PDA

View Full Version : Spoonerisms ...

FMluvswater
05-27-2004, 07:02 AM
... aka metathesis=the act of switching things around in phrases, sentences, or words- basically swapping sounds. Usually this happens by accident, particularly if you're speaking fast.
Became widely known as Spoonerisms; named after the Reverend W. A. Spooner (1844-1930) who was Dean and Warden of New College in Oxford, England. Spoonerisms are words or phrases in which letters or syllables get swapped. This often happens accidentally in slips of the tongue (or tips of the slung!):
Some examples:
Tease my ears (Ease my tears)
A lack of pies (A pack of lies)
It's roaring with pain (It's pouring with rain)
Wave the sails (Save the whales)
Reverend Spooner is reputed to have made these verbal slips frequently.
-- paraphrased from information found at Fun With Words (http://www.fun-with-words.com/spoonerisms.html)
I like Spoonerisms they make me laugh. :D Just thought I'd post about them and see if anyone has any good Spoonerisms to share. :)
I haven't gone to bed yet. It's raining here and sometimes that makes my 'eggs lake' ;) ... this is the case right now; been keeping me awake all night. I think just maybe I'm exhausted enough to fall asleep anyway. I hope so. Night ... uhh ... ttfn. :)

malibuken
05-27-2004, 07:09 AM
Tig Bitties :D

Debbolas
05-27-2004, 07:12 AM
and the famous.........
bass ackwards :D

Scream
05-27-2004, 07:12 AM
We had a refrigeration guy that did our maintainance and repair. He was possibly the worst business man I've ever met, but trying to listen to his endless bullshit and babble got me thinking.
We have in one of our offices a group of cubicles. In the middle of the cubicles is a wire raceway. When some one spouted knowledge we'd write it down and post it to the "Cone of Knowledge" much like the "cone of silence" of Maxwell Smart fame.
This refrigeration mechanic made the cone quite frequently.
Before Y2K, we were talking about the different end of the world senarios and plans people had over a few beers. We started talking about what we'd be doing when the clock struck 12. He mentioned that several women were trying to have the 1st baby born in the new millenium. "Ya, did you know that women are trying to have the first baby born in 2000. There's some sort of price (prize) for this. They're taking fraternity (fertility) drugs and everything".
My brother walking by during this conversation heard what he said and saw the beer spewing from my nose. He turned and said, "you mean they're smokin pot to get pregnant? Whooda thunk it" and walked off. Off to the cone of knowledge...
This guy had so many of these we just got used to it. Kinda like Norm Crosby, if you remember him, but he did it on purpose.

LaveyJet
05-27-2004, 07:25 AM
I like the fairy tale of Rinder Sella, the girl with the Mugly Other and two Sad Bisters.
At the Moke of Stridnight, she Stan down the Rairs and Slopped her Dripper.
Well, you know the rest
:D :D

uvindex
05-27-2004, 07:42 AM
I read this one someplace, can't recall where... A small child reciting the Pledge of Allegiance with the following words, "I led the pigeons, to the flag..." :D

Waldo
05-27-2004, 08:10 AM
This is a great ocean boat name:
FOG DUCKER!

FMluvswater
05-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by LaveyJet
I like the fairy tale of Rinder Sella, the girl with the Mugly Other and two Sad Bisters.
At the Moke of Stridnight, she Stan down the Rairs and Slopped her Dripper.
Well, you know the rest
:D :D
I forgot about that one! As soon as I read 'slopped her dripper' I started to laugh! :D The pigeons to the flag bit was funny too! :D
Scream I have met people like that guy ... I've even attempted to gently correct a few ... now I don't bother! :D Some of them have argued that they used the right word. I have an auto-correction censor now (a silent one)- I hear/read what they meant not what they said. ;) :D Pobody's nerfect. :)