PDA

View Full Version : OK, so I'm buying a loader....

roostwear
05-26-2004, 10:16 PM
Anyone have a preference? I have prices from MPD, Rex and CP, and there's a fairly large difference dollarwise between them. I'm sure it comes down to who has the best design, but if I'm having to grind it anyhow, I might as well save a couple $$ if I can (the wife made me say that)
Opinions, experience with these or others?

HBjet
05-26-2004, 10:52 PM
you get what you pay for....
not to piss anyone off, but how many custom loaders do CP and REX make? How many boats do REX and CP make loaders for and change designs to meet the boats requirements?
Just my opinion
HBjet

Cas
05-26-2004, 11:31 PM
try Duane at Hi-Tech, Walt at Walt's HB Service or Jim Coffey at Performance Jet. All 3 of them have been making custom loaders for quite awhile, real good ones too.
btw, Rex and Cp don't make headers, water valves, distributors, ignition boxes, etc....yet they sell them. Point being is they buy from lots of places that custom make many items.

HammerDown
05-27-2004, 04:27 AM
I got mine from Tom Papp. This loader was of his design and what he found to work best for a 21 Daytona Hull.

ChetCapoli
05-27-2004, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by HBjet
you get what you pay for....
HBjet
Yeap HB and you paid well for what you got! :D
Seriously, you get many different results with loaders..everyone is different and works different in each boat. One that cost the most might make you go the slowest and vice versa. I tried over 7 different loaders in my boat and what you would think would work didnt while the basic stuff that looked like it took a half hour to make by say... MR. Jethydro...worked the best. I'd say borrow a few to give you a baseline especially if you might cut it up. Everyone has self pieces, just ask slowy..he might have some. Word has it there next to his 5 pairs of bassett headers he buys a year.
That performance jet guy has those white lightening loaders..they look pretty good.......could be pricey.....another one that was chased away that had some good info around here. Got tired of eating donuts must be.
Time to go find some drama....
CHET

Cas
05-27-2004, 06:38 AM
Jim Coffey's White Lightning loader is pretty good looking with some excellent results. Not sure what they sell for but when I was over at his shop a couple of weeks ago, he was saying he's having trouble keeping enough supply for the sudden demand.

hack job
05-27-2004, 07:20 AM
i have a old one that cp and rex sell , then i bought one that jack makes and it was a huge differance. just my .02 the ones jack make are moe taylored to your bottom and pump were as the others are more a of a generic version ( i should also say that others do make custom ones i have never tested one so they could be jsut as good as jacks iam just going off my personal experiannce);)

Cas
05-27-2004, 07:25 AM
here's a link that has a lot of the pump guys on it for referrrence and contact info
LBBA Links Page (http://p210.ezboard.com/fclassic***boatsfrm19.showMessage?topicID=1.topic)

old rigger
05-27-2004, 07:37 AM
Hey roost,
I'd stick with Jack. You can drag your boat down to him and he'll know exactly what you're dealing with. You won't be dealing with some long distance set up. Plus, ya gotta find some one who's up with e pumps. As you well know, that's a whole different deal.
I saw where your boat ran mid 60s! That's outstanding with that set up. I can't wait to hear what #s you get after the addition of the heads (and what ever else you have planned up you sleeve).

roostwear
05-27-2004, 07:39 AM
All good advice, and points out my dilemna. Quite a few of the names listed have excellent reputations. I'm not really looking to eek out the last 1/2 mph, but there isn't any way to really narrow down the choices from MPD, Tom Papp, HTP, Don's, etc. Hell, I don't even know if I'll pick up ANYTHING at this point.
Anyone have a loader for an E they can let me try out?:D

roostwear
05-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by old rigger
I saw where your boat ran mid 60s! That's outstanding with that set up. I can't wait to hear what #s you get after the addition of the heads (and what ever else you have planned up you sleeve).
As it is now, Shelley hates going out on speed runs. Obviously, nobody rides in the bow now, so I'm thinking I need another boat to give me a speed fix. I spoke with Jack, and he seems to think at speed, the water is bypassing the intake, and I need a loader for some bite. That would explain how loose it feels now. From what I've seen, it looks like I'm reasonably aired out at top speed, and he's probably right. I'll try the loader first, and if it reponds well, then the heads. Worse case, I use the heads on the roadster instead:D

HBjet
05-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Roost, where would Lance go? go with that choice.... haha!
HBjet

roostwear
05-27-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by HBjet
Roost, where would Lance go? go with that choice.... haha!
HBjet
You wouldn't find him running an E pump, though. :frown: If I hit 70, I'll be fine with it. How fast do ya REALLY want to go in an open bow, anyhow?:eek:
Have you heard from Lance or Debbie lately? With JBG and Billy B coming out for FC2, he may want to come out and play!:D

HBjet
05-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Haven't talked to them since the races....
I know Lance wouldn't run an E.... I mean't where would be go for a loader for his boat.. no matter what the pump is?
Go there
HBjet

victorfb
05-27-2004, 09:21 AM
are the intakes differant on the E pumps than the G pumps? i have a loader and a ramp grate sittin in the shop, but they fit my G pump. your more than welcome to try em out but im not sure they will fit.

HBjet
05-27-2004, 09:53 AM
yes, they are way different.
HBjet

roostwear
06-01-2004, 01:48 PM
Picked up the loader from Jack today. I'll be installing it this week, and testing this weekend. This is the last thing I'm doing to this boat, so if I can hit 70, cool. If not, It's a good excuse to find a Hondo to build. :D I really didn't even HAVE to buy the loader, but I got it in my head that I'd like to see how much a loader would improve my speed. This'll be a good boat for Shelley and Dana to drive... dependable and not too fast.

roostwear
06-01-2004, 06:31 PM
I started mounting the loader today, and although this really only applies to people with E pumps, it might be of some benefit.
No before pictures.... everyone knows what a stock rock grate looks like, right?
A shot of the ramps from the back
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/896l1.jpg
And the side
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/896l2.jpg
From the rear mounted
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/896l3.jpg
And a shot from the side
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/896l5.jpg

mgar_red
06-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Roostwear,
did you consider installing an E shoe kit from Duane? I don't know if it was that, or because I had to replace my impeller after seeing a chunk missing out the back, but I picked up 2 mph. The impeller came from Jim Coffey and was race prepped to flow more water. I'm thinking the shoe/rideplate may have helped pick my heavy stock SJ up just a little.
Mike

roostwear
06-02-2004, 05:07 AM
I hadn't heard of the shoe kit, although I did wonder if someone made one. This is the last modification I'm making to it. If I pick up a few mph great, but, taking this boat much faster doesn't make $en$e. My wife and oldest son can use this one, I'll build another for speed (mine) :D

roostwear
06-06-2004, 07:11 PM
ust got back from "testing" (I like saying that.... makes it sound like I do more out there than consume beer), and the loader was a bust. I hit 68.3mph downriver with a 2 mph current. At BEST, I picked up 2 mph. Kinda bummed I didn't break 70, but oh well. I'll do that on the next boat. :rolleyes:

Rubths
06-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by HammerDown
I got mine from Tom Papp. This loader was of his design and what he found to work best for a 21 Daytona Hull.
I also got mine from Tom Papp. The man knows his shit about jets and how to get them to perform perfect!