PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Stainless impeller

BrendellaJet
05-27-2004, 07:36 AM
For a Jacuzzi 12wj. Im told they exist, but are rare. Anyone?

GM Killer
05-27-2004, 02:27 PM
DON'T BOTHER!!!
By the time you find one, and spend the money on it and the install, you could have installed a new intake and be running a real pump.

BrendellaJet
05-27-2004, 02:39 PM
well, not to burst your bubble or anything, but my pump has about $2500 worth of modifications, (MPD stage 3 work). Jack says its gonna be equal to the best of the berks, and smoke all the rest. With the power I plan to run though, Id like to replace the aluminum, even though it is more substantial than a berk aluminum. When my boats done, Ill let you swallow some of my roost and see if you still think its a waste of money.:D

toad polumsky
05-27-2004, 04:04 PM
A.T. sells a conversion kit with a stainless impeller for 2500.00 . And they work a hell of a lot better than any "worked over" Jacuzzi stuff. It seems like you guys would do some checking before you dumped the price of a new jet into your old one!

BrendellaJet
05-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Have you actually tried this? Jack seems to think that this pump will propel my boat to over 100mph. I didn't see the need to swap if he says its that capable. Why go through the work?(Id go berk, not ATs "energizer"-they work good for the axial flow Jacuzzis...). It may not be popular, but they were competitive back in the day. Considering the technology has not come very far in the last 25 years, Im thinking this pump is gonna do fine.

Hustler
05-27-2004, 09:49 PM
your WJ will be fine, if it was a YJ I would definitly go to the energizer, Check with Jim Brock at Cyclone or Duane at Hightec those guys always seem to have that kinda stuff laying around.

ChetCapoli
05-28-2004, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by toad polumsky
It seems like you guys would do some checking before you dumped the price of a new jet into your old one!
There was a saying around here..."why question a knowlegable pump guru?"....i gotta admit though...2500 is alot of money when im sure that pump was done cheaper than that and probably works better than the 2500 conversion. Some of these pump mfg's need to get their pricing in line with original berkeley stuff.....when you can trade your old pump(whatever it may be, whatever condition) and get a new pump with diverter for 2000 why would you think about really anything else?? Like rebuild kits...often imitated but not duplicated.
CHET

Jake W
05-28-2004, 05:07 AM
Chet I see what you are saying.
But the MPD pump probely has a ride plate and shoe,clearences have been set up tighter than a stock pump.And it has been flowed meaning it can flow more water than a stock pump,the pump he has is mixed flow pump like a Berk.
And if you add up the money he would have spent to have the berk put in he would have a stock pump agine with more money spent for the pump and install.
Though I would rather have the Berk too in the end it would cost him alot more than 2500 to make the berk comparable to the flowed Jusuckie.
Jake:D

Danhercules
05-28-2004, 07:39 AM
I dont get it. So what, If he wants to put the money in it, let him. I think its cool that someone is getting a pump that everyone says, "Its junk, get rid of it." and gonna make it run.
GOOD FOR HIM!!! I like when people try new things.

BrendellaJet
05-28-2004, 07:42 AM
Thats part of the reason I went with it. I thought about glassing the intake back up so I could start from scratch, , but that would have been too much work I think. I'll see how it goes, Im thinking its gonna surprise a few people.
As far as impellers go, I PM'd Jim Brock and he said he has seen a bronze and a stainless for the WJ. Mentioned that he might be able to get his hands on the bronze one...Whats it worth, and how much stronger is it?

GM Killer
05-28-2004, 07:53 AM
[i]Originally posted by Brendella
When my boats done, Ill let you swallow some of my roost and see if you still think its a waste of money.:D [/B]
__________________________________________________ __
You can try, but my Berkley wont be caught by many. Good luck in the project. :cool:

BrendellaJet
05-28-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by GM Killer
__________________________________________________ __
You can try, but my Berkley wont be caught by many. Good luck in the project. :cool:
Well since yours is already built and mines not, why dont you post some pics and details of your set up so i know how much money to spend.:D

GM Killer
05-28-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by BrendellaJet
Well since yours is already built and mines not, why dont you post some pics and details of your set up so i know how much money to spend.:D
Im at work and do not have any pics here, but I will tell you what Im running. In a light weight 18' CP Gullwing, Im running a setback stage 5 Berkley by Jim Guthrie, a Guthrie intake installed by Jack McClure, custom loader grate by Guthrie, and the bottom was blueprinted by Jeff Bennett. Money wise, it was about $3800 for the pump, $1500 for the intake, $200 for the grate, $1k for the jet-a-way, $1500 for the hull blueprinting.
Of course this is an extreme way to go, but price wise it cant be beat. I run a stage 4 pump, with minor intake work in my Hallett and have about half that amount in that set up

HBjet
05-28-2004, 08:33 AM
Im at work and do not have any pics here, but I will tell you what Im running. In a light weight 18' CP Gullwing, Im running a setback stage 5 Berkley by Jim Guthrie, a Guthrie intake installed by Jack McClure, custom loader grate by Guthrie, and the bottom was blueprinted by Jeff Bennett. Money wise, it was about $3800 for the pump, $1500 for the intake, $200 for the grate, $1k for the jet-a-way, $1500 for the hull blueprinting.
Of course this is an extreme way to go, but price wise it cant be beat. I run a stage 4 pump, with minor intake work in my Hallett and have about half that amount in that set up
Have you ran that boat yet with that purty blue/chrome Ford motor in it?
HBjet

BrendellaJet
05-28-2004, 09:00 AM
Damn. That sounds impressive. But all that pump aint gonna do a damn thing without the power to push it, whatcha got?

GM Killer
05-28-2004, 09:34 AM
To answer Bren and HB: Thank you HB for the "purty" compliment. The motor was fired last week, just buttoning up some loose ends for completion of the overall project. Its got to be just right, but then again when does that ever happen. It will be doing some testing in the next week or so, but it should be very close right now.
For Bren's question, Im running a 562 Ferd!!! With some "purty" polished heads, intake, a couple of carbs, and I bought one of those new King Enduro fuel pumps, of which I am curious if anyone else is running one or seen 'em being used.
In short, Ive got the power to push the pump.

BrendellaJet
05-28-2004, 09:49 AM
NICE! Ill have a 548 Chevy, single carb dealio- but maybe Ill need more pump after all? Too Late, if it dont haul the mail, Ill buy another boat. Ive been toying with the idea of a supercharger. but Im already over budget-I blame this website for that!

GM Killer
05-28-2004, 10:03 AM
NICE! Ill have a 548 Chevy, single carb dealio- Im already over budget-I blame this website for that!
Sounds like a nice ride. I just dont like to see people throw away good money after bad.
As far as being over budget.....well....ARENT WE ALL!!! In fact, the term "over budget" should not even be allowed to be used here. Reality, as well as history, has shown us that there is no "budget", because these projects never end and there is always room for improvement. So these "budgets" are open until the cash flow stops completely, or the boat goes away.

ChetCapoli
05-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Sounds like a nice ride. I just dont like to see people throw away good money after bad.
Funny when you think that way and express yourself all you get around here is "yea...so what? it's my money and if i want to spend it it's up to me!" bla bla bla
Who is jim gutherie? Interesting he takes the nod over HBjets man.
CHET

BrendellaJet
05-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by ChetCapoli
Funny when you think that way and express yourself all you get around here is "yea...so what? it's my money and if i want to spend it it's up to me!" bla bla bla
CHET
I can see your point if I was asking for opinions on whether or not the pump was capable. Fact of the matter is, I wasn't asking that. Go back and read my first post, then the second, and you'll realize that he brought up his opinions first. A friendly exchange ensued, and nobody was bashing each other, so why are you trying to turn it into that? Nevermind, dont answer. You need to think before you speak chet.

GM Killer
05-28-2004, 10:34 AM
CHET
Jim Guthrie holds the record for Comp Jet, and built Joe LaKamps boat who holds the record in Ski Jet. Six boats with DNE motors run against Jim's boats, and Jim beats them all. He knows what he is doing, ask Jack McClure, he knows him well. Jim doesnt have a shop like Jack or others, he does his work more as a side job.
As far as spending money goes, I am nobody to talk. I piss away as much money as anybody, but why do it if you dont have to

schiada96
05-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Jim Guthrie holds the record for Comp Jet, and built Joe LaKamps boat who holds the record in Ski Jet. Six boats with DNE motors run against Jim's boats, and Jim beats them all. He knows what he is doing, ask Jack McClure, he knows him well. Jim doesnt have a shop like Jack or others, he does his work more as a side job.
As far as spending money goes, I am nobody to talk. I piss away as much money as anybody, but why do it if you dont have to
Not trying to start anything outher than a laugh but isn't this the boat that was to race Guru for a game of leapfrog?

American Turbine Man
05-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Looking for Stainless impeller
How much power do you have?
ATM

BrendellaJet
05-28-2004, 02:59 PM
ATM, im expecting to have 800 or so. Hence the reason for the search...I want to avoid having another brand impeller cut down to fit if at all possible...I know that memeber wsuwrhr cut down a legend impeller to fit in his WJ, but I understand this is cost prohibitive.

American Turbine Man
05-29-2004, 11:10 AM
I really hate to see you Guys taken like this!
First; It is going to be almost impossible to find a WJ stainless or bronze impeller.
Second; With 800 hp you can't run an aluminum especially without a shoe-ed intake.
Third; That WJ bowl is never going to flow enough with all the pretty grinding work in the world.
FINALLY YOUR PUMP GUY KNOWS ALL THIS
ATM

BrendellaJet
05-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by American Turbine Man
I really hate to see you Guys taken like this!
First; It is going to be almost impossible to find a WJ stainless or bronze impeller.
Second; With 800 hp you can't run an aluminum especially without a shoe-ed intake.
Third; That WJ bowl is never going to flow enough with all the pretty grinding work in the world.
FINALLY YOUR PUMP GUY KNOWS ALL THIS
ATM
Interesting response. Here's some text cut from an email correspondence with my pump guy:
"Hi Jack
I have a question about the pump (Jacuzzi 12 WJ- B impeller ) Im working with DNE to build a motor, and plans for the motor have changed. My BBC block was spent, so im moving up to a 540. Im not sure on the power figure, but its likely going to be well over 700. Boat will have aluminum heads and a big hydraulic roller cam. Will I need an A impeller? Or will the B work better? Jeff Bennett indicated that he has seen a Hondo hull safely do well over 100mph (mine is a copy). What do you think it will take in terms of power to go 90-100 mph? Is my pump capable?"
"Hi Brian
Your Hp escalation opens a can of worms! A "B" impeller is still going to be ok, but with the power you are talking about, that impeller probably should be SS. And Jacuzzi "W" SS impellers are VERY rare. I would start searching now, 'cause it might take a while to find one.
Another option would be to run the aluminum imp that you have and check it often for cracks. You might get lucky.
Still another option.....convert the shaft & impeller to Berk style. That would allow you to run an easily obtainable bronze or SS impeller.
700 Hp should get you around 90. The jet can do it."
ATM, please explain where I got taken. Jack could have sold me another pump, and since it would be stock and the stock stuff is not as pretty as mine is now, Id have to pay to get it that way.
I've got a lead on a bronze impeller. If I need to go the berk impeller route, I will. But Id rather go Jacuzzi just to prove naysayers wrong.
Ride plate-Got it.
Back cut shoe-got it
Stage 3 flowed bowl-got it.
Custom Loader-Got it.
Seems like you feel threatened that an old pump is going to do something that your new pumps could do-For a lot less money.

American Turbine Man
05-29-2004, 07:20 PM
Seems like you feel threatened that an old pump is going to do something that your new pumps could do-For a lot less money
No, I don't feel threatened at all. Maybe I mis-understood what you were trying to accomplish. If you are trying to run a hundred with a Jacuzzi impeller and bowl, good luck. After reading the e-mail from your pump guy he seems a little reluctant "Your Hp escalation opens a can of worms". What I am saying is; that after you have replaced the shaft and impeller there's still the bowl. I don't believe you can get enough water through a Jacuzzi bowl to run a hundred unless you have a 1400 lb boat.
When we were testing our WJ Engergizer kit we tried to use the Jacuzzi bowl to keep the cost down. We found that the bowl added as much improvement as the impeller.
I hope I haven't offended you, good luck with your project.
ATM

BrendellaJet
05-29-2004, 08:46 PM
ATM-No offense taken...or meant.
Not sure what Jack meant by the can of worms. I think maybe he is referring to the impeller. My original goal was 80 mph. When it turned out I could get a deal on a used merlin block, the goals changed.
Perhaps I will give your kit some consideration. I have never seen anyone compare the two. Were you comparing a stock WJ bowl to yours? Would be interesting to see how they compare on a real world lake boat with power like mine where the benefits would likely show given the increased performance abilities. If my boat does a hundred with the parts I have now, then I think that my point will have been made.
Tell you what-when my boat is done(March 05) Ill buy your kit if you can prove to me that my boat will be a better performer with it. Only way to prove it to me would be a back to back test. Would you be interested in that? If not, perhaps you can give me some more detail on your testing(hull, power, modifications...)
Thanks ATM.

wsuwrhr
05-30-2004, 07:44 AM
I want to avoid having another brand impeller cut down to fit if at all possible...I know that memeber wsuwrhr cut down a legend impeller to fit in his WJ, but I understand this is cost prohibitive.
I modified the nozzle side to accept Berk style add-ons. Noone that I know of makes a droop for Jacuzzi. I remember the diverter for the Jacuzzi being around $200 more.
Before the hyd trim.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/63droopad.jpg
After the hyd trim. I took this shot right after I got the pump back together from the impeller catastrophe.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63pumpshot.JPG
This is what happens when the loader is setup incorrectly. I had a friend of mine gundrill the shaft I made also.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63brokeimp2.jpg
Brian

wsuwrhr
05-30-2004, 07:57 AM
To answer Bren and HB: Thank you HB for the "purty" compliment. The motor was fired last week, just buttoning up some loose ends for completion of the overall project. Its got to be just right, but then again when does that ever happen. It will be doing some testing in the next week or so, but it should be very close right now.
For Bren's question, Im running a 562 Ferd!!! With some "purty" polished heads, intake, a couple of carbs, and I bought one of those new King Enduro fuel pumps, of which I am curious if anyone else is running one or seen 'em being used.
In short, Ive got the power to push the pump.
Here it is.
Brian
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63thebeast.jpg

hack job
05-30-2004, 11:26 AM
gm the motor loosk great!.i have a 501 ford putting out like 735 with those blue thunder heads as well. they kick some serious ass once they have been ported.;) well worth every dime!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3583DSCN2627-med.JPG

American Turbine Man
05-30-2004, 11:27 AM
BrendellaJet An offer you can't refuse.
When you get ready to purchase a WJ kit, if it doesn't out perform your Jacuzzi impeller and bowl. I will take the kit back and return your money, if you buy it direct.
ATM

BrendellaJet
05-30-2004, 12:46 PM
BrendellaJet An offer you can't refuse.
No kidding. We will see what happens!

Anthony75
05-31-2004, 11:14 AM
Brendellajet, any luck in the finding of a ss or bronze impellar I have had the same work done to my jacuzzi as you have. The next phase of engine mods will put me into the danger zone with the stock aluminum impellar

GM Killer
05-31-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by hack job
gm the motor loosk great!.i have a 501 ford putting out like 735 with those blue thunder heads as well. they kick some serious ass once they have been ported.;) well worth every dime!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3583DSCN2627-med.JPG
HJ yours looks good!!! How much work has been done to your heads and intake? What intake are you running? It took a lot of work to get my intake to work with the heads, but it was worth it in the end.
wsuwrhr...thanks for the pic. I lost all those when my comp died.
(it breaths!!!)

HBjet
05-31-2004, 09:55 PM
Jim Guthrie's hull is the sister hull to Jerry Hicks "Hot Tub" Both very fast. Jim gets some of his pump work done by Jack, so did GM Killer.
GM, where are you going to take it out, not Parker are you?
HBjet

ChetCapoli
06-01-2004, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by HBjet
Jim Guthrie's hull is the sister hull to Jerry Hicks "Hot Tub" Both very fast. Jim gets some of his pump work done by Jack, so did GM Killer.
HBjet
I was wondering when you'd chime in ol buddy! These kind of threads are something you cant resist! So there isnt anyone out there taking the trophies with SOME KIND of pump work by your man is what you want to clarify??
Wonder why all these guys with WJ's dont plan on spending for the future and just go for the kit?? I would think your man would know this ahead of time HB and instruct these guys differently knowing they will be putting in more power later???? A money back guarantee on top of it all! That's what i wanna hear!! Why would you do it any other way???
American turbine chearleader signup's coming soon.......
CHET
P.S. BOAT IS POSSIBLY SOLD....STAY TUNED.

hack job
06-01-2004, 07:56 AM
HJ yours looks good!!! How much work has been done to your heads and intake? What intake are you running? It took a lot of work to get my intake to work with the heads, but it was worth it in the end.
wsuwrhr...thanks for the pic. I lost all those when my comp died.
(it breaths!!!)
GM
well the heads were ported pretty dman good . andthen the intake was port matched again!;) so it helped out. its a weiand tunnel ram with two 4779's on top. the head out of the box sucked ass the only up side is the chevy exhuast port( good for my lightings) they flowed like 300 intake and 280 exhaust and then after porting it was 380 intake and 330 exhaust. i was very happy wiht the out come.;)

BrendellaJet
06-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Wonder why all these guys with WJ's dont plan on spending for the future and just go for the kit?? I would think your man would know this ahead of time and instruct these guys differently knowing they will be putting in more power later????
A money back guarantee on top of it all! That's what i wanna hear!! Why would you do it any other way???
Maybe because Jack knows something that others aren't willing to admit? Is it possible that tha WJ when done up right can keep up or even beat up on a newer pump(let alone a 30 year old Berkeley?? Jack could have sold me a new pump, and I would have paid for it. The fact that he didn't tells me that he doesn't think Ill need it to achieve my goals-or that the blueprinted pump is better.
Given Jacks reputation, I'm betting on him that my pump is gonna surprise even you Chet. Time will tell, the sooner the better. If I am not impressed with the results, I will certainly consider the ATM kit and let all know what the results were.

GM Killer
06-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by HBjet
GM, where are you going to take it out, not Parker are you?
HBjet
Im not sure where it is going first. Might just take it to Ming.

MAXIMUS
06-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Killer have you seen the Trick Flow sheet metal style cast aluminum tunnel ram & heads! My buddy is running a 600 inch ford with this set up on it! Seems to work very well!:)

HBjet
06-01-2004, 03:48 PM
I was wondering when you'd chime in ol buddy! These kind of threads are something you cant resist! So there isnt anyone out there taking the trophies with SOME KIND of pump work by your man is what you want to clarify??
Sorry I haven't been that active Chet.... Let me catch up.
MPD 949-631-2040 Marine Performance Designs 949-631-2040
Is that better???
HBjet:D

MAXIMUS
06-01-2004, 04:32 PM
No actually HB you forgot to mention... ask for Jack!!!:D

BrendellaJet
06-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Time to get back on track here....Still looking for a stainless or bronze Jacuzzi 12 WJ impeller...
Anyone? Will trade for a race prepped aluminum if you know anyone who has one...

wsuwrhr
06-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Im not sure where it is going first. Might just take it to Ming.
I will be in Bakersfield this weekend if you need a shoe GM Killer.
Brian