PDA

View Full Version : 454 Mag with a Whipple

gimprvr
06-20-2001, 09:55 AM
I am in the process of installing a Whipple on my 454 mag. Does anybody have any experience with this setup. If so what type of hull is it in? What RPM's, prop are you running? How much boost do you have it set at? Have you had any reliability issues? Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated.

Laveyman
06-21-2001, 01:03 AM
Hey gimprvr,
I have the same motor and am definitely going with the Whipple also. I just gotta wait til my divorce is final before I can get ahold of Dustin and do it. I'm also interested in the same questions you have. A friend of mine just had one installed by Whipple on his new lavey 27' cat with an HP500EFI. That thing SCREAMS with the Whipple in it. 95 all day long. The only reliability issue I've heard of to date is the outdrive failures due to the added torque/HP.

gimprvr
06-21-2001, 12:49 PM
Hey thanks for the information. I hope uyou gte yours sooner than later. How much HorsePower does your buddy think he is getting out of that setup?

Laveyman
06-21-2001, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure. Blown Lavey are you there to answer this one for him????

gimprvr
06-29-2001, 09:32 AM
C'mon, doesn't anybody have or know someboody that has this setup? How about a 502 with aWhipple on it. Whipple says the stanard setup runs at 6lbs of Boost. Does this sound too high? Is anybody.... Scratch that, Who is running higher?

Laveyman
06-29-2001, 11:39 PM
gimprvr,
Here's a few links to another, very active message board. There are literally dozens of posts there about Whipples, including many posts from Dustin Whipple himself. There's a wealth of info on this topic here. Enjoy!!!
http://www.offshoreonly.com/cgidir/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001712
http://www.offshoreonly.com/cgidir/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000166&p=
http://www.offshoreonly.com/cgidir/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001763

gimprvr
07-02-2001, 10:06 AM
Thanks for all the great links Laveyman. I am feeling very good about my decision to go with the Whipple. I'll see you out in Havasu and Parker. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Laveyman
07-02-2001, 09:48 PM
No problema!!! Make sure you post your results so us non-blown folks can be jealous! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

gimprvr
07-03-2001, 07:38 AM
You got it. I can't wait. I'm expecting to have my Maiden Voyage the weekend of the 21st in Havasu. I'll see ya there!

metz1
08-08-2001, 02:54 PM
I installed a Whipple on my 454 22ft. Scarab with excellent results. it went from 70mph to 80 on gps. I installed it my self and can tell you its top quality engineering. I replaced the 25 pitch prop with a 30 pitch bravo and now run 4800 r.p.m. My next boat {260 Velocity} will have one on it right after the warranty runs out. I should add that I changed exhaust to EMI.

gimprvr
08-09-2001, 04:07 PM
Thanks Metz, It looks like I'm making an entire engine change. I am going to move into a 502 with the Whiple. I'll let you know how things go....

Blown Lavey
08-12-2001, 07:58 PM
Only thing you have to worry about now is breaking drives.Mine starts idles runs like no tommorow.Cant say enough good things about it.

gimprvr
08-14-2001, 09:11 AM
what kind of drive and gear ratio are you running? what prop selction Lavey?

Blown Lavey
08-14-2001, 10:48 AM
I am using a stock 32 bravo four blade with 3-4 onboard and full tanks.I have 1.5 ratio xz bravo.I havent done any lab testing with other props as I will change the gear ratio after this summer.1.5 gears kill top end speed as the props you have to use are very inefficent (sp).I have a lab 31 to try for labor day and also I am trying to get a hold of Havasu Cat to try his labbed 32 just to see performance diffrences.Best speed is 96 mph gps with 2 people and 40 gallons of gas.

gimprvr
08-14-2001, 11:44 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong. If someone were to have a 1:36 gear set instead of a 1:5 then you could prop down so to speak. In other words, if I was running a 1:5 and a 32 then I switched to a 1:36 then I would maybe prop down to a 28? If that's the case then wouldn't the 28 help with planning and midrange?

Blown Lavey
08-14-2001, 04:50 PM
In theroy the 1.5 is supposed to be easier to plane and all but the slip with the big props sucks!I have a few friends that are going through the same thing with larger props and 1.5 gearing also.MrHavsucat is getting gears swapped in his boat right now.You could ask him and he will tell you the same thing.Also smaller props are easier on the drive.As far as midrange thats debateable.Oh one other thing,there are a lot of 28 and down bravo props out there compared to 32 and up to try.Hope this helps.

ToddW
08-27-2001, 03:24 PM
Installed a whipple on my 2000 Eliminator 260 Eagle with a 454. When from 68 to 81 (Radar,Havasu). Only a few minor installation issues.

skijake
08-28-2001, 04:02 PM
gimprvr
Will be at the islander this weekend. Last time I talked with Jim Bell he will be there also.
Hook up with me at site 138 you know the taylor dunn and we can talk to Jim

gimprvr
08-28-2001, 04:59 PM
Hey Skijake I'm going to Parker this weekend. I've decided to take a drive down to Lostlake to watch the drags. I appreciate the offer. I'll most likely be up the weekend after Labor day, How about you?

Hercules
08-29-2001, 11:04 AM
I've installed 3 454mag whipple kits. Whipple delivers as advertised. Expect about a 200hp increase with easy starting and an oem idle. Average speed increase of about 12-14mph on deep-v pad bottom boats in the 26-30ft range with single engine. 2 of the boats now have 3 boating seasons on them and have had no reliability issues. You'll need to increase prop size 2 pitches, ie. from a 24 to 28 or 23 to 27. Boost run on all 3 boats is 7lbs. The instructions are very detailed and easy to follow. You'll need to install a low water pick-up nose cone or an offshore pick-up if y don't have a Bravo performance drive. I'd recommend installing a fuel pressure gauge as well as a boost gauge. Its also important to have access to a merc scanner to check knock values upon installing the Whipple just to make sure everything is ok. If you're already running a 26 pitch or larger prop, I'd seriously consider changing the drive gearing, especially if its a single, unless its a cat. Running a 30 pitch and larger prop with a single V-hull gets tricky, you might run into lots of ventilation problems and handling probs.

gimprvr
08-29-2001, 11:26 AM
Hey Hercules, thanks for all the great information. It's really helpful, You mentioned three boats, do you have a cat? Talk to me alittle more about the handling. I am installing into a 26ft cat.

Hercules
08-29-2001, 07:27 PM
Sorry, no cat.....yet. I had problems proping a '98 272 Formula Fastech equipped w/502 that I Whippled. The boat came from the factory w/ 1.65 ratio Bravo with a 26 pitch Bravo1 prop. The boat ran 67mph stock on gaffrig speedo. After the whipple charger any prop larger than a 28pitch produced nothing but blowouts. I could get the boat to plane but applying power above 3500rpms was not possible. The right prop in theory was a 30 Bravo1, but it wouldn't work. Upon calls to Mercury and Hydromotive, the conclusion was the large pitched blades of the 30 Bravo1 was causing excessive stern lift causing the prop to grab air and cavitiate. I was told this was not uncommon with single v-hulls trying to run a large prop..especially if the hull is of the stepped type or if you're running a high X. Both Mercury and Hyro stated the boat would run faster spinning a smaller prop faster, than a larger prop slower. Ended up swapping the drive ratio to 1.5 turning a 28 Hydro right at 5000rpms and 81-83 speedo readings. The boat handles well, and runs very level...( the hydro prop has more stern lift than the Bravo1 ) but is a little tricky getting on plane. I believe the best prop will probably be a 28 Bravo1 turning about 5300rpms. I've had the ecu's recalb to a 5450 rpm limit which should provide enough room to spin the 28 Bravo1. Anyhow..I understand the above prob. doesn't apply to Cats. Goodluck with your ride...ps. I've heard a Cat gains closer to 20mph with the Whipple!

skijake
08-30-2001, 09:28 PM
Gimprvr
Found out Jim will not be there this weekend anyway.
I Have to work the following weekend and the weekend after that might go depends on if the Hallett is ready........