PDA

View Full Version : Water Impeller R&R? Alpha1

Super D
05-26-2004, 08:26 PM
How many of you out there do your own water impeller remove and replace on the Alpha 1? How difficult is it? Any words of wisdom are appreciated!
:D

1BIGJIM
05-27-2004, 03:52 AM
Simple. Going off memory 4 bolts to seperate upper and lower, and two hold the pump on. After you do it once or twice it will become a two beer job. :D Over the years I have found it easier to not remove the drive from the boat. Getting the seal(driveshaft) on the Alpha is always a challange. Buy a manual and give it a try. You will save alot of $$$$$

mirvin
05-27-2004, 09:31 AM
Anyone happen to know the proceedure for a VP 290??
mirvin

Super D
05-27-2004, 02:12 PM
He BigJim,
Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate on the issue of the seal being an challenge? I have the manual, but there always seams to be a snag once everything's torn apart. Any info is helpful!
:wink:

1BIGJIM
05-28-2004, 03:11 AM
On the Alpha drive there is a round seal 4 or 5 inches that goes inside the bellhousing. When the outdrive is bolted up it creates a seal to keep the water out of the Ujoint bellows. What I learned to do was clean off the area around the big spinner nut and used crazy glue to hold it in place. If you don't get it on correctly you will notice a drip coming through the gimble bearing on the inside of the boat.
Again if you have not taken the outdrive off the boat don't. It makes no sense to do so. You can seperate the upper and lower parts of the outdrive while its on the boat. You are only concered with the lower. All though it makes good sense to grease you ujoints every year.:D