 4M with a 64Meg card and was around $120.
http://ugee.cn.alibaba.com/athena/sampledetail/5656789.html
Sony guts.

hot_diggity_dog
05-27-2004, 07:17 AM
Tom the only thing bad I heard on the Nikon Coolpix 5700 is that it had a slow shutter speed, this was improved on with the new 8700 model.
I just purchased the Nikon Coolpix 8700 and am very happy so far.
HDD:cool:

jackpunx
05-27-2004, 07:42 AM
I have one and love it.. Ive taken it around the world a few times.. and on all the boat trips..all my digi shots that are posted are from that camera.. I have the elph 3.2mp...Ive dropped it a bunch of times.. its all good..Ive taken some really cool vids with it as well.. AS soon as something happens to it.. I'll get the 4.0

19cobaltcd
05-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Gotta throw in my comments. Bought a Sony a couple of years ago, dont remember the model but it was about 500. It has the high end Zeiss lens and pic quality is incredible. The memory sticks are cool. You can carry more pics around your pocket than you could ever take and not know they are there. The lithium battery is too cool to. Charged it before a trip to Italy, took in the neighborhood of 200 pics and still had life in it when I got home. Purchased a reader about the size of a credit card, just plug the stick in and easy downloads to the computer. Bought a 4 x 6 HP photo printer, can put the stick in it and print dirrectly. Quality is as good as my old Canon 35mm. My recommendation, buy as much as you can afford.:cool:

spectras only
05-27-2004, 09:15 AM
I wonder how many people nail up the checklist of features, get a tiny camera with gigapixel resolution, super powerful optical zoom lens, and then are disappointed in the clarity of their non-flash shots?
Canon has a new compact digital with IS. It looks good but I haven't had a chance to spend any time with it, yet.
Canon PowerShot S1 IS (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canons1is/) Tom , just read some features on this camera and it's all good . 10X optical zoom is nothing to sneeze at and top it off with IS is good in my book. I like the Nikon Coolpix models as well . On e of my favorite camera was the Olympus 2100 Ultra zoom with 10X power [it only has 2 MP ] ,but you can only find them on used on Amazon.com nowdays. My recommendation for buyers is to get a model of your choice with manual overrides and a hotshoe .The puny little flash is really only good for fill in ,or close up pictures. They brought that over from the point and shoot cameras ,which never satisfied any serious camera buffs. The other major point to choose a camera is the size of front lens [objective] for letting more light in [faster lens] .

Rev. Williams
05-27-2004, 09:58 AM
I can't say enough good things about my Canon S80... It's 4.0 megapixel and has a fast trigger (for the moving boats) and it also has a swivel display screen that works well for showing the pics and for taking pics with some descession :D
I also like the Canon program it comes with, it downloads with ease and makes viewing your pics a piece of cake. It also records video really well !! and that plays in the program just as easy.
I found it for $375 at Circut City and with the extra 256mb compact flash card and case I was still way under $500.
Another great feature is that it takes 4 AA batteries and they last a looooong time !!! I'm talking like 150+ pics and video. I use mine just about every day and I've replaced the batteries twice in the last two months.
Check out the pics of my interior in the image center....And that's only on the med. fine setting.

BROS&HOS
05-27-2004, 12:58 PM
I have a Canon S400. I bought it when they first came out and it's an awesome camera and the software is very user friendly.

PowellScooter
05-27-2004, 01:13 PM
I gotta throw this in here, I bought a Canon powershot a60 to use as a family camera and take pics for stuff I sell on e-bay. I was at a renaisance festival, you know the ones that have the 85 oz beers and turkey legs that you gnaw on while wandering around watching the kids do the scene, anyway I was taking some pics of my boys on a trampoline/bungee dealio and dropped the camera. No big deal its broken but its 3 weeks old so I send it to Canon and tell em I f`d up and dropped it, I dont expect warranty but I want it fixed like new...opperation and cosmeticaly. I wait 2 weeks and finally call em. It was like talking to crack heads. oh wow yeah we have your camera and the flat rate to fix it is 100.00. I fax em the ok, 1 week later I get the camera back, it works bitchen but the body and the lens bezeel are still gouged up, now mind you I sent a letter and spoke to an employee stating I want it to look new and got the yeah ok on this. When I call back I have to go through phone prompt HELL to get to the guy they say I need to talk to, hes never at his desk so I leave detailed messages...(5) hes never called back once.. The camera is great, takes great pics, has lots of features and is easy to use (recommend the wrist strap) but CANONA CUSTOMER SVC SUCKS

LASERRAY
05-31-2004, 10:09 AM
First off let me just thank all of you for your replys and advice. I thank you for all the help.:)
I bought a Cannon Powershot S410. 4 MP 11x zoom ( 3x optical, 8x digital ). Bought the extra flashcard too. 128meg, and a smoking nice case which also holds the Cannon photo printer.
This camera seems perfect for my scope of useage.
Here's a shot of my twins that I took yesterday. I had it set on 640x480 fine. I can only imagine how nice the shot would have turned-out with a superfine setting.
:cool:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3381Img_0042.jpg

Kim Hanson
05-31-2004, 12:13 PM
I use the HP 635 and it works great also :D Tom's pictures of my boat in Kelowna made Extreme Boating, they are good cameras you guys have :cool: .............( . )( . )..........

Tom Brown
05-31-2004, 12:46 PM
I bought a Cannon Powershot S410.
I'm sure you'll enjoy that camera, Ray. :)
You should consider picking up the ELPH leather sleeve to project that sweet cerabrite finish when it's stuffed in your pocket.
I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. :)

LASERRAY
05-31-2004, 01:19 PM
I'm sure you'll enjoy that camera, Ray. :)
You should consider picking up the ELPH leather sleeve to project that sweet cerabrite finish when it's stuffed in your pocket.
I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. :)
Thanks for all your help Tom. Your input influenced my decision.;)
The only drawback that I've seen so far is the small (1.5") display. But i've already learned to live with it.:cool: