PDA

View Full Version : rod bolt installation

h2ojet001
05-26-2004, 09:30 PM
I decided to install the new arp rod bolts, before I damage the rod or the bolt can someone tell me the proper way to drive the bolt into the rod far enough to put the cap on. Thanks
Barry

Cheap Thrills
05-26-2004, 10:06 PM
heres what I do it may not be the correct way but it works for me .
method 1
cut a piece of tubing (copper or aluminum) just shorter than the exposed threads on the bolt in the rod and grab a few flat washers , line up the flat section of the bolt to the rod slide the tubing over the bolt add a flat washer and the nut and tighten it down drawing the bolt into the rod .
it may help to warm the rod up a bit propane torch or oven just dont let the MRS. know :D
C.T. :wink:

HammerDown
05-27-2004, 04:33 AM
Barry, don't know how true this is but I was always told when using new bolts such as ARP etc. one must have the Rods reconditioned! Something you may want to look into.;)

cstraub
05-27-2004, 06:12 AM
After putting the bolts in them, you need to check the housing bore against factory specs. If not and the housing bore is out, you'll know after about 10min. of run time..
Chris

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-27-2004, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by HammerDown
Barry, don't know how true this is but I was always told when using new bolts such as ARP etc. one must have the Rods reconditioned! Something you may want to look into.;)
Thats what I thought too.

h2ojet001
05-27-2004, 07:27 AM
You guys are right. I just called the machine shop and he told me he needs to resize the rods with the new bolts. That should take care of the bolt installation. Originally when I had everything done I kept the old bolts in the rods and he didn't ask me if I was going to put new bolts in. oh well another lesson learned. At least I am learning all these lessons before I put it together. This may clear up the problem I am having with the one rod clearance being very marginally acceptable.
Barry

Cheap Thrills
05-27-2004, 08:22 AM
That is a good point I didnt mention . but isnt that standard procedure when building an engine is to check clearances ?
anyone that tears one down and and doesnt check clearances should put down their vise grips and take it to a qualified builder.
C.T. :wink:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Right on, take the rods to the shop and have them resized. Then make sure you tell him to torque the rods to the manufacturer specs for the rods. Then you torque the rod bolts to the specs that they were resized at. that will clear up any questions. Oh yeah and one more thing, take the crank to him while you are there;) Let us know if you need anymore help
396;)

GofastRacer
05-27-2004, 06:42 PM
Anytime you R&R rod bolts you should use a rod vise, tap the old ones out and put the new ones all the way in and then get the big end resized it's mandatory, the only exception is if you run capscrews!...

h2ojet001
05-28-2004, 07:05 AM
I just dropped the rods and crank at the machine shop and told him to install new bolts and resize and to let me know what torque value he used. Also told him to remeasure the crank journals so I can compare his readings against mine. I was really hoping to put the bottom end of the engine together this weekend but no such luck. I guess its better to be safe then sorry later. Thanks for the info everyone.
Barry