PDA

View Full Version : modifying a rail kit

tahitijet
05-26-2004, 10:39 PM
My stringers are to close together for the front and rear motor plates of my rail kit to sit properly on the rails. I'm going to have to do some minor triming to make it sit correctly.
I have 2 concerns in doing this.
1. should I trim the front and rear motor plates? or notch the rails?
2. on the starter side rear there is only about 1/4" of material under the hole for the starter. I'm giong to have to cut into this essentially leaving a simi circle in the motor plate unless I notch the rail.
Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on how this will effect the strenght of the rear plate?
thankshttp://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709P5220288-med.JPG http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709P5220289-med.JPG

HBjet
05-26-2004, 10:44 PM
How hard would it be to have 2 new plates made for your boat. I think you would want as much strength as possible, and when you have to start trimming away at the motor plates, and you question the strength... it can't be good. For piece of mind, I would have new plates made.
HBjet

HBjet
05-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Also, it looks like there is a good gap between the inside rail and your stringer.... whats up with that? I would want that rail right up against the stringer as flat as possible.
HBjet

tahitijet
05-26-2004, 11:02 PM
when i took the picture the rails were just sitting there loose and motor suspended by a hoist. they do sit up tight. when bolted down
There is mroe then enough material in the plates the only part that really worries me is that area around the starter, but i don't see how i could build a plate to get around the issue of that starter hole having to be there.. any suggestions?
thats why i was thinking of taking a small notch out of the start side rail so the rest of it sat flush then triming the other side motor plate till it sat right. But thought i'd ask here first.
thanks for you input

cruser
05-26-2004, 11:56 PM
I would think the strength of the plate is not dependant on the metal on that side of the starter. The plate is there to prevent the motor from spinning on the end of the driver line. The combination of both plates does that. Apparently this set up came from another boat? If so, you need to insure that the motor will be set in there at the proper angle in relation to the drive and at the correct height. You might have to do what I am doing. Go to a top mount starter?
cruzer

Cole Sanger
05-27-2004, 06:39 AM
Would it be possible, considering the angle of the driveline, to put the rails on the top of the stringer and then the plates to the top of the rails? It would move the rails out about two inches on both sides.

superdave013
05-27-2004, 06:52 AM
I'ed cut the plates, not the rails.
Don't worry about the starter hole. If you look at kits like the one that High Tech sells they don't even go around the bottom of the flywheel.